1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Glide/Gap Years

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by MaenadsDance, Aug 20, 2011.

1. MaenadsDance

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Up until a week ago, I was certain that after graduating from St John's College in Annapolis, MD this spring I would complete the necessary pre-req classes at the University of Maryland, enrolled as a second-degree seeking student (so I could get financial aid, among other things). However, after a long conversation with my parents, I've decided I'll probably apply for at least two structured post-baccalaureate programs, probably the ones at Goucher and Hopkins, and possibly others (though I would strongly prefer to stay in Maryland).

For people who have done post-bacc programs at these expensive private institutions, how did you finance it? And what work did you get after completing your post-bacc that allowed you to pay your loans during the gap year? Because I already took two years off in the middle of my undergraduate career, I'm going to have some loans come due the moment I stop being a full-time student. I'm also worried about my ability to pay off 50,000 dollars worth of private loans from a private institution, during the gap year.

Thoughts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Lefty Doodle

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I didn't do an expensive post-bacc, but I had some thoughts. Finances are kind of tricky during the gap year. I am a scribe and make little more than minimum wage. I have a second job, as well, that basically pays the same (waitressing...it will probably pick up come fall though). I think it's hard to do much better when you can only work for one year plus have to tell them "um, I'm going to have between 0 and 15 interviews..."

My loans haven't come due yet (I'm trying not to think about it) but remember you will have other expenses too--not working/working part-time while you study for the MCAT, secondaries, interviews, not working while you go to interviews. I am in a financial hole I will not be able to get out of in time to re-apply next year if I need to (so I am going to skip next year's app cycle, a decision which relieves some of the stress of thinking about not getting in this year). But you will probably figure it out as you go along, like I have. It might be good to explain this stuff to your parents though, in case you really need their help. My post-bacc was ridiculously cheap but the federal loan system was having issues so I didn't see a dime in financial aid until second semester. My parents have bailed me out a few times in the past 12 months. I hope med school goes more smoothly...

4. kraskadva

kraskadva ...
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I can't speak for financing the post-bac as I'm not there yet myself, but as to repaying the loans...
    Talk to your loan company. You can get up to 3 years of "Economic Hardship" deferral if you're unemployed or making below a certain level. Even if you've already taken 2 years of this, you should still have at least 1 left. Or, if you paid on your loans while you took time off, and paid on time, you could probably negotiate a lower payment rate for a year or two that would be manageable even on a low income job. Sometimes they'll also let you make interest only payments.