Gift for My Advisor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrangePaint

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an M4 currently applying into General Surgery. As it nears graduation, I would really like to give my advisor a gift in a appreciation for his help during my application. He really served as a mentor to me, always making time to answer my questions about the cycle and provide honest advice. I want to make sure he know how truly I appreciate this and would like to give him some parting gift before I graduate. I was wondering if the forum had any suggestion about what would be a nice gift to show my gratitude.

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying to that program, and doe your adviser have any say in whether or not you get accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Then, you know, get him whatever you think he would like. A bottle of scotch? The chance to hunt a man for sport?

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I mean, I would wait until after the match, as tempting as it is to curry favor. You don’t want to be seen as trying to buy your spot lol. Personally I would be uncomfortable with a student giving me a gift just because I know they bought it on loans. I think a card with a sincere note of thanks would be adequate. A coffee gift card if you absolutely feel like you must give something of monetary value.

Your impulse speaks well of you but true educators and mentors do it for the reward of seeing a mentee do well. The card/note of gratitude would be welcome and well received.

Reactions: 5 users
I mean, I would wait until after the match, as tempting as it is to curry favor. You don’t want to be seen as trying to buy your spot lol. Personally I would be uncomfortable with a student giving me a gift just because I know they bought it on loans. I think a card with a sincere note of thanks would be adequate. A coffee gift card if you absolutely feel like you must give something of monetary value.

Your impulse speaks well of you but true educators and mentors do it for the reward of seeing a mentee do well. The card/note of gratitude would be welcome and well received.

This. I agree with coffee gift card at most.

Thank You. I am planning on wait until after. I didn't want to go crazy but I thought just a small parting gift would be nice. Like a desk trinket or something like that. I just couldn't think of something right off the top of my head. And of course, I will certainly be writing a thank you note.

The more time I spend in medicine being able to afford the things I want (coffee and scotch) the more I realize I should have been buying people things like this as gifts all along (for those with link-phobia its a framed old timey glass syringe, aka "the hepatitis transferer")

One of my co-attendings once received an original vintage med corps poster from the early 1900's and I still think it's the single coolest thing in the world.

Edit - I do agree I never expect and always feel bad getting gifts from med students I've mentored. That being said, many are still going to do it and rather than get me a $50 bottle of scotch or a $25 starbucks gift card, get something I can put in my office and I guarantee I'll remember you forever - or until someone steals it.

The more time I spend in medicine being able to afford the things I want (coffee and scotch) the more I realize I should have been buying people things like this as gifts all along (for those with link-phobia its a framed old timey glass syringe, aka "the hepatitis transferer")

One of my co-attendings once received an original vintage med corps poster from the early 1900's and I still think it's the single coolest thing in the world.

Edit - I do agree I never expect and always feel bad getting gifts from med students I've mentored. That being said, many are still going to do it and rather than get me a $50 bottle of scotch or a $25 starbucks gift card, get something I can put in my office and I guarantee I'll remember you forever - or until someone steals it.

Thank you! Thats a good idea.

I LOVE that glass syringe and I will probably be ordering one for my office.... that being said, I think you can't go wrong with a bottle of wine and a heartfelt note. I have saved all the notes that I've gotten from med students, residents, or patients, and I read them frequently. They mean a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
I have been on both ends of this and I think the most meaningful gifts are ones that express the impact your mentor has had on your career. Cards are always nice, I got a little clock for my desk with a little poem about mentorship, and even got a “worlds greatest teacher” mug. I’ve loved all of these. I personally wrote a big long letter to my residency PD after I graduated fellowship about how meaningful and impactful she has been for me and she told me it was one of the best things she has received. So you basically can’t go wrong with a heartfelt expression of thanks.

If we are talking about gifts, then most it is best to ask the person himself. In case you whish to surprise the person, how about something unusual? Something excuisite like a custom bobblehead keychain would be cool. Some kind of funny gift and yet elegant in nature. You can also have a bottle of some good alcohol, depending on the person's drinking preferences of course. Many of us have a drink which we always wanted to try but never allowed ourselves to spend money on it. And if the person doesn't drink, then just go to a cafe and get some relaxing vibes together.

If we are talking about gifts, then most it is best to ask the person himself. In case you whish to surprise the person, how about something unusual? Something excuisite like a custom bobblehead keychain would be cool. Some kind of funny gift and yet elegant in nature. You can also have a bottle of some good alcohol, depending on the person's drinking preferences of course. Many of us have a drink which we always wanted to try but never allowed ourselves to spend money on it. And if the person doesn't drink, then just go to a cafe and get some relaxing vibes together.
You created an account just to bump a year old thread?

• Haha
Thank you! Thats a good idea.
I think the most powerful gift would be to wait. A year, two, maybe even three. But remember this person. And down the road write them a letter and tell them where you are and how far you made it, and that you remember everything they taught you and are thankful that you got to meet them and learn from them.

That would be an incredible gift.

Then, you know, get him whatever you think he would like. A bottle of scotch? The chance to hunt a man for sport?

I can’t believe there were a dozen posts subsequent to yours and everyone just glossed over “the chance to hunt a man for sport.”

Strong work, @HighPriest. One of the few things I’ve read here that made me laugh out loud. I think we would be friends in real life.

Reactions: 1 users
I can’t believe there were a dozen posts subsequent to yours and everyone just glossed over “the chance to hunt a man for sport.”

Strong work, @HighPriest. One of the few things I’ve read here that made me laugh out loud. I think we would be friends in real life.

In many ways a Van Gogh

• Haha
I am an M4 currently applying into General Surgery. As it nears graduation, I would really like to give my advisor a gift in a appreciation for his help during my application. He really served as a mentor to me, always making time to answer my questions about the cycle and provide honest advice. I want to make sure he know how truly I appreciate this and would like to give him some parting gift before I graduate. I was wondering if the forum had any suggestion about what would be a nice gift to show my gratitude.

Thank You!
Gift them a medical-themed NFT...lol

Gift them a medical-themed NFT...lol

59b00f0798aca_pinheadnecro2.jpg.c2eb73758dc93fd3c16f0c5d74403433.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users