Glass eye

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted780100

I lost my eye in an accident and applying to dental school. I always wanted to be a dentist. And wanted to ask already practicing dentist if it’s possible to get through dental school and be a successful dentist. Give it to me straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

I lost my eye in an accident and applying to dental school. I always wanted to be a dentist. And wanted to ask already practicing dentist if it’s possible to get through dental school and be a successful dentist. Give it to me straight.

I am so sorry to break this to you that dental school has a requirement that students must come in with no disability.

I know a dentist that lost vision in one eye after many years of practice in an accident. He tried to continue practicing but could not because he was unable to do quality work with only one good eye. I saw some of his old crown preps and this guy was an excellent dentist prior to his accident.

I think being a dentist is a job that pretty much requires two good eyes. You are going to have a tough time getting in to dental school and getting through it with that disability.

If I were you I would look into another career in the medical field that does not involve surgical procedures on a daily basis.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dentistry requires a lot of depth perception... and with one eye I've heard it is much more difficult to gauge perception, possibly making preparations, endo, etc. more difficult and dangerous for the patient. Certain specialities within dentistry do not require these abilities such as radiology, pathology (maybe), maybe others... and academia.

I would agree with looking into medicine or another profession if you are open to that.

I am so sorry to break this to you that dental school has a requirement that students must come in with no disability.

I know a dentist that lost vision in one eye after many years of practice in an accident. He tried to continue practicing but could not because he was unable to do quality work with only one good eye. I saw some of his old crown preps and this guy was an excellent dentist prior to his accident.

I think being a dentist is a job that pretty much requires two good eyes. You are going to have a tough time getting in to dental school and getting through it with that disability.

If I were you I would look into another career in the medical field that does not involve surgical procedures on a daily basis.

Dentistry requires a lot of depth perception... and with one eye I've heard it is much more difficult to gauge perception, possibly making preparations, endo, etc. more difficult and dangerous for the patient. Certain specialities within dentistry do not require these abilities such as radiology, pathology (maybe), maybe others... and academia.

I would agree with looking into medicine or another profession if you are open to that.

Have a student at my school that seems to be deaf. Has an interpreter too.

Its very sad that the other dentist that lost his eye and couldn't do work anymore. OP is starting out that way though. Who knows what he can be capable of, training under such conditions.

Not trying to be hopeful for the sake of being hopeful. Just one thing to start out that way and its another to adjust after decades of dentistry wiring.

That is not true. You are forgetting about Americans with disabilities act.
All student must fulfill some health requirements. No one ever asked me if I have both eyes
He should ask dental schools

I know a dentist with a glass eye who is clinically excellent. He had the glass eye even before getting into dental school. Just do well on your PAT portion of your DAT....That will show that you can handle the perceptual portion of dentistry.

I know a dentist with a glass eye who is clinically excellent. He had the glass eye even before getting into dental school. Just do well on your PAT portion of your DAT....That will show that you can handle the perceptual portion of dentistry.
You should text that dentist the link to this thread. It might help the OP out to talk to someone like that. I didn’t know it was possible. The dentist I knew had practiced 30 years before the eye problem so I guess it is a lot harder to adapt that far into your career than it would be if you learn the skills with the eye problem.

It would be amazing to talk to this dentist so I can settle it for myself

may be this is a n=1, but my school makes me get an eye exam to make sure I don't go blind in 4 years, and also with physical exams. It also makes me sign a paper saying any disability before school will disqualify me not because they discriminate against disability (American Disability Act thing) but because the job requires standards that a person with disability cannot meet.

May be being deaf or partially deaf can have a work around way but having one eye and losing vision field, vision depth is another story.

and I was told this field is very physically demanding that it cannot accept some type of disabilities. may be it happens during school it is another story but before school, thats a tough spot

Hey I’m sorry, I totally forgot my aunt (moms 2nd cousin) also has a glass eye, since she was 2, she’s been a GP for 30+ years, shes retired now, worked for a prison all her career, got a freakin 100k pension the rest of her life, she living well....I’ll PM you

Last edited:
Nevertheless, man, why not email a few ADCOMS about your situation, they would have the most experience in training dentists with disabilities....

I know that my alma mater admitted a student who had lost an eye due to some disease and he is now a D4. It's not impossible.

Last edited:
If there is a will, there is a way.

Head up, OP.

may be this is a n=1, but my school makes me get an eye exam to make sure I don't go blind in 4 years, and also with physical exams. It also makes me sign a paper saying any disability before school will disqualify me not because they discriminate against disability (American Disability Act thing) but because the job requires standards that a person with disability cannot meet.

May be being deaf or partially deaf can have a work around way but having one eye and losing vision field, vision depth is another story.

and I was told this field is very physically demanding that it cannot accept some type of disabilities. may be it happens during school it is another story but before school, thats a tough spot
Mind sharing the name of your school?