Gift for Advisor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my advisor was totally awesome thru this whole process and I already sent the obligatory thank you email but now I think it would be nice to give him a gift. Is this weird? Also I was thinking a nice bottle of wine anyone with other suggestions? I didnt match at the program he is at and he knew I wanted to go elsewhere. Perhaps Im rambling.. ill just wait for the answers.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

EctopicFetus said:
So my advisor was totally awesome thru this whole process and I already sent the obligatory thank you email but now I think it would be nice to give him a gift. Is this weird? Also I was thinking a nice bottle of wine anyone with other suggestions? I didnt match at the program he is at and he knew I wanted to go elsewhere. Perhaps Im rambling.. ill just wait for the answers.. :)

I think you should buy him a car. I'm all for really helpful advisors getting a car.

Get him a new White coat with embroidered name. Cheesy? Perhaps, but it is a traditional gift of respect and admiration...

Members don't see this ad :)
My advisor was a super-mom at heart, so with my fiancee's help, I ended up getting her that Williams & Sonoma molten chocolate cake thing... she and her family really liked it.

NinerNiner999 said:
Get him a new White coat with embroidered name. Cheesy? Perhaps, but it is a traditional gift of respect and admiration...
Real good idea but attendings at this institution have to wear the coats supplied by said institution. Thanks for the thought..

BKN said:
I think you should buy him a car. I'm all for really helpful advisors getting a car.
Yeah :D I bet you are.. all that said Im guessing you got the new shelby.. If I wasnt swimming in med school debt I might consider it.. ;)

EctopicFetus said:
Yeah :D I bet you are.. all that said Im guessing you got the new shelby.. If I wasnt swimming in med school debt I might consider it.. ;)

No, thought about it hard but I went with the Chrysler 300C Hemi. Taking delivery this week. Looks and acts like a Bentley at 1/4 the price.

I guess my convertible days are over.

EctopicFetus said:

Definitely not weird - it's a nice gesture. As far as suggestions, do you know what his hobbies are or can you find out from one of the residents? My advisor has horses and loves to ride so I got her a gift to go with that hobby.

i got my fab advisor a gift certificate to a great restaurant in town...i like the idea of getting something personal/hobby oriented but if you are stuck a gift cert for dinner or a nice bottle of wine will never fail (unless the person doesn't eat or drink wine i guess...)

BKN said:
No, thought about it hard but I went with the Chrysler 300C Hemi. Taking delivery this week. Looks and acts like a Bentley at 1/4 the price.

I guess my convertible days are over.

Even though I have a BMW and am thinking of an M for my next model, the Charger and Magnum both have strongly caught my eye. My dad was a BIG Chrysler/Dodge guy forever, and he said that his 1957 300 was, hands-down, THE best care he EVER had.

Are there speed limits in west Texas (or none, like in Montana), or how stringently or laxly are they enforced?

Just last weekend, I saw a police car for Wrightsville Beach, NC - it was a Magnum! You gotta love it when any police car is not a Crown Vic or Caprice (or when a police motorcycle is a H/D - haven't seen a Buell as a police bike,yet, though!).

my advisor's office has sort of an asian art decor thing going on, so i bought him something that would go along with that theme. i definitely agree that it's not strange at all to give a gift of thanks, especially when you consider all the thank you notes you sent out during interview season to people that didn't help you nearly as much.

I had the most incredible Chrysler 300 for a rental car when I interviewed at UPitt in December. It was the last car they had even though I had booked an economy piece of crap. And it was no normal 300; it had 20" rims, blacked out windows, and a system that must have been installed just for Kanye West's visit to Pittsburgh. It had leather seats and it handled like no car I have ever driven. It even had that modified grill to make it look just like a Bentley. And I got to drive that car from Pittsburgh, to Cleveland, and back to Columbus. It was the best road trip of the season.