Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Squint your eyes and look closer.
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Are any of you who are applying for residencies getting a small gift or writing thank you cards for your references who write your letters of recommendation? I'm not sure which to do or what is appropriate, but I do want to thank them in some way for writing the letters.

ItsOverZyvox

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2008
Status (Visible)
Are any of you who are applying for residencies getting a small gift or writing thank you cards for your references who write your letters of recommendation? I'm not sure which to do or what is appropriate, but I do want to thank them in some way for writing the letters.

Get $10 - $20 starbuck cards as christmas gift for your worthy supervisors and professors...including your reference providers. That takes away the bribe factor.

About the Ads

Trancelucent1

Gator Girl :)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
Orlando, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist

Last year I wrote thank you notes to all of my recommenders. I heard of other people giving gift cards but I didn't feel right doing it, even if it was a $10 card. At the minimum a thank you note is a must! Good luck!

TCB

live and let live
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
A gave a box of chocolate to my recommender, she mentioned that she wanted it jokingly...

janeno

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I think giving a gift card is a little bit too much: it might look like a bribe (in my personal opinion). Thank you card should be sufficient and is probably more professional.

Ilovecardio

but not endocrine
10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Atlanta
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I gave all of the people who wrote letters of recommendation for me a little gift basket along with a thank you note. I gave the gifts after they had all submitted their letters so it shouldn't seem like a bribe or anything. It is a lot of work to write all of those letters and I wanted to show my appreciation for the time they took to do it.

Pickles0709

10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I waited until after the letters had been sent out and then wrote a thank you and gave a starbucks gift card. However, I don't think its really necessary to give anything if you don't feel comfortable doing it. Its really not expected.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.