Gift or cards for references?

Started by Glycerin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are any of you who are applying for residencies getting a small gift or writing thank you cards for your references who write your letters of recommendation? I'm not sure which to do or what is appropriate, but I do want to thank them in some way for writing the letters.
 
Are any of you who are applying for residencies getting a small gift or writing thank you cards for your references who write your letters of recommendation? I'm not sure which to do or what is appropriate, but I do want to thank them in some way for writing the letters.

Get $10 - $20 starbuck cards as christmas gift for your worthy supervisors and professors...including your reference providers. That takes away the bribe factor.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are any of you who are applying for residencies getting a small gift or writing thank you cards for your references who write your letters of recommendation? I'm not sure which to do or what is appropriate, but I do want to thank them in some way for writing the letters.

Last year I wrote thank you notes to all of my recommenders. I heard of other people giving gift cards but I didn't feel right doing it, even if it was a $10 card. At the minimum a thank you note is a must! Good luck!
 
A gave a box of chocolate to my recommender, she mentioned that she wanted it jokingly...
 
I think giving a gift card is a little bit too much: it might look like a bribe (in my personal opinion). Thank you card should be sufficient and is probably more professional.
 
I gave all of the people who wrote letters of recommendation for me a little gift basket along with a thank you note. I gave the gifts after they had all submitted their letters so it shouldn't seem like a bribe or anything. It is a lot of work to write all of those letters and I wanted to show my appreciation for the time they took to do it.
 
I waited until after the letters had been sent out and then wrote a thank you and gave a starbucks gift card. However, I don't think its really necessary to give anything if you don't feel comfortable doing it. Its really not expected.