Glasgow vs Bristol

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Priya Ranjan

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've been accepted into Glasgow (5 year program) and Bristol (4 year program). I am trying to decide between the two and I think there's pros and cons to both. Initially, I was leaning towards Bristol because its a 4 year program (accelerated program as I already have bachelor's degree), but Glasgow looks like the better school. I've heard really good things about Glasgow, but what sets me off is the fact that its 5 years, which I know, one year isn't a huge difference, but I'm 23 years old and will be 24 by the time I start in September, and I've been in school for a long time. I don't know too much about Bristol - to be honest it doesn't even look like many people from North America applied to this school or even know about it. So far I've looked at tuition costs, and while its cheaper at Glasgow per year, Bristol is slightly less expensive since its 4 years. I'd really appreciate anyone's insight on either school. I have quite a bit of time until I need to make a decision, but I know I'm going to have a hard time. Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks in advance and congrats to all who have received offers!

Members don't see this ad.

Here are some additional factors you may like to consider.

Bristol have only recently received AVMA accreditation, whereas Glasgow have been accredited longer. They are similarly ranked universities in the UK for vet med, but there may be more teething problems on Bristol's course. Similarly, Glasgow is better known in the US.

They are quite different cities in different countries. Glasgow has a lower cost of living so if you have not considered that when weighing the costs, you should do so. I would be surprised if the CoL in Glasgow was so much cheaper that it could justify a full year of extra vet school tuition, however. There may be additional hidden costs (an extra year of NHS surcharge, different transport/flight costs) to consider.

They are both popular cities, although quite different. Scotland and England have their differences, too! Bristol is warmer. I would recommend researching the cities to determine if location is a major factor for you.

Unless the CoLs makes the price difference neglible, Bristol seems like the more sensible option purely due to cost and length.

Reactions: 1 user