Global Health: Columbia MPH vs. Hopkins MHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

publichealth06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in studying global health. I have been accepted so far to Columbia (MPH program in global health), Johns Hopkins (MHS program in international health), and a few other schools. I am torn between Hopkins and Columbia.

On the one hand, I know Hopkins is the number one public health school in the country. On the other hand, I've heard that an MHS degree is not as marketable as an MPH degree.

Is it better to go to Columbia where I'd come out with an MPH, or go to Hopkins where I'd end up with an MHS? At this point, I am thinking about applying to med school afterwards but am not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

publichealth06 said:
I am interested in studying global health. I have been accepted so far to Columbia (MPH program in global health), Johns Hopkins (MHS program in international health), and a few other schools. I am torn between Hopkins and Columbia.

On the one hand, I know Hopkins is the number one public health school in the country. On the other hand, I've heard that an MHS degree is not as marketable as an MPH degree.

Is it better to go to Columbia where I'd come out with an MPH, or go to Hopkins where I'd end up with an MHS? At this point, I am thinking about applying to med school afterwards but am not sure.

I would say that you should go to Columbia where you'd come out with an MPH. I say this because I think Columbia and Hopkins are very comparable in prestige and both will offer exceptional opportunities for you. If MPH is really what you are interested in, go for that. Rankings really aren't everything... don't base your decision on just rankings alone.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this? Has anyone actually enrolled in or completed the International Health MHS at Hopