Gi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unc12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone was considering going into GI. It seems to be catching up to Cardio in competativeness. Can anyone give me some insite on the lifestyle a gastroenterologist has?

One GI doc that lectured at our school said that GI was so "in demand" right now that the ave. GI doc can make anywhere from 350,000-750,000 right now. He did roll up in a H2, if that means anything. hahah

Members don't see this ad.

The lifestyle of a GI doc is better than a Cardio doc. The pay is similar, but the lifestyle tends to be more relaxed. Not as relaxed as rheumat or endorc. But definately better than cards. from what I heard a Gi doc works 65% of a cards guy and makes about the same money. Just my two cents:clap:

That sounds like a pretty generous estimate to me. I guess it would depend on where you spend the majority of your time (endoscopy vs. clinic, etc.). There are a few spots that I've seen that are still offerring around $400,000, though. Don't worry--the demand is great enough to keep GI a well-paid specialty for years to come.

Regardless...it's a better lifestyle than cards.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also interested in GI. I used to be intersted in cardiology but became more intersted in GI after an elective in my senior year.

It looks like GI has surpassed cardiology in competiveness in many ways. There are only~300 GI spots each year and they are not planning to increase the # of spots in near future. There are more than 750 cardiology spots and the # of spots are increasing each year. Cardiolgy has a central matching system. You will be ranking all of the interviewed programs and have a better chance to secure a spot this way. GI will remain out of match and there is no way of knowning where you get a spot. At my medical school, all of applicants to cardiology matched to thier top choices. However, only 3 out of 8 were able to secure GI positions this year. I heard that competiveness of the first year entering GI fellows are pretty much the same every where. They could end up at one of the top twenty or at one of the top 100 programs...a lot to do with how lucky you are...

I am an M1 who might be interested in gastroenterology. Let us assume that worse case scenario is a get straight passes in my m1 preclinicals, get some high passes and passes M2, get good recommendation my clerkships, and do abover average (but not sooo much) on the USMLE. What are some of the things that I would have to do to match gastroenterology? Do people match straight away into gastroenterology, or do people match into internal medicine and then from there decide if they want to go into gastroenterology and then try for it?

Thanks!

EVMS M1

Originally posted by butts-n-guts
That sounds like a pretty generous estimate to me. I guess it would depend on where you spend the majority of your time (endoscopy vs. clinic, etc.). There are a few spots that I've seen that are still offerring around $400,000, though. Don't worry--the demand is great enough to keep GI a well-paid specialty for years to come.

Regardless...it's a better lifestyle than cards.:thumbup:
350-750K is very reasonable for GI. I know of one private GI doc in my community making over 1 million, and a GI fellow from my school started at 450 K. A lot of offices have PAs/NPs to see all the f/u and handle all of the primary care work of GI, while they literally have factory lines of endoscopy after endoscopy. If you put in the hours, you can currently make a ton of money in GI. GI's hours are not nearly as bad as cards, but they are started to get called more for emergency consults for things like upper GI bleeders and pancreatitis/cholethisiasis. If you are part of a big group though, you can spread your call schedule out.

Originally posted by neurotrancer
I am an M1 who might be interested in gastroenterology. Let us assume that worse case scenario is a get straight passes in my m1 preclinicals, get some high passes and passes M2, get good recommendation my clerkships, and do abover average (but not sooo much) on the USMLE. What are some of the things that I would have to do to match gastroenterology? Do people match straight away into gastroenterology, or do people match into internal medicine and then from there decide if they want to go into gastroenterology and then try for it?

Thanks!

EVMS M1

That's great that you are thinking ahead. I encourage you to look into it. But regarding the process, you need to do internal medicine residency first, then you apply early in your second year of residency. (around July) Most people find out if they have matched by December.

Do well in your third year medicine clerkship, and do well on USMLE step 1. If you have time, try to do some research in GI in medical school. Find a GI attending doctor and make him/her your mentor, and ask them about the process. It would be better if they are involved in your local fellowship program.

Is that in some small rural town?

I thought the average salary for GI 3 years into practice was around 280K.

280K is exactly what the average is. In any specialty there are people who make a ton of money every year, but those are the exception rather than the rule. If you go into GI, chances are you'll be closer to the average guy than to one of those guys making 750K or 1M.

I think GI is awesome. After completing the first two years of medical school it was by far my favorite subject to study (we had a 4 week block on GI). The material was really interesting, but also the GI docs at my school who ran the block were hilarious, insanely intelligent, and appearingly happy. I'm pretty stoked on it. During our third year clerkships we have to do a longitudinal clinical experience with a doc over the course of the year. I have mine hooked up with a director of endoscopy at one of our teaching hospitals who was also one of our teachers for the block. Looking forward seeing a bunch of different procedures, clinics, and conferences. I'm really hoping that I'll feel like I fit in with the culture and what not.

Quick question for you residents or GI fellows, when you apply for fellowship do your step1 score and clerkship grades carry as much weight as when it did applying for residency? Or do they look more at where you did your residency training, research, and letters from mentors?

Hi, I am also interested in GI. GI has far surpassed the competiveness of cardiology in many ways. Cardiolgy is getting easier since there are many more spots available each year. Reagrding the application process, I heard you have to apply in your second year in residency (same as all other IM subspecialities). Let keep our interest high.

GI - the masters of the BM.

Originally posted by Kalel
A lot of offices have PAs/NPs to see all the f/u and handle all of the primary care work of GI, while they literally have factory lines of endoscopy after endoscopy.

dude, that sounds boring :sleep:

Souljah- Step 1 scores and clinical clerkship grades are not looked at as closely for fellowship as they are for residency. This is according to IM program directors that I have spoke with. However, your med school record (class rank, AOA, caliber of med school) is important for GI fellowship applications as you apply in July of your second year of residency. Because of this the only somewhat objective credentials they have on you is from med school. Most GI programs would love to say that all of their fellows trained at MGH or Brigham and went to med school at Hopkins.

In residency you are typically evaluated every 1-2 months; however, most residents get similar evaluations- ie. there are no Honors or other grades issued. Maybe task could comment more on this as he just started GI fellowship at a top GI program (Parkland/UTSW). Your best bet is to go to a top residency program, which coming out of UCSF should be no problem for you. Also important is contacts and LORs from big names in GI- maybe you could do some work with Sleisenger. Good luck to you. Crypt

Do they ask for your medical trasncript or USMLE board scores whe you apply for GI?

Crypt is right -- you get evaluations for every rotation you finish as a resident. When you apply to fellowship, you submit Step I and II scores (III if you've done that, too), med school transcripts, LoR, a resume, copies of publications, Chairman's letter (IM chairman), personal statement, some even wanted Med School Dean's letter (keep all those addresses and phone#s handy!), a slew of other stuff I don't remember off hand -- PM or email me if you want the whole list, and I'll look it up. In my opinion, what makes your application stand out is:

1. Excellent evaluations as reflected by your Chairman's letter and LoR, and if you come from a top IM program, that means more
2. Step scores (but importance varies from program to program, I think)
3. Med school stuff
4. If you have research, this augments but I do not think supercedes the others. I had no GI research, truth be told, but started a small project with some GI faculty while I was applying.

Letters from folks at a top or well regarded IM program open the door -- this cannot be emphasized enough. Step scores and med school stuff solidify the case. When you have the interview, seal the deal -- really shine and look like a sociable, competent but not arrogant person that these interviewers wouldn't mind spending three or four years with training you.

Bottom line, get into the best IM program you can get into, and work your tail off. Your best chances are where you went to med school and where you did residency.

As always, email, PM, or post questions for me. Always glad to help:clap: