Glasgow/Edinburgh/RVC/Dublin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalzi22

The OSU CVM c/o 2014!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know a lot of you won't know the answer to this since not a lot of people apply abroad, but I was wondering how many US students get interviews to these schools/how many students who get interviews actually get accepted. I am ridiculously into going to school abroad and would love love love to go to one of these schools, and have actually been invited to interview at Glasgow.

Any information would be awesome. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I can't speak for RVC or Edinburgh...but last year (It may have changed) Dublin did not do interviews, they simply accepted you based on your app. I am not sure on the exact number of Glasgow interviews conducted(I also came here to interview in January before normal interviews, so I never saw one of the interview days), but if it helps, in my class there are about 40-45 North American students, and in the class above me there are about 30, and in each class total there are about 120-130 students. Hope that gives you a rough idea!!!

I think edinburgh doesn't do interviews either

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'm not sure how reliable this is, (and I get the feeling everyone will know this) but according to my handy dandy AAVMC book, Dublin accepted 20% of its international applicants in 2008 (7 students of 35 applicants). Edinburgh accepted 13% (45 students), Glasgow accepted 15% (45 students) and RVC accepted 7% (22 students).

I suspect that these percentages may drop soon, though, due to more applicants.

Congrats on Glasgow! I really hope I can go abroad for vet school.

anyone know when we should start hearing from Dublin?

I read (I think it was from an old thread here) that this year Dublin will notify students In March. I guess last year notification was earlier and UCD wanted a quick acceptance confirmation and deposit. Anyway US students who hadn't heard from other schools expressed concern and I think the deposit date was extended. This year UCD is moving the notification date to a bit later.

Neither Dublin nor Edinburgh will be conducting interviews this year. Both Glasgow and RVC will hold most of their interviews in Feb. Glasgow has sent out most (if not all) of their interview invites. RVC will start sending out invites in December.

I heard last year RVC accepted ~10%, this year they will admit US students to both a 4 and 5 year program. The Scotland schools accepted slightly higher percentages. Last year was Dublin's first cycle as an AVMA accredited school, so it is unclear how their numbers will change this year. I think that it is reasonable to expect that each school will be selecting around ~10 % again this year.

Fortunately those odds are roughly 5 times better than most OOS applicants hoping to attend schools in the US.

Awesome! Thanks guys! I'm so excited to be in the middle of this process. It's terrifying but so exciting that I may (hopefully) be on the very edge of a life-altering experience. I'm so happy to actually be at this point in my life. :D

I heard last year RVC accepted ~10%, this year they will admit US students to both a 4 and 5 year program. The Scotland schools accepted slightly higher percentages. Last year was Dublin's first cycle as an AVMA accredited school, so it is unclear how their numbers will change this year. I think that it is reasonable to expect that each school will be selecting around ~10 % again this year.

Fortunately those odds are roughly 5 times better than most OOS applicants hoping to attend schools in the US.

Out of curiosity, where did you find these numbers? Did you use the number 'accepted' or the number 'matriculated'? I'm only asking because according to the 08-09 VMSAR's, for Edinburgh, out of 130 students, 39 international students (these are predominately N. American) were admitted. I would think quite a few more were accepted since most US students will go to a US school if accepted to both. This year there was something like 67 in the GEP class. Edinburgh actually re-opened their application period back up in the spring, which is the only reason i got to apply.

I deferred a year and will matriculate next August. Anyone interested in applying abroad, i highly recommend UofE...the admissions staff could not be any more accommodating, helpful, efficient and just plain nice. Plus, the new vet school will be finished next year and it looks incredibly AWESOME :love:. It is going to be unbelievable. Edinburgh is a gorgeous city and i have only heard great things about it. The SDNers from last year who are over there love it and i cannot wait to go!

So, c'mon and apply....i want to have some company to go with me next year :D

Good Luck to everyone!!

Hey flyhi that is awesome!!

I made a few assumptions from an e-mail I got from Geraldine Giannopoulos at Edinburgh that both Glasgow and the Royal Dick School received slightly fewer number of applications than RVC but accepted more students. I didn't have the exact numbers which is why I just said they admitted a slightly larger percentage.

Glad to hear there will be more seats in Edinburgh and a higher chance of acceptance this year. It is certainly near the top of the list of programs I applied to.

Just got my package in the mail with all my interview information from Glasgow, anyone else get theirs? Happy Early Thanksgiving!!!

Just got my package in the mail with all my interview information from Glasgow, anyone else get theirs? Happy Early Thanksgiving!!!

Hahaha I watched that DVD over and over again...the accents made me so happy!!!

I didn't..one can only hope they sent it to the right address. :confused: And Happy Thanksgiving to you!

boo...nothing for me yet :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I got one a few days ago, a giant brown envelope. Of course they send you information on paying before you even know you're admitted, lol!! :laugh: Happy thanksgiving, it's going to cost you 100,000 pounds if we like you! YAYYYY!

This is off topic but I was wondering if any SDN vet students in UK came to the Veterinary Olympics hosted by RVC couple weeks ago?? For ppl who don't know about it, it's basically a weekend of sports activities during the day and clubbing at night. Vet students all around the U.K. join it and get to know each other.

I attended on Friday and Saturday nights and I have to share my observations!

Well, I think either Glasgow and Edinburg students who attended were a majority (compared to all the other vet schools in UK) or they just know how to party hard:)

I met a lot of ppl from different vet schools (but I don't think they would remember me due to the alcohol consumption:)) and I must say that there def. is a huge competition going on among the schools! And that is very well reflected by the Glasgow song (and I must add I loooove the song!)

Any glasgow vet students out there who can write up the song for fun ? :)

This is off topic but I was wondering if any SDN vet students in UK came to the Veterinary Olympics hosted by RVC couple weeks ago?? For ppl who don't know about it, it's basically a weekend of sports activities during the day and clubbing at night. Vet students all around the U.K. join it and get to know each other.

I attended on Friday and Saturday nights and I have to share my observations!

Well, I think either Glasgow and Edinburg students who attended were a majority (compared to all the other vet schools in UK) or they just know how to party hard:)

I met a lot of ppl from different vet schools (but I don't think they would remember me due to the alcohol consumption:)) and I must say that there def. is a huge competition going on among the schools! And that is very well reflected by the Glasgow song (and I must add I loooove the song!)

Any glasgow vet students out there who can write up the song for fun ? :)

Ohhh AVS weekend??? I didn't go because we had an anatomy exam the next day..but I heard it was amazing!!! There is a huge competition, but it's all in good fun!!..though I must say the rivalry between Glasgow and Edinburgh is pretty epic ;) And yes...work hard play hard is our motto..heheh

As for that song...I think I know of which you speak, but I am not sure on allll the lyrics yet...but does it have to do with if you go to Liverpool it's on TV, Edinburgh you'll have STDs, and RVC is too far, Notty they'll steal your car, Dublin they're always on the piss, and at Cambridge they *talk like this* .. etc etc??? I might be getting the schools messed up too...hmmm let me get back to you...

We don't do that one as often as the one we direct solely at Edinburgh...ie I was introduced to it at Dick Day (another sports day between Glasgow and Edinburgh) and we sang it about a million times...that one I could tell you the lyrics too...but I think I might have to edit for fear of being kicked off of SDN for foul language:D

Hmm. Interesting about the rivalries!! Sounds like it's all in good fun! I did get my envelope and I read everything, but now need to look at the disc. I have some friends in Glasgow... the accents are far more exaggerated than in Edinburgh. I didn't get to visit Glasgow when I was in Scotland, but I have heard good things, even if it is supposedly a bit less posh:rolleyes: than the capital... I'm okay with that!
;)

Hmm..I still haven't received my packet in the mail. Do you think it would be appropriate to contact Joyce about it?

I haven't gotten one either :( So sad.

Well, I got mine two days before Thanksgiving--which is clearly a holiday that will affect the postal service. There is a good chance it may take a few days longer to certain destinations in the States, so I really wouldn't panic yet. I would think that if it doesn't arrive next week, then it's time to maybe email about more information for the interview.

I wouldn't worry too much...they might have sent them out in waves too...you'll get yours soon :) I remember getting mine a bit later than everyone else too!! Hope you all had a great Holiday!! The Americans in Glasgow are going to have another 30+ person celebration tonight...yessss...more turkeyyyy:D

Does anyone know if the European schools only accept Stafford loans and not Perkins/Plusloans? Also, do you only qualify for the undergrad loan limits ($7,500) or do you get graduate loan limits ($20,500)?

Does anyone know if the European schools only accept Stafford loans and not Perkins/Plusloans? Also, do you only qualify for the undergrad loan limits ($7,500) or do you get graduate loan limits ($20,500)?

Hey there! I'm at Glasgow, and I take out the Stafford for grads loan ($20,500 max) and a GradPLUS loan for the remainder. Never heard of Perkins loan before... maybe it's the same as GradPlus?? Hope that helps!

That helps a lot!!! I just got their information about my interview this weekend and they only mentioned Stafford loans...

Holy crap, that DVD makes me want to go there so badly.

I feel super bummed out that I did not get a DVD with my package, what is on the DVD haha I want to hear my Scottish accents!!! Someone burn me a copy and mail it to me right now!!!:eek::D

I feel super bummed out that I did not get a DVD with my package, what is on the DVD haha I want to hear my Scottish accents!!! Someone burn me a copy and mail it to me right now!!!:eek::D

I know :-( If I don't get it by Wednesday of next week..I'm probably going to e-mail Joyce, I'm paranoid they don't have the right address or something lame

PJlovin..I was wondering where you disappeared to!! Glad you're back on SDN...to think a year has passed since you first answered my questions...

Also...for all of you who do not believe Glasgow is the coolest vet school ever..I give you this video..my 65+ yr old Anatomy professor, the legend, Dr. Boyd(yes the one who wrote the anatomy books) standing on his head and drinking a pint during dissection...Loveeee my school!!!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtnDNbTcLLk

PJlovin..I was wondering where you disappeared to!! Glad you're back on SDN...to think a year has passed since you first answered my questions...

Also...for all of you who do not believe Glasgow is the coolest vet school ever..I give you this video..my 65+ yr old Anatomy professor, the legend, Dr. Boyd(yes the one who wrote the anatomy books) standing on his head and drinking a pint during dissection...Loveeee my school!!!:D

HOLY BEJESUS....now I really REALLY want to go

That is AWESOME!! Sheesh, glasgow is seriously starting to charm me.

Looks like we have some new recruits for Glasgow...

Edinburgh.........Edinburgh........Edinburgh....Gooooooo...Edinburgh :D

RVC e-mails are coming in.

So, serious consideration...
I now have Glasgow and RVC (WOOOOOO :soexcited:)...if I did go abroad, which I think I do really want to do, how difficult is it to bring dogs? What is the procedure, and is there a quarantine everytime you come back to the states with them? Do you bring them back when you come home for summer vaycay, or is there no summer vaycay? I just want to bring my Sophie to school with me...

I now have Glasgow and RVC (WOOOOOO :soexcited:)...if I did go abroad, which I think I do really want to do, how difficult is it to bring dogs? What is the procedure, and is there a quarantine everytime you come back to the states with them? Do you bring them back when you come home for summer vaycay, or is there no summer vaycay? I just want to bring my Sophie to school with me...

From what I understand..you get a puppy passport before you leave to prove they have their shots etc..and no quarantine is required. However, most of my friends who brought pets realized the animal's airfare one way was more than their own round trip..so what a lot of people do is try and find people to pet sit when they go away..or just stay the summer...

I can speak to this process, as i am currently going through it. It was a huge consideration for me and i ended up deferring a year in order to get my dogs ready to go (i got accepted late spring due to UofE opening up a late application cycle)

The most important thing to remember is that it will take you 8 months minimum to prepare. There is a procedure to follow which can be found here:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/index.htm

and it must be followed to a T. The good new is that if you complete the PETS scheme, there is no quarantine. :D You can choose to not go through all of this, but then there is a 3 month (i believe) quarantine.

The PETS scheme is this: basically, the animal must be microchipped and THEN vaccinated for rabies. After a 21 day wait period, a blood sample is taken and sent to Kansas for a titer. Assuming the titer comes back acceptable, you are now 6 months out from being able to enter the country. The 6 months i believe officially starts from the day the blood is drawn, but you should allow it from the day the test was performed (from what i'm told).

The website goes into detail, but basically the paperwork has to be precise. You must get a Certificate within the 10 days prior to departure and flea/tick treatment within 24-48 hours prior to departure.

I am not flying my little guys over....couldn't bear the thought of them being in a crate for about 12-13 hours (must arrive 2 hrs prior to flight and then go through customs) or so, and in the cargo bin. They are only 5 pounds each, so i worried about this aspect a lot. i was an airline pilot and know baggage handlers and how inconsistent our temp control was in there :eek:. Not to freak you out cause i flew a really small airplane and not one that was Transatlantic. There are specific airlines and routes you must take in order to comply with the PETS scheme.

I had actually ruled out UK schools until i saw that they had one route by sea on the Queen Mary 2. Just so happens I had already cruised on this ship and felt very comfortable with taking this route. I reserved a 7 day transatlantic cruise and 2 kennels for my boys. They have a kennel master on hand and you can see your pet(s) whenever you please. They have an indoor and outdoor play/visiting area. They contacted me months ago for my dog's information and sent me a very informative overview of the PETS scheme. I tried to attach it here, but if it doesn't come through, PM me and i'll email it to you. It dummies down the information on the website.

The cruise was not inexpensive, but by the time i figured flying me, both dogs and transporting all of my stuff, i swear i think i came out on top. Going by cruise ship, i can essentially take whatever i want (including my bikes) and not pay extra for luggage. Plus, i get to take another person with me (since all cruises are based on 2 people). If i split the fare (i paid it all), i would have definitely made out.

I will essentially have to 'live' in Scotland for 4 years with short trips home if i find someone to watch the pooches. I am hoping this will not be an issue at vet school :laugh:

All in all, it is such a pain in the arse, but SO worth it in the long run. Oh, and once you get there, you can get a 'pet passport' and you can travel to/fro to certain countries. Pretty certain you can go back and forth to the US, but you MUST keep your rabies up to date and duly recorded. i am still learning about this part.

Oh, and if your pet is not microchipped yet, get a ISO one. Mine had ones that are not readable by an international chip reader and i now have to rent one so they can read the chip for customs. Another good thing about taking the QM2 is that you clear customs essentially before you leave NY. There may be a formality clearing on the other end, but they make absolutely certain you will clear on the other end. This is a huge weight off the shoulders...otherwise you are sweating the flight over and don't really know if all your I's are dotted and T's are crossed.

Sorry for the super long post, but hopefully this helps you and any others considering transporting their buds over to the UK.

PM me if you need any additional info.

Attachments

• Pet Travel Scheme 10-07.pdf
    205.9 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
@flyhi
holy WOAH. WOW. you are basically my new dog transport bible. I have a cavalier and I want to bring her so so bad if I go over (and the UK is where I want to be if I can), so...yea. I'll PM you when (since I KNOW I will have thousands) I have questions. Thanks so much!

From what I understand..you get a puppy passport before you leave to prove they have their shots etc..and no quarantine is required. However, most of my friends who brought pets realized the animal's airfare one way was more than their own round trip..so what a lot of people do is try and find people to pet sit when they go away..or just stay the summer...

Is it harder and/or more expensive to find housing (as I assume you live off campus). Also, do most people live off campus abroad or on? I'm slowly realizing I know NOTHING about actually living in vet school...

@flyhi
I really love the cruise idea. I never even thought of that. Definitely might be going that route with our 2 cats if I end up in the UK. By the way, do you know how much it is to bring 2 cats on the cruise? Thanks!

@flyhi
holy WOAH. WOW. you are basically my new dog transport bible. I have a cavalier and I want to bring her so so bad if I go over (and the UK is where I want to be if I can), so...yea. I'll PM you when (since I KNOW I will have thousands) I have questions. Thanks so much!

i love cavaliers... Anytime, i am more than willing and have a bunch of free time right now ;). Best of luck in the application process :luck::luck:

@Shortnsweet

btw, I was just stalking old Glasgow posts (because I decided stalking is more important than studying for finals) and I saw you were in Kappa Alpha Theta??? Oh my god, another sorority girl! Im a Phi Sig and I swear, every greek person I see in pre-heath is in a pre-heath frat, or an honors sorority or something like that. I feel like there are no social sorority girls. Did your Glasgow interviewers ask about that?

