Eye Floaters: Do They Make Dentistry Difficult?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Tooth Guy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy all,

I will be attending OSU's dental school next fall, but have recently been noticing some wicked eye floaters in my dominant eye. I have astigmatism in both eyes; however, my dominant eye has both worse vision overall and the aforementioned floaters. I find staring at white powerpoint slides to be relatively difficult over long periods of time, and I was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing a similar issue. If you have, has it made practicing your hand skills difficult at all? I can only imagine that my vision will get worse with age (I'm 21 for reference), so it is just something I am concerned about.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Howdy all,

I will be attending OSU's dental school next fall, but have recently been noticing some wicked eye floaters in my dominant eye. I have astigmatism in both eyes; however, my dominant eye has both worse vision overall and the aforementioned floaters. I find staring at white powerpoint slides to be relatively difficult over long periods of time, and I was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing a similar issue. If you have, has it made practicing your hand skills difficult at all? I can only imagine that my vision will get worse with age (I'm 21 for reference), so it is just something I am concerned about.

Thanks!
Isn't increase in eye floaters one of the symptoms of retinal detachment?

I’d be surprised if anyone didn’t have issues staring at white PowerPoint slides for hours. Fortunately, older professors seem to prefer the PowerPoint template with an intense blue background and yellow font.
Seriously though, hasn’t been too much of an issue. I have never noticed my “floaters” during a procedure. When I do notice them at other times, like staring at blank whiteness, a quick up-down motion or two and they float out of my vision. Unless you notice it blocking your vision during everyday activities, I wouldn’t worry.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't increase in eye floaters one of the symptoms of retinal detachment?
It is a sign of that. I had my optometrist check my eyes for that during my last appointment and she said there was not any indication of detachment. So that's a good thing I suppose!

I’d be surprised if anyone didn’t have issues staring at white PowerPoint slides for hours. Fortunately, older professors seem to prefer the PowerPoint template with an intense blue background and yellow font.
Seriously though, hasn’t been too much of an issue. I have never noticed my “floaters” during a procedure. When I do notice them at other times, like staring at blank whiteness, a quick up-down motion or two and they float out of my vision. Unless you notice it blocking your vision during everyday activities, I wouldn’t worry.
Thank you!

I have them. I just tend to focus elsewhere and they go out of focus. Doesn't affect how I do my dentistry lol. And I try to take small breathers to relax my eyes, my back, my neck, etc. if I notice fatique. You can take a break while waiting for anesthesia, you can take a break when you're in line waiting for prep check, etc.

I have them and so do quite a few of my d1 classmates. I turn the brightness of all my screens down and add night shift and that helps. As far as lab work, I really don't notice them. Every once in awhile i'll see one float across a bright white tooth in the typodont, but that is rare and brief. I was worried too, but it hasn't been an issue.

Reactions: 1 users
A good ophthalmologist is a dentist’s best friend. Make sure you have your eyes checked periodically. Can’t fix what you can’t see.

Reactions: 1 user
So glad to know I'm not alone. None of my friends and family have them so I was beginning to think it was relatively rare. Glad to know that it shouldn't impact my learning and work.

Reactions: 2 users