Glassdoor Statistics for Physicians Assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
it would make it easier to hire us and make us competitive with NPs in this regard, but wouldn't change what we do on a day to day basis very much , except in settings that are currently very restrictive(require doc to see every pt, etc)..
At 2 of my 3 jobs there would be no functional change at all. I already have 0% chart review. my collaborating md of record is a name on a piece of paper somewhere. we never work together and only rarely even see each other at shift change, etc. He treats me exactly like the docs who work the days I am not here.

I'm not saying it would functionally change your position. It would, however, change your profession to finally have what has been already going on for decades acknowledged.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, they will still be PAs. It doesn't change their role, it recognizes the reality of what we are already doing. As I type, this I am sitting in the ER of a rural hospital that has no physician on site. I see every walk in and ambulance patient, do every procedure, deal with every middle of the night disaster among admitted pts, etc. none of the docs who work here would ever call me an assistant.

But that's you, an individual with over 20 years experience. That kind of relationship with physicians was earned, it wasn't given to you. Thats not a typical feature of the profession, and it's not likely to be one for young doctorate PAs hitting the workforce. Why would someone want to get a PhD or doctorate just to hit the workforce and have to still jump through hoops to gain professional respect. And additionally, you've said yourself that a lot of the reason you work where you do is because of the solo nature of the locale. You get more respect because they pretty much have to respect you or you walk and they don't have provider coverage.