Gimme some ideas to increase these metrics pelase

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sozetone

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I know im typically whining about the state of pharmacy, but i thought i should start a new, more positive thread. Check it out, i have a visit from the DM and regional EOM and i need some tips i can say i'm using to improve:

1) Adherence

2) Script Growth

3) improving digital engagement

keep in mind this is WM....

I already have doctor detailing, specialty pharmacy growth, handing out business cards as they walk in...Give me some cool ideas , whatever you got... thanks! I'll owe ya a cold one.....

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I know im typically whining about the state of pharmacy, but i thought i should start a new, more positive thread. Check it out, i have a visit from the DM and regional EOM and i need some tips i can say i'm using to improve:

1) Adherence

2) Script Growth

3) improving digital engagement

keep in mind this is WM....

I already have doctor detailing, specialty pharmacy growth, handing out business cards as they walk in...Give me some cool ideas , whatever you got... thanks! I'll owe ya a cold one.....
What particular metrics are they tracking for adherence?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
what are you currently doing for adherence?

Just wondering, as I’m not completely familiar with how this all works... How does WM look at adherence? Do they use internal data or EQuIPP? Also how does a patient discontinuing a med or changing dose affect adherence %? Which drug categories are being looked at? It’s just BP meds, diabetes, and statins right? What about asthma and COPD?

Reactions: 1 users
All of the following has been used at WM in case your market isn't doing it:

1) All your input people need to convert 30 to 90 day for Medicare claims because it provides more slack between fill dates. Now how you go about it legally or not is up to you, and your techs need to recognize the drugs that affect star ratings and the carrier/plan combos that correspond to Part D or Medicare Advantage plans.

2) Put clothespins on order bags that have the aforementioned drugs for only Medicare patients (can do this at VV since you will see the internal star rating for all old patients, not just Medicare pts) and have techs nag-call these patients to pick up before it gets RTS

If you aren't doing the above, this should help you clear 80% but it will take a few months.

I just want to point out that clinical mgr and MM bonus is based on market adherence so they have a decent financial incentive to make sure you guys get your adherence rate %, whereas your incentive is not to lose a 50 cent raise or get nagged.

In case people don't know what is being measured, the general definition of adherence is "percent of plan members with a prescription for [XXXXX type of ] medication who fill their prescription often enough to cover 80% or more of the time they are supposed to be taking the medication" (this is measured by PDC. PDC is based on claims data)

Diabetes - metformin, pioglitazone, DPP-IVs, Victoza/Bydureon/Trulicity, meglitinides, SGLTs. CMS rating excludes patients with insulin claims
Hypertension - RAAS drugs only
Statins

I think you take the loss if patient pharmacy hops (snowbird) or stops taking but I can't find any statement on that. That's why it seems like an easy bar to clear for a normal store with educated patients but "non-adherent" patients jack your **** up

Now that I looked at the metrics, I see they might be picking on you because your store is bottom 3 adherence in the market (so is mine) along with the script loss thing... the funny thing is like 3 stores in northern CA are even over 77%. LOL

Also if you want to go HAM on flu shot clinics next year you can be one of the stores that does 1500+ a year.

Now that I looked at the metrics, I see they might be picking on you because your store is bottom 3 adherence in the market (so is mine) along with the script loss thing... the funny thing is like 3 stores in northern CA are even over 77%. LOL

Also if you want to go HAM on flu shot clinics next year you can be one of the stores that does 1500+ a year.

Picking on me huh? so what do you forsee next? action plans....etc. ? just wanna know what you see happening.

what are you currently doing for adherence?

Switching 30 to 90 day supplies, enrolling everyone in text messaging (highest in my market) , faxing MD's offices with a nice letter asking to please switch your patients to 90 days to help foster medication adherence (someone here gave me that tip :) ) .....were really hustling ya know? but my store is in a "high theft area" LOL AKA "Ghetto"...it's pretty bad and we have low health literacy. Keeping these folks engaged is a real challenge. I'm proud of what i've done with this store since i took over in 2017. But eventually, you can only go so far in a ghetto store ya know? although management will die telling you you can be just as good as the one in Beverly hills.

Here's a nice non-bull**** answer that will at least be something that your boss won't have an immediate snark response to.

Gout – Medicare Access - HealthWell Foundation

Healthwell foundation is currently open for assistance for gout patients with medicare. So you're "targeting your patients on allopurinol and colchicine with high copays and helping them find financial assistance for their copays in order to increase complian"

You can also incorporate this into your business strategy for detailing local PCPs and rheumatologists as well. Specialty pharmacies rarely target gout, but there's lots of money to be had in colchicine

Reactions: 1 users
I think you take the loss if patient pharmacy hops (snowbird) or stops taking but I can't find any statement on that. That's why it seems like an easy bar to clear for a normal store with educated patients but "non-adherent" patients jack your **** up

My PCSM tells me that if the patient is a snowbird, the store that has the greater # of fills will get the adherence %. So if they go to your store 8 months of the year and another 4 months of the year, your store will get the adherence % from all fills (including their adherence at the other store since the largest % is at your store). Also, if you know a patient is off of a medication (totally D/C or change in dose), make sure you go to F7 and deactivate the script.