Happy Holidays - my gift from ENT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Once again, great discussion from everyone. I will try to summarize what went down.
When I met the pt in pre-op he was sitting somewhat semirecumbent and his voice was hoarse. He was pleasant and anxious to get going. He stated that his breathing was better after the steroids but his wife said that today was not as good as the past few days. She was very concerned. She felt like he was not going to do well.
I had him brought to the PACU where I gave him OV glyco and a lido neb. Then I followed with a viscous lido swish and swallow.
In the room I set up the pedi FOIscope with a 6.0 flex tip ETT. And a glidescope #4 with a 6.0 ETT. I also setup my extremely airway tools. A 14g IV catheter with a 3c syringe and a ETT connector for jet ventilation. But because of the tense rutty feel of his neck and trachea I didn’t want to stick this in there at any point. I brought the lot back to the OR and he was getting real nervous. I had Remi ready to go. ENT was standing at his side and trach set was ready.
Monitors on and in a semi recumbent position I gave him 1mg of versed. This is when the **** started to get real. He was out and I couldn’t mask him. But if I shouted his name he would open his eyes. So I told him to take a breath and he would give a halfass effort. Now I could assist him and all was better. Sats never dropped. I then decided I wanted to know where his trachea was so I inserted a 25g needle with 4% lido where I thought his trachea was and I go air, thanks god, but it was deep and not normal. Transtracheal injection complete and I topicalized his nares as well with plans to go through one but that never happened. ENT and I thought maybe a quick peek with the GS would be a good idea at this time. It wasn’t. I very carefully inserted the GS and barely used and force and we could see nothing on the screen but edema. And now there was blood in the posterior pharynx. I came out and assisted his breathing again and he was coming around a little more as well. Eyes are opening off and on without prompting him.
We thought about going to the trach now but I was worried about the difficulty of that and I had never done an awake trach with this ENT before. I was not easy to relinquish control of this situation. This turned out to be the correct move. I grabbed the FOI scope which had the screen display and slowly worked my way down the back of his mouth. Blood was present and kept smearing my screen but I found the epiglottis which was the appearance of a pediatric epiglottis. It was narrow, curved and very very stiff. I snaked my way past it and there was nothing behind it except for a fold of tissue. We agreed that this must be the glottis opening and I put the lens right in it. Screen was black and I gently applied pressure. I could feel the scope moving down but it was extremely tight and I was concerned that he couldn’t breath much less that I couldn’t get a 6.0 tube to follow. At this point he truly could not breath which caused him to cough mildly. That was just what I needed. When he coughed the scope advanced some and the second time he coughed I made it past the obstruction and the carina was in site. We couldn’t believe it. Now the tube was meeting resistance and the same thing happened. About two gentle coughs and I was in. I confirmed ETCO2 and off the sleep he went.
ENT started the case with the right thyroidectomy for tissue and it was a bloody f’n mess and took at least an hour and a half. She then asked me if we could do a trial extubation and I said no way. There was no way I was gettting back in that trachea in an emergency and she knew there was no way she was doing a trach in an emergency so she agreed to trach him right then. That took another 45 min I believe. It most complicated one I’ve been a part of for sure. Bloody, distorted and tight.
The best part of the story was when I went out to tell his wife what we did she stood up and hugged me and said “I love you”. I’ve never had that happen before.

In hindsite, I’m not sure what I would do in this situation again. I guess I would approach it the same way. Maybe no glidescope look though. And zero sedation but I’m still not sure why he was so sensitive. I would probably having him sitting more upright and I would stand in front of him while passing through the nose with him awake. That my usual approach anyway. But once I gave him the versed, I could no longer go that route with him sitting upright.

He went home 5days later after 2-3 days in ICU. And is starting treatment for Bcell lymphoma.

Thanks everyone for participating in this case. Fire away!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 30 users
As a side note, it’s unlikely his nadalol is for HTN, it’s almost certainly to decompress his esophageal varices.

