JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2003
Visit site
Status
Quick question, I have a few acceptances under my belt, and I don't know what I should do about them.

I have gotten into my number 1 choice, and I know for a fact that is where I will be attending. (Unless there is a major disruption in my life!) Should I give up my spots at the other schools now, or wait until May?

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
JDAD said:
Quick question, I am a few acceptances under my belt, and I don't know what I should do about them.

I have gotten into my number 1 choice, and I know for a fact that is where I will be attending. Should I give up my spots at the other schools now, or wait until May?
congrats! good job! :thumbup: and if you know for sure you know where you are going regardless of financial aid packages, then sure why not give them up and let them acept someone else who is waiting.

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
Honestly, truthfully, give it up now.

Read the "what did you do when you found out you got into medical school" thread. Imagine you giving that to someone.....

JDAD said:
Quick question, I am a few acceptances under my belt, and I don't know what I should do about them.

I have gotten into my number 1 choice, and I know for a fact that is where I will be attending. (Unless there is a major disruption in my life!) Should I give up my spots at the other schools now, or wait until May?

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, definitely give them up if you know you will not be attending them. And congrats, by the way! :D

OP
J

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2003
Visit site
Status
I'm pretty sure I am going to give them up, (i cancelled four interviews after I found out I got in) but I am just nervous about closing any doors.

Sarikate

Full of antioxidants
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2004
Status
Medical Student
The most important door opened for you. Don't be afraid to walk right in!

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Sarikate said:
The most important door opened for you. Don't be afraid to walk right in!
:thumbup: well said

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
Status
Seriously, if you got your number one choice and financial aid packages aren't going to make a difference, yeah, start making your moving arrangements now! Congratulations, that must feel great! Let's get those waitlists movin'! :thumbup:

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
This makes me wonder. Let's say we are in late March, someone like JDAD withdraws and a spot becomes opened, which applicant does the school review first?

applicant A: who interviewed late Jan and was put "on hold" because the class was full at the time

or

applicant B: who interviewed yesterday (late March) and has not received any notice (accept, reject, or on hold) post interview

Both applicants have the same GPA, MCAT, EC, same interview scores and if there were 2 spots open, both would be accepted. Unfortunately, only one spot is available.

My guess would be applicant B gets reviewed and accepted first. I don't think schools go back to the "on hold" group every committee meeting and re-evaluate everyone (on hold group and newly interviewed group). If that is true, isn't it not fair for applicant A?

striped sweater

That's the kind.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2004
Status
sdnstud said:
My guess would be applicant B gets reviewed and accepted first. I don't think schools go back to the "on hold" group every committee meeting and re-evaluate everyone (on hold group and newly interviewed group). If that is true, isn't it not fair for applicant A?
well, it is fair to whoever gets admitted. unfortunately life is always unfair for somebody. :confused:

guess that's why they call this process a crapshoot

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
JDAD said:
Quick question, I am a few acceptances under my belt, and I don't know what I should do about them.... Should I give up spo[r]ts ... or wait until May?
Perhaps you should go on a diet so you don't accept too much under your belt. And, don't give up sports. Seems to me that will only compound the problem. By May, you might have more than your midsection to worry about.

Code Brown

Low man on the totem pole
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
JDAD said:

If you don't want to give them all up, why not try giving up one to start with. That way, you've still got the other ones.

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
:laugh: Is she some sort of drug addict?

Code Brown said:
If you don't want to give them all up, why not try giving up one to start with. That way, you've still got the other ones.

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
GuyLaroche said:
Perhaps you should go on a diet so you don't accept too much under your belt. And, don't give up sports. Seems to me that will only compound the problem. By May, you might have more than your midsection to worry about.
Oh...my....gosh. WOW. Bloody horrible!

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
JDAD said:
Laroche is a tool, don't let him bother you.
:laugh: Yeah, I noticed that from some of his other posts.

Congrats, JDAD, on your awesome top choice acceptance! :D :thumbup:

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
JDAD said:
Laroche is a tool, don't let him bother you.
JDAD, don't be mad at me 'cause you posted some silly and unfounded observations on some thread. I had hoped I was helping you and not bothering you.

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
Ambs said:
:laugh: Yeah, I noticed that from some of his other posts.

Congrats, JDAD, on your awesome top choice acceptance! :D :thumbup:
What other posts? Listen, I am only trying to help.

OP
J

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2003
Visit site
Status
GuyLaroche said:
JDAD, don't be mad at me 'cause you posted some silly and unfounded observations on some thread. I had hoped I was helping you and not bothering you.

I'm not mad at you, but that doesn't mean I don't think your a c:eek:ck. Almost every post I have read of yours is pointless.

About that other thread, I am not going to start a war over something I know is 100% true. Have a good life without friends you knob.

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
JDAD said:
I'm not mad at you, but that doesn't mean I don't think your a c:eek:ck. Almost every post I have read of yours is pointless.

About that other thread, I am not going to start a war over something I know is 100% true. Have a good life without friends you knob.

Thank you for the warm wishes. I do have friends. I have a decent life as well. But this isn't about friends, and who is popular etc. Pointless is not a very good descriptor of my pointedly sharp posts. I am sorry they offend you. It is not my intention to offend you. Rather, it is every bit my intention to ensure that a vigorous debate ensues, and true and reasonable information is disseminated. That I am not popular, or that you think I am some-profane-word is small collateral damage. In person, I am quite charming.

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
GuyLaroche said:
What other posts? Listen, I am only trying to help.
I meant to say that I feel that you purposely pick others' posts apart word for word in some attempt to display your superiority or holiness.

But if you truly are only trying to help, then I applaud your well-intentioned efforts.

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
Ambs said:
... your superiority or *holiness*.
I have taken a lot of abuse on SDN, and I am fine with it - amused even. But please, please, please do not make accusations against me using religious descriptors. It's the worst sort of insult against me.

I am trying to help. It's what I have done since day 1. I think SDN-ers are taking my posts too seriously, and it is just strange to me why this is the case. I have spelled it out often enough: this is sarcasm.

derzornhistolog

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Status
"Thank you for the warm wishes. I do have friends. I have a decent life as well. But this isn't about friends, and who is popular etc. Pointless is not a very good descriptor of my pointedly sharp posts. I am sorry they offend you. It is not my intention to offend you. Rather, it is every bit my intention to ensure that a vigorous debate ensues, and true and reasonable information is disseminated. That I am not popular, or that you think I am some-profane-word is small collateral damage. In person, I am quite charming." - GuyLaroche

A note:
This is from the guy who lambasted me for using a lexicon that wasn't quite to his liking. This feigned altruism is, I think, indicative of a sheister premed on the run.

Dear SDN gods:
Please forgive me! I do most humbly repent for this ad hominem abomination, but I swear, he really deserved it!

And by the way - Carthage must be destroyed.

derzornhistolog

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Status
JDAD, you have joined flighterdoc as one of my SDN heroes. Kudos!

And once again, your friendly reminder that Carthage must be destroyed!

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
GuyLaroche said:
I have taken a lot of abuse on SDN, and I am fine with it - amused even. But please, please, please do not make accusations against me using religious descriptors. It's the worst sort of insult against me.

I am trying to help. It's what I have done since day 1. I think SDN-ers are taking my posts too seriously, and it is just strange to me why this is the case. I have spelled it out often enough: this is sarcasm.
:laugh: AGAIN, picking posts apart word for word.