Glasses for an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciestar

All grown up!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wear glasses full-time. Im most comfortable in them, but i have a small face, so they are kid frames. These particular frames are vera bradley, so they have a vera design on the arms. Im just worried this might come across as childish? Should i wear my contacts (which i rarely do)?

Probably a neurotic thread, but i need an answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Strike a balance between what you're most comfortable in and what you'll look best in. If you think contacts are better, I'd at least spend a few days beforehand just kind of getting used to them, if you don't usually wear them. This way you're not feeling out of sorts when the day comes.

What? That's totally not a neurotic thing to say :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your comfort is key. If you've never worn contacts before, you could end up irritating your eyes. Red eyes will look worse than "kiddy" frames, in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
But anyway you probably look fine in your frames. Jesus.

"Clearly this young person is quite capable of attending this school but.....those frames just aren't doing it for me. I suppose I'll have to reluctantly reject this one. :thinking:"

Reactions: 8 users
I wear glasses on a regular basis too. Does anyone feel like glasses make the conversation less personal? I always take off my glasses when I talk to people because it just feels more natural.

Reactions: 1 users
I wear glasses full-time. Im most comfortable in them, but i have a small face, so they are kid frames. These particular frames are vera bradley, so they have a vera design on the arms. Im just worried this might come across as childish? Should i wear my contacts (which i rarely do)?

Glasses can be used to convey maturity. . . Only a glasses enthusiast would be bothered by the difference between regular glasses and kid glasses, lol.

I personally found that wearing glasses made me look more approachable since I normally have an intimidating face. : D

I wear glasses on a regular basis too. Does anyone feel like glasses make the conversation less personal? I always take off my glasses when I talk to people because it just feels more natural.

Don't wear glasses so can't relate, but that's actually pretty interesting.

Are they reading glasses? Or you only do this specifically when you're talking to people? Does it ever get exhausting having to do that every time? Or is this just for like really personal types of conversations?

I wear glasses too but they're probably fine. Lots of docs wear glasses.

Don't wear glasses so can't relate, but that's actually pretty interesting.

Are they reading glasses? Or you only do this specifically when you're talking to people? Does it ever get exhausting having to do that every time? Or is this just for like really personal types of conversations?
I only need them for distance, like seeing street signs while driving or reading what's on the board at school. Thus, they are absolutely unnecessary for close up conversation. Idk, maybe it's just me, but I like people to see my eyes while I'm talking to them. Still thinking about how this will play out in interviews, haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I only need them for distance, like seeing street signs while driving or reading what's on the board at school. Thus, they are absolutely unnecessary for close up conversation. Idk, maybe it's just me, but I like people to see my eyes while I'm talking to them. Still thinking about how this will play out in interviews, haha

Me too. It's like basically the only thing I've got going for me. Mine are the same color as spongebob's here.

Me too. It's like basically the only thing I've got going for me. Mine are the same color as spongebob's here.
my glasses are also really shiny so I feel like they obscure my eyes. I should probably get anti-glare ones, but I don't feel like buying a whole new pair just for that

my glasses are also really shiny so I feel like they obscure my eyes. I should probably get anti-glare ones, but I don't feel like buying a whole new pair just for that

I think you should just assume that's a nuance only people with glasses care about. Have never had this issue with anyone.

I think you should just assume that's a nuance only people with glasses care about. Have never had this issue with anyone.
you've never seen this?
anti-reflective-lenses.jpg

you've never seen this?
anti-reflective-lenses.jpg

I'm just saying I literally don't pay attention to that kind of stuff. I think you're being overly self-critical.

In that particular picture, I wouldn't care or even notice.

I'm just saying I literally don't pay attention to that kind of stuff. I think you're being overly self-critical.
well i'm glad it's not too noticeable ;)

But basically my question was...if your glasses are say, "too flashy" is that a bad thing? Like some kids frames are neon colors..would an adcom take light of something like that?

But basically my question was...if your glasses are say, "too flashy" is that a bad thing? Like some kids frames are neon colors..would an adcom take light of something like that?
I think an adcom member would have to be pretty judgmental to criticize your glasses. Glasses aren't like clothing--you buy one pair for years, and you don't match your glasses to your outfit. Honestly I have seen pretty professional-looking people with plastic hearts on the arms of the glasses.

To put it in terms of numbers, you have maybe a 90% chance of being uncomfortable with contacts, and a 1% chance that an adcom would judge you harshly for your kid glasses.

For what it's worth: when you are sitting down (for an interview), glasses do occupy a third of your face (well, mine do :p).

I'd choose a professional-looking frame, that is in black/brown or tortoise.
For anyone who has a strong prescription I'd recommend getting a plastic frame as it hides the edges better, and preferably a high index lens, which already comes with AR coating. Btw, chain stores are more expensive than your local friendly optometrist.

Last edited:

Just wear a low cut blouse and red heels to distract people from your distracting glasses...