Reactions: 1 user
And to everyone who said anything about ECMO, cut it out. I don’t want that nonsense ending up in my ICU. If you put someone on ecmo with metastatic cancer, forest- meet trees.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In hindsite, I’m not sure what I would do in this situation again. I guess I would approach it the same way. Maybe no glidescope look though. And zero sedation but I’m still not sure why he was so sensitive. I would probably having him sitting more upright and I would stand in front of him while passing through the nose with him awake. That my usual approach anyway. But once I gave him the versed, I could no longer go that route with him sitting upright.

He went home 5days later after 2-3 days in ICU. And is starting treatment for Bcell lymphoma.

:bow::bow::claps::claps:

IMHO the only 2 ways to start this case are awake trach or awake FOI. I think no sedation but maybe a little precedex to take the edge off. It appears the positive pressure from the coughing was the magic you needed to get his airways to stent open wide enough. And at the end of the case, I am 100% with you that it requires a trach. It is an unrescuable airway postop and the patient needs a trach anyway.

Great case!!
I think it was ballsy to do the transtracheal injection
NIce job on that fiberoptic. Sounds like a textbook job.
And the decision to do the trach intraop prob saved his life.

Not easy decisions. Requires Judgement. A ton of it.

We did a lot of awake trachs in residency, but never with a mass that big and low. Kudos.

Had a similar case I cared for post-op that came in middle of night my CA-1 year. Totally healthy Vietnamese patient with SOB. CT revealed huge thyroid mass that extended below sternum compressing trach with 3mm opening. Thoracic surgeon and crew felt it was a goiter based on location/appearance, and they did inhalation induction with plans of GS/FOI. Patient went apneic. They couldn’t mask. Surgeon went to rigid bronch, which was their plan because he they thought it was goiter and the mass should “slide” out of way.

Welp. Wasn’t a goiter. Was primary tracheal SCC. Rigid bronch ripped hole in trachea. Subq air everywhere, sats dropping, bilateral tension ptx. Surgeon got out sternotomy saw, cracked chest, and cut into right main and put an ETT in. Prob 10 minutes of apnea.

Guy miraculously woke up next day, neuro intact.

Moral of story for me since then, not that anyone should ever do this anyway, but do not underestimate these infiltrating tumors with limited airway opening.

Reactions: 3 users
As a side note, it’s unlikely his nadalol is for HTN, it’s almost certainly to decompress his esophageal varices.
Sorry. That is true. And it caused some significant Bradycardia for the entire case and hospitalization.

I also didn’t mention the hemodynamics after the intubation. Let’s just say, this guy was not the picture of health.

In hindsite, I’m not sure what I would do in this situation again. I guess I would approach it the same way. Maybe no glidescope look though. And zero sedation but I’m still not sure why he was so sensitive.

With that level of obstruction, do you think it was possible that he was acutely retaining CO2 and was acidotic which contributed to hypersensitivity to a CNS depressant? I mean even independent of some suspected OSA?

Once again, great discussion from everyone. I will try to summarize what went down.
When I met the pt in pre-op he was sitting somewhat semirecumbent and his voice was hoarse. He was pleasant and anxious to get going. He stated that his breathing was better after the steroids but his wife said that today was not as good as the past few days. She was very concerned. She felt like he was not going to do well.
I had him brought to the PACU where I gave him OV glyco and a lido neb. Then I followed with a viscous lido swish and swallow.
In the room I set up the pedi FOIscope with a 6.0 flex tip ETT. And a glidescope #4 with a 6.0 ETT. I also setup my extremely airway tools. A 14g IV catheter with a 3c syringe and a ETT connector for jet ventilation. But because of the tense rutty feel of his neck and trachea I didn’t want to stick this in there at any point. I brought the lot back to the OR and he was getting real nervous. I had Remi ready to go. ENT was standing at his side and trach set was ready.
Monitors on and in a semi recumbent position I gave him 1mg of versed. This is when the **** started to get real. He was out and I couldn’t mask him. But if I shouted his name he would open his eyes. So I told him to take a breath and he would give a halfass effort. Now I could assist him and all was better. Sats never dropped. I then decided I wanted to know where his trachea was so I inserted a 25g needle with 4% lido where I thought his trachea was and I go air, thanks god, but it was deep and not normal. Transtracheal injection complete and I topicalized his nares as well with plans to go through one but that never happened. ENT and I thought maybe a quick peek with the GS would be a good idea at this time. It wasn’t. I very carefully inserted the GS and barely used and force and we could see nothing on the screen but edema. And now there was blood in the posterior pharynx. I came out and assisted his breathing again and he was coming around a little more as well. Eyes are opening off and on without prompting him.
We thought about going to the trach now but I was worried about the difficulty of that and I had never done an awake trach with this ENT before. I was not easy to relinquish control of this situation. This turned out to be the correct move. I grabbed the FOI scope which had the screen display and slowly worked my way down the back of his mouth. Blood was present and kept smearing my screen but I found the epiglottis which was the appearance of a pediatric epiglottis. It was narrow, curved and very very stiff. I snaked my way past it and there was nothing behind it except for a fold of tissue. We agreed that this must be the glottis opening and I put the lens right in it. Screen was black and I gently applied pressure. I could feel the scope moving down but it was extremely tight and I was concerned that he couldn’t breath much less that I couldn’t get a 6.0 tube to follow. At this point he truly could not breath which caused him to cough mildly. That was just what I needed. When he coughed the scope advanced some and the second time he coughed I made it past the obstruction and the carina was in site. We couldn’t believe it. Now the tube was meeting resistance and the same thing happened. About two gentle coughs and I was in. I confirmed ETCO2 and off the sleep he went.
ENT started the case with the right thyroidectomy for tissue and it was a bloody f’n mess and took at least an hour and a half. She then asked me if we could do a trial extubation and I said no way. There was no way I was gettting back in that trachea in an emergency and she knew there was no way she was doing a trach in an emergency so she agreed to trach him right then. That took another 45 min I believe. It most complicated one I’ve been a part of for sure. Bloody, distorted and tight.
The best part of the story was when I went out to tell his wife what we did she stood up and hugged me and said “I love you”. I’ve never had that happen before.

Well done. Crazy case. Were you on Santa’s naughty list this year?

When you did the transtracheal injection did you leave a catheter behind?

I know you mentioned he did not have evidence of hepatic encephalopathy, but some of these cirrhotics just need the smallest insult to make them obtunded. That could explain his reaction to the whiff of versed. He was also probably retaining CO2 like a champ.

With that level of obstruction, do you think it was possible that he was acutely retaining CO2 and was acidotic which contributed to hypersensitivity to a CNS depressant? I mean even independent of some suspected OSA?
Possibly. But he didn’t look that way

Thanks for posting this case @Noyac. The lesson for me in this is that masses seen on imaging can be dynamic. Judging by the CT, I wouldn’t think a 6.0 ETT would fit but I was clearly wrong.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

NINJA MASTER!!! :cool:

Reactions: 2 users
Woof- better lucky than good, though it helps to be both.

Also, for those advocating awake groin cannulation for VV ECMO- it would require the guy laying flat for a good while, which could be challenging (granted it could be done with reverse t-berg, but still). While I agree that usually extracorporeal support is a bridge to nowhere in these metastatic cancer patients, in this case it could have been a short term bridge to a trach- could have decannulated prior to leaving the OR. I know a pedi guy who did this for an autistic 2yo with horrible face/neck contracted burn scars.

Anyway, great case

And to everyone who said anything about ECMO, cut it out. I don’t want that nonsense ending up in my ICU. If you put someone on ecmo with metastatic cancer, forest- meet trees.

Heh

Well, back up a little. They've made the decision to biopsy and treat this patient's cancer. If we as anesthesiologists are consulted to get her through the biopsy and trach, we're obligated to do it as safely as we can.

