GI re-enters the match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just to let everyone know that GI has re-entered the match. This may make it less competitive but probably not.

Members don't see this ad.

the AGA website makes no mention of a new match system. also, people applying to GI for the upcoming year are definitely not dealing with a match. where did you get your info? :confused:

Our program director just emailed us this week too. Applicants for fellowsips starting in 2007 will be in the match. If anything, it makes applying easier on the new schedule!

imim03 said:
the AGA website makes no mention of a new match system. also, people applying to GI for the upcoming year are definitely not dealing with a match. where did you get your info? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would this make GI less competitive?

if anything, it'll make applying more hectic. it sounds like many programs (half maybe?) won't be participating in the match. i can imagine that many applicants would still be pressured to accept a position before the "match programs" even begin interviewing in january. i would think that a scenario like that would just undermine the whole intent of the match.

ReMD said:
Just to let everyone know that GI has re-entered the match. This may make it less competitive but probably not.

I don't think the match will work. I know there are a whole bunch of programs will not participate in the match this year (many good ones, too). They will select out good candidates before the match process begin. By the time you get to the actual match period, you will see very few empty GI spots left over with a large number of applicants. You know how the exact same thing happeded in late 1990s when the match failed.

june015b said:
I don't think the match will work. I know there are a whole bunch of programs will not participate in the match this year (many good ones, too). They will select out good candidates before the match process begin. By the time you get to the actual match period, you will see very few empty GI spots left over with a large number of applicants. You know how the exact same thing happeded in late 1990s when the match failed.

In order for a specialty to register with the NRMP, guidelines state, ahemm [clears throat], and I quote: "at least 75% of the programs with available positions must make at least 75% of their positions available throught the match."

So no, there won't be a whole bunch of programs out of the match. By applying through NRMP, you should be able to get at the bulk of positions in the country.