Reactions: 2 users
pro·fes·sion·al
prəˈfeSH(ə)n(ə)l/
adjective
  1. 1.
    of, relating to, or connected with a profession.
    "young professional people"
    synonyms: white-collar, nonmanual
    "people in professional occupations"
  2. 2.
    (of a person) engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.
    synonyms: paid, salaried
    • noun
  1. 1.
    a person engaged or qualified in a profession.
    "professionals such as lawyers and surveyors"

synonyms: white-collar worker, office worker
    "affluent young professionals"

That's what we want you to look like.

Go into character.

I think an adcom member would have to be pretty judgmental to criticize your glasses. Glasses aren't like clothing--you buy one pair for years, and you don't match your glasses to your outfit. Honestly I have seen pretty professional-looking people with plastic hearts on the arms of the glasses.
Glasses are fine.
Unusual, flashy or overly personalized frames (e.g. plastic hearts!) will not be well-received. And though we would not be so rude as to criticize your glasses, we are expected to judge you. That's what we are doing on interview day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
pro·fes·sion·al
prəˈfeSH(ə)n(ə)l/
adjective
  1. 1.
    a person engaged or qualified in a profession.
    "professionals such as lawyers and surveyors"

synonyms: white-collar worker, office worker
    "affluent young professionals"
That's what we want you to look like.

Go into character.

To be fair though to most applicants not wearing a suit jacket or not being able to knot a tie that well seem like very silly distinctions to determine who should be accepted, but someone who does both of those things for an interview would be at a massive disadvantage or just be auto-rejected. I understand why one might worry about less-than-classy spectacles!

To be fair though to most applicants not wearing a suit jacket or not being able to knot a tie that well seem like very silly distinctions to determine who should be accepted, but someone who does both of those things for an interview would be at a massive disadvantage or just be auto-rejected. I understand why one might worry about less-than-classy spectacles!
This may not be an auto-reject, but it is the equivalent of taking about 4 points off your MCAT (enough to put most folks in waitlist territory).

Reactions: 2 users
This may not be an auto-reject, but it is the equivalent of taking about 4 points off your MCAT (enough to put most folks in waitlist territory).

What's the worst wardrobe you've seen in all your years show up to an interview? Even if you don't want to give specifics, let's hear a little something at least!

Ah okay, still pretty severe though for something that doesn't affect your competence as a physician. I know how the public perceives physicians is important for trust etc., but a suit jacket wouldn't seem intuitive to a lot of applicants if they weren't explicitly told that that's expected.

What's the worst wardrobe you've seen in all your years show up to an interview? Even if you don't want to give specifics, let's hear a little something at least!
The silver-white figure skating suit (with sequins) ties with the 3 foot wide sombrero (complete with serape).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
Ah okay, still pretty severe though for something that doesn't affect your competence as a physician. I know how the public perceives physicians is important for trust etc., but a suit jacket wouldn't seem intuitive to a lot of applicants if they weren't explicitly told that that's expected.
We are also evaluating judgement.

We are also evaluating judgement.

That's what I mean though, judgement of our adherence to a standard that you guys are extremely familiar with but we might not be. Now that I know a suit jacket and proficient tie knotting are expected, it would be a show of poor judgement to not take this seriously and do my own thing. \
If someone doesn't do these things it's either poor judgement or just ignorance, because I don't see why anyone would have the innate knowledge of what is and is not appropriate to wear in a med school interview. Thus questions about glasses!

That's what I mean though, judgement of our adherence to a standard that you guys are extremely familiar with but we might not be. Now that I know a suit jacket and proficient tie knotting are expected, it would be a show of poor judgement to not take this seriously and do my own thing. \
If someone doesn't do these things it's either poor judgement or just ignorance, because I don't see why anyone would have the innate knowledge of what is and is not appropriate to wear in a med school interview. Thus questions about glasses!
We expect that a candidate for the degree routinely acquire information where they lack it (especially in a high stakes situation).

Reactions: 3 users
Many doctors wear glasses. That's totally fine. If however your glasses look childish and don't help present you as the future professional you want to be seen as, consider getting a better pair. You want to look the part.

tumblr_m92nbaibyw1ruair7.jpg

If the goal is to intimidate your adcom...

Reactions: 8 users

Sorry, I autoreject any applicant who shows signs that he is ineligible to be a fighter pilot.

The silver-white figure skating suit (with sequins) ties with the 3 foot wide sombrero (complete with serape).

I mean, I could seen an adcom not liking this outfit....

...if that adcom is intolerant to diversity.

Reactions: 5 users
I want to see someone show up to an interview with the contacts that Wes Borland wore when he was with Limp Bizkit.

I mean, I could seen an adcom not liking this outfit....

...if that adcom is intolerant to diversity.
This is not the kind of "special" we are looking for!
And someone took the silver outfit. She's in practice now. Admittedly, I don't know that she showed up in it at the other interview.

As long as they aren't novelty frame glasses or sunglasses then I think you're good. Can't be too choosy when most people probably only have one or two pairs. Just make sure they're clean and don't have grime or mold between the lenses.