Placing and running VV ECMO before starting a case like this is, IMO, prudent. The expectation is that she will wind up trach'd afterwards and not in need of the ECMO postop. Ie the ECMO is intended to be an intraop tool to bridge a predictably dangerous temporary period.

Think of it this way - this patient is at high risk of airway loss and a code in the OR. Imagine yourself with a lost airway after 1 mg of Versed, and today's just not your day, you can't move any air. Now you're doing chest compressions and praying that ENT can slash down to a hollow air-filled tube before too many brain cells die. In that moment, what are the odds you might think, gee, it's be nice to have an Avalon catheter in and running already?

I've seen my share of patients being cruelly tortured with ECMO, but that doesn't mean ECMO is wrong here.

Reactions: 6 users
Well done. Crazy case. Were you on Santa’s naughty list this year?

When you did the transtracheal injection did you leave a catheter behind?

I know you mentioned he did not have evidence of hepatic encephalopathy, but some of these cirrhotics just need the smallest insult to make them obtunded. That could explain his reaction to the whiff of versed. He was also probably retaining CO2 like a champ.
Yes. I think I said that his medical conditions must have played a part in the process.

No, I did not leave a catheter in the trachea because I was not going to jet ventilate him. I was planning on aborting before ever going down that road if I could help it. But I did do the transtracheal bc I wanted to know if I could get in and exactly where to go if I needed to do it in a rush. I was very torn whether or not to do it nonetheless.

Placing and running VV ECMO before starting a case like this is, IMO, prudent. The expectation is that she will wind up trach'd afterwards and not in need of the ECMO postop. Ie the ECMO is intended to be an intraop tool to bridge a predictably dangerous temporary period.

I agree with this.

The prognosis here is not as bad as it seems. This patient should live years with treatment. Treatment naive B-cell lymphomas tend to respond very well to chemotherapy. Sure we didn't know that at the time, but in the newly diagnosed cancer setting this is one of the reasons why I would have advocated for maximum attempt at stabilization to get to anti-cancer therapy.

While I agree that usually extracorporeal support is a bridge to nowhere in these metastatic cancer patients

Unless I missed it, we were never told that this was metastatic...

Excellent case noyac..... The transtrachial lido must have given you a little more relief as it lets you know your path to the airway to jet ventilate. This is a tough case and you did your best. An mlt tube is good for the case as it provides a smaller central lumen for surgical biopsy. Extubate over a tube exchanger?

Extubate over a tube exchanger?
If you are asking me if I extubated him over a tube exchanger, no. He went to the unit trached. Thank god.
When I have report to the ICU attending he was quite thankful by the way.
Those guys love to talk airway management, at least at my gig. This one got his attention.

I've come to appreciate that there's a distinct difference between keeping people alive in the OR (which we do every day) and saving someone's life, which is much rarer. You clearly did the latter. Thanks for the case discussion- hopefully there aren't any sadistic oral board examiners on here who will adopt the scenario for future exams....

We did a lot of awake trachs in residency, but never with a mass that big and low. Kudos.

Had a similar case I cared for post-op that came in middle of night my CA-1 year. Totally healthy Vietnamese patient with SOB. CT revealed huge thyroid mass that extended below sternum compressing trach with 3mm opening. Thoracic surgeon and crew felt it was a goiter based on location/appearance, and they did inhalation induction with plans of GS/FOI. Patient went apneic. They couldn’t mask. Surgeon went to rigid bronch, which was their plan because he they thought it was goiter and the mass should “slide” out of way.

Welp. Wasn’t a goiter. Was primary tracheal SCC. Rigid bronch ripped hole in trachea. Subq air everywhere, sats dropping, bilateral tension ptx. Surgeon got out sternotomy saw, cracked chest, and cut into right main and put an ETT in. Prob 10 minutes of apnea.

Guy miraculously woke up next day, neuro intact.

Moral of story for me since then, not that anyone should ever do this anyway, but do not underestimate these infiltrating tumors with limited airway opening.

