Is it wrong to have 4 references for residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gorgonzola

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can I submit 4 references for the residencies I am applying to? They all require 3 and I wasn't sure if it would be a bad thing or a good thing to add a 4th. What are your thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
 
Bad thing for sure. We ignore the 4th one, whichever one it is, and may hold it against you for not following directions. You can have 4 people write you a reference and pick and choose which program gets which reference (like if one program is heavy on transplant for example and one of your writers is a transplant preceptor, submit that one) but don’t submit all 4.