Giving Up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

magicP

Reaction score
When would you throw in the towel for the 2021-2022 dental admissions cycle?

I’ve gotten 3 Pre-Dec interviews and havent heard back from any school since. cGPA and sGPA 3.5. DAT 22AA (lowest score is english 18) PAT 21. Over 1,000 dental assisting hours.

I know people say its early in the cycle, don’t give up hope, etc. I also understand that the next cycle is just around the corner and I don’t want to resubmit the same application especially since this one may not be good enough.

At what point in the cycle do you start making preparations for the following cycle? What have you done in the past to make your application stand out?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m having similar thoughts, I got pre-Dec interviews too and no response back till yet.
I am going to be waiting till late Feb to start prepping for the next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user

I’ve gotten 3 Pre-Dec interviews and havent heard back from any school since. cGPA and sGPA 3.5. DAT 22AA (lowest score is english 18) PAT 21. Over 1,000 dental assisting hours.

I know people say its early in the cycle, don’t give up hope, etc. I also understand that the next cycle is just around the corner and I don’t want to resubmit the same application especially since this one may not be good enough.

At what point in the cycle do you start making preparations for the following cycle? What have you done in the past to make your application stand out?
check the date when the schools have to tell each other who paid deposits
most schools give the students two weeks to get down to only one spot
last year, spots opened up on march 16
i agree with the previous poster that late february you should start strategizing for the upcoming cycle
for you, i would definitely NOT recommend a DAT retake...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I got in on January 16th, 2018 and February 6th, 2018. One of my buddies got in in August 2018 just before school started. It’s certainly not over — many schools have deferred admissions, in that they have a second round of acceptances.

I would call up the schools you interviewed at and ask about the status of your application/if they are doing any sort of second round of admissions. It’s not over until you get that last denial, don’t give up hope. That said, continue to work in the dental field and volunteer and such. The new app is not just around the corner, it’s in 5 months. You have time to build up your app if it comes to that. Good luck!

I don't know if this happens anymore, but 2 people got into my class the day before orientation started or after it had already started. There was an article this summer in the ADA news of a doctor who got in right when school started because someone didn't show up. Decades later, he sought out the person who didn't show up to find out what happened to him.

Edit - I can't find the article. The person who didn't show up to dental school at UCLA and had gotten into med school at USC instead and had become a physician. The doctor in the article was given that spot.

Last edited:
I don't know if this happens anymore, but 2 people got into my class the day before orientation started or after it had already started. There was an article this summer in the ADA news of a doctor who got in right when school started because someone didn't show up. Decades later, he sought out the person who didn't show up to find out what happened to him.

Edit - I can't find the article. The person who didn't show up to dental school at UCLA and had gotten into med school at USC instead and had become a physician. The doctor in the article was given that spot.

Reactions: 2 users
The traffic rules require those with offers to narrow down to 1 school as of March 1 so waitlists should move around then. It's not over until all your schools matriculate their classes.

Last cycle I got accepted to a school in July. I turned it down because I already had retaken my DAT and had an interview for my top choice (which I was accepted to this cycle). I would start calling the schools that waitlist you and ask what they recommend to improve your applicaiton.

Reactions: 2 users

You will eventually hear back from them. I am surprised on how you havent heard back yet if you were interviewed early on...

Like others have said it’s definitely not over, especially if you haven’t received an official rejection. Be sure to keep those schools updated with what you’ve been doing since your interviews with them.