I'm surprised you kept your bowels in check! That sounds like an absolute disaster

I've come to appreciate that there's a distinct difference between keeping people alive in the OR (which we do every day) and saving someone's life, which is much rarer. You clearly did the latter. Thanks for the case discussion- hopefully there aren't any sadistic oral board examiners on here who will adopt the scenario for future exams....

Nah, the oral boards case would be this patient, but posted for a ruptured globe. NO COUGHING.

Very well done!

Couple things.
That semi recumbent position he was in pre-op was the rescue position he needed to be in to allow air in past whatever mass he had. That's the exact position I would do afoi on him.

Cts overcall the mass affect

I wouldn't do anything different well maybe 1 or 2 things.

It doesn't really matter why midaz zonced him, but personally I only give midaz in the.afoi type sedation when it's like a submandibular abscess etc that I'm confident I can easily get beyond to a normal larynx. For this I would use precedex and lido only.

I probably wouldn't do transtracheal but once it's done, did you leave the catheter in there?

I probably wouldn't do glidescope until after he's asleep and the tubes in 'just for a look'. Honestly did you think the glide view would be good and useable?

The only means I see of doing this is afoi. No rescue technique whether it be trache, rigid bronch or ecmo seem like great alternatives and certainly not ''just sedation'.

This was a great read. Thanks for sharing. Makes me think through what I'd try first and is a nice challenge for me. Glad it turned out with such a positive outcome.

Very well done!

Couple things.
That semi recumbent position he was in pre-op was the rescue position he needed to be in to allow air in past whatever mass he had. That's the exact position I would do afoi on him.

Cts overcall the mass affect

I wouldn't do anything different well maybe 1 or 2 things.

It doesn't really matter why midaz zonced him, but personally I only give midaz in the.afoi type sedation when it's like a submandibular abscess etc that I'm confident I can easily get beyond to a normal larynx. For this I would use precedex and lido only.

I probably wouldn't do transtracheal but once it's done, did you leave the catheter in there?

I probably wouldn't do glidescope until after he's asleep and the tubes in 'just for a look'. Honestly did you think the glide view would be good and useable?

The only means I see of doing this is afoi. No rescue technique whether it be trache, rigid bronch or ecmo seem like great alternatives and certainly not ''just sedation'.
Ok, good points. But in my defense I will make a couple points.
-I prefer versed to precedex for a few reasons. First, I have had precedex not work in severely anxious pts more than once. I don’t like wasting time. Secondly, I wanted to use as little sedation as possible and to be able to reverse it if necessary. Can’t do that with precedex.
Next, I’ll admit that this was not the case for a glidescope but to be fair I have probably done as many awake GS intubation in the past couple years as I have AFOI. The gs can be as slick as anything there is.

Last edited:
there was a splenic lesion. I thougt I may have posted that. Maybe not.
You did. Which (on top of the improvement with steroids) is why I was thinking that this wasn’t a typical HNSCC or horrible thyroid cancer. Neither of those routinely met out to the spleen.

In this particular case, although he has “Stage IV” disease, it’s likely curable with chemo alone.

Nice work getting him through the biopsy and on to appropriate treatment.

To those suggesting empiric radiation, not generally a bad idea, but, as @Neuronix pointed out, there’s acute post treatment edema in every radiation case, which would have killed this dude without an established airway.

And now is my opportunity to be an ass and ask why, in a patient that we were certain had Stage IV cancer of some sort, why nobody went for the “chip shot” of the splenic lesion?

And now is my opportunity to be an ass and ask why, in a patient that we were certain had Stage IV cancer of some sort, why nobody went for the “chip shot” of the splenic lesion?
Because that would have been much deeper than the neck tumor, and they had already had a couple of failed FNAs? :angelic:

Because that would have been much deeper than the neck tumor, and they had already had a couple of failed FNAs? :angelic:
Core biopsy would have been relatively easy and not “directly “ risked his airway.

But the more I think about it, the less likely it is that IR would have done it if they’d looked at his neck CT.

Once again, great discussion from everyone. I will try to summarize what went down...

Holy **** I'm palpably sweating just reading this story.