Girls, what are you wearing to interviews???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SFPredent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an outfit planned? Carrying a purse, briefcase? Just curious as to what is acceptable. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm wearing a pantsuit, light knit top, some fun jewelry, and unfortunately, heels. I forgot to get my pants into the tailor's in time to get them hemmed. I'm carrying a leather folio with a notepad to write down questions I can ask in the interview if they ask if I have any.....and I'm carrying a small purse. I had read somewhere that women should wear skirts, but that sounded a little stupid to me. So, I asked my sister in law who went to Harvard Business School and she said it never affected her to wear pants. So, if I can avoid pantyhose....I will :)

I know some schools list specifically what people should and should not where. Although I went on one interview last year and was shocked at how many people had apperantly not researched what the school recommended. Pants suits or skirts were listed as acceptable. I would just check out the website for the school you are interviewing at and see if they have anything listed.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=152610

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=194546

Here's a couple of decent threads on what to wear. Wear something conservative (pant suit or long skirt). Nothing too flashy or revealing. I've seen some pretty brave women at my interviews though (sleeveless furry turtleneck or tshirt+denim jacket) :confused: .

A purse would really be all you need (you don't need a briefcase). Although, they will probably allow you to leave your personal items in the room when you go on a tour (they'll lock the room). Some schools will allow you to bring your luggage with you if you plan on flying out after your interview. :luck:

Keep it simple. You dont want the interviewer to be looking at all that you have on instead of listening to your answers. Stay away from a lot of jewelry, its not a fashion contest. And make sure the shoes are a pair that you can walk around in, nothing worse than straggling behind in the tour because your shoes were great for sitting.

How about a nice blazer jacket with nothing but a hot red lacy bra underneath and then a super short mini skirt?

megaman1x said:
How about a nice blazer jacket with nothing but a hot red lacy bra underneath and then a super short mini skirt?
nice one bro
but i guess its even too hot for that :p

Any thoughts on what to do with hair? I read somewhere that it should be pulled back, but I look like a 12 year old that way. Is it that big a deal to just leave it un-ponytailed?

you could pull it half back with a small clip.

I dont think wearing a skirt is appropriate-PM me if you want to know why(dont want to start a war). I'm just going to wear a well-cut suit w/pants and a non-white shirt underneath. No heels, cause I cant walk properly in them, no long nails,no flashy jewelry,and hair up and back. Its not a fashion show,its an interviiiiieeeeeew.

by skirt, i meant a skirt that was part of a suit...i agree, i don't think a normal skirt is professional enough. Some schools actually prefer the skirt suits for the women. Although I think that is splitting hairs a bit.

megaman1x said:

:thumbup: well said! well said, brother!

I wouldn't recommend wearing really high heels. When I interviewed last cycle, we did a LOT of walking. My heels were 1" and I felt like I was dying. I felt really bad for the girls that wore the really big ones.

Wear something conservative like a pant suit or a skirt suit (with a jacket) in a neutral color (think black, navy, tan, if you're adventerous), a neutral color t-shirt and minimal jewelry. The hair thing doesn't really matter, but I wouldn't make it really crazy. I have really long hair and I just straightened it and left it down.

That's just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Skirts are fine as long as it's part of a suit set. I wore skirts to most of my interviews because it was warmer and I did not want to be baking in pants. But you should wear pantyhouse then and the shirt should be AT LEAST at the level of your knees. And in terms of suit colors, I saw everything from beige suit sets to blue.

As for the comfortable shoes, DEF. make sure you have something you can walk in. I dont think it matters if you keep your hair down or pull it back. I wore my hair down for most interviews and I saw many other girls with their hair that way as well. The one thing I did notice was that sometimes interviewees were wearing WAY TOO MUCH MAKEUP. It's an interview, not a bar. :laugh:

Last piece of advice, pack a lint brush with you to every interview you fly/drive to. It is a life saver. Good luck!

I was definitley planning on getting a skirt suit, but I just realized that that would probably require pantyhose and I don't think I can bring myself to do that. So I guess I'm going to start looking at a pants.

SFPredent said:
Anyone have an outfit planned? Carrying a purse, briefcase? Just curious as to what is acceptable. Thanks!

Do your research! We see almost all of those interviewing and everybody wears a dark pantsuit-it is terribly boring! If you interview at ASDOH, the dean will most likely make fun of you for wearing the dark suit and those interviewing you will also comment.

I think it will depend upon your background and personal style. Remember, if it is too strange those interviwing you will also comment- just not to you.

2009dmd said:
Do your research! We see almost all of those interviewing and everybody wears a dark pantsuit-it is terribly boring! If you interview at ASDOH, the dean will most likely make fun of you for wearing the dark suit and those interviewing you will also comment.

I think it will depend upon your background and personal style. Remember, if it is too strange those interviwing you will also comment- just not to you.

From what I was taught in a PROFESSIONAL school... women wear skirts. MANY have lost job opportunities bc they wore pants to the interview. Skirts are traditional. That's expected of professional women.

...of course, dentists may not know that!

I'm wearing a hot pink dress suit (skirt included). No hose. High heels. And pearls to make my white teeth stand out. :D You better believe they will remember me.....:thumbup:

DMD to Be said:
I'm wearing a hot pink dress suit (skirt included). No hose. High heels.

No underwear too? ;)

why would you wear pants!?!? you're just shouting to the adcoms that you are nothing but hyperventilating man-eating vegan. ooh, that was an oxymoron.