Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Squint your eyes and look closer.
Status
Pharmacist
Are any of you who are applying for residencies getting a small gift or writing thank you cards for your references who write your letters of recommendation? I'm not sure which to do or what is appropriate, but I do want to thank them in some way for writing the letters.

ItsOverZyvox

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2008
Status
Are any of you who are applying for residencies getting a small gift or writing thank you cards for your references who write your letters of recommendation? I'm not sure which to do or what is appropriate, but I do want to thank them in some way for writing the letters.
Get $10 - $20 starbuck cards as christmas gift for your worthy supervisors and professors...including your reference providers. That takes away the bribe factor.

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Squint your eyes and look closer.
Status
Pharmacist
Get $10 - $20 starbuck cards as christmas gift for your worthy supervisors and professors...including your reference providers. That takes away the bribe factor.
For serious? That's a lot of cards... :D

About the Ads

Trancelucent1

Gator Girl :)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
Orlando, FL
Visit site
Status
Pharmacist
Last year I wrote thank you notes to all of my recommenders. I heard of other people giving gift cards but I didn't feel right doing it, even if it was a $10 card. At the minimum a thank you note is a must! Good luck!

ItsOverZyvox

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2008
Status

TCB

live and let live
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2003
Visit site
Status
A gave a box of chocolate to my recommender, she mentioned that she wanted it jokingly...

Hels2007

I bite
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2007
Boston metro area
Status
Pharmacist
I don't expect anything, but I would say a card would be enough. I wouldn't feel comfortable accepting a gift...

janeno

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think giving a gift card is a little bit too much: it might look like a bribe (in my personal opinion). Thank you card should be sufficient and is probably more professional.

Ilovecardio

but not endocrine
10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2008
Atlanta
Status
Pharmacy Student
I gave all of the people who wrote letters of recommendation for me a little gift basket along with a thank you note. I gave the gifts after they had all submitted their letters so it shouldn't seem like a bribe or anything. It is a lot of work to write all of those letters and I wanted to show my appreciation for the time they took to do it.

Pickles0709

10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
I waited until after the letters had been sent out and then wrote a thank you and gave a starbucks gift card. However, I don't think its really necessary to give anything if you don't feel comfortable doing it. Its really not expected.

About the Ads