Also you were Recruitment Chair? OUCH! Tons of work! I was Sisterhood Development Chair (pledgemom haha)!

@flyhi
I really love the cruise idea. I never even thought of that. Definitely might be going that route with our 2 cats if I end up in the UK. By the way, do you know how much it is to bring 2 cats on the cruise? Thanks!

It definitely put my mind at ease. You have to get 1 kennel per animal, but mine have a removable gate in between. Each kennel was $300. The airlines were around 6-700 per animal, if i recall correctly.

The thing with the cruise is to book early. There are only 12 kennels on specific cruises. The QM2 does quite a few Transatlantic crossings, but i booked just under a year in advance and got the last two kennels! Now, that is not to be said that some won't make their required deposit by February and some spots will open up.

The good news is, that even though i had to pay a deposit at booking, it's 100% refundable up until February 2010. I leave July 6th, 2010, so that is not bad at all. The cruise is 7 days and there was one later one i could have taken to arrive for the start of class on Aug 9th.

i got the smallest size kennels for my dogs - 6 upper cages are 27”H x 30” L x 35 ½“ D. The 6 cages can be converted into 2 larger cages at 60” long. So, they are huge. There is a weight restriction for the upper kennels - something like 25 or 35lbs each...i can't remember.

Hope this helps. If you need any additional info, let me know.

Best of luck this cycle :xf::luck::xf:

@Shortnsweet

btw, I was just stalking old Glasgow posts (because I decided stalking is more important than studying for finals) and I saw you were in Kappa Alpha Theta??? Oh my god, another sorority girl! Im a Phi Sig and I swear, every greek person I see in pre-heath is in a pre-heath frat, or an honors sorority or something like that. I feel like there are no social sorority girls. Did your Glasgow interviewers ask about that?

Also you were Recruitment Chair? OUCH! Tons of work! I was Sisterhood Development Chair (pledgemom haha)!

Dayum girl..that was a lonngggg post ago...haha but yes! I am a Theta through and through! I went to a tiny liberal arts school, so pre health frats etc were non-existent. I loved every minute of it, and to be honest, I was able to use all of my leadership experience from it in my applications. Glasgow didn't ask me about it, but keep in mind, they don't have greek life anywhere else but the states and Canada....so they probably just skimmed it. And yup! I was recruitment chair for 2 years...loveddddd it!!!

Also, to answer you other question..I do live off campus, but the school has residences as well. If you get in, I recommend steering clear of Wolfson Hall..it is close to the school, but full of little 17 and 18 yr olds just getting to college, and i've heard not nice things about the food. If you are bringing your dog, I would recommend next term maybe e-mailing Joyce and seeing if there are any upper years looking for flatmates. I currently live with 4 second years and absolutely love it..plus more than likely...they'll be just as animal crazy as you and having your dog won't be a problem. If you would prefer finding your own flat, there are a bunch of real estate agents etc online..and I believe Glasgow send you information late spring into summer :)

Hope that helps!!

So one more fun reason to go to vet school in Europe? You can go on a cruise, too!

So I just watched the welcome DVD from Glasgow..have to say, got a little teary eyed. :biglove:

:wtf: I still haven't gotten the packet! I guess I have to email them...

I didn't get a CD with mine, I'm thinking about e-mailing and requesting one.:smuggrin:

Just to let you know, mine was mailed on November 19th and I just got it today! So it should be coming any day! And request the CD..it's really informative.

Keep in mind the post from here take about 10+ days for a packet like that...plus the royal post has been awfully screwy lately! Don't fret! And you can always e-mail Joyce about your lack of DVD!! ...though next week begins the UK interviews...so she and the admission office might be really busy :)

flyhi -

i'm actually counting on folks choosing not pay their confirmation fee and take the QM2 . . . i'm bringing two of my cats back to RVC next year for 2nd year, and i'm #2/3 on the waiting list for the September crossing. otherwise, it's air travel, or my g/f brings them over in November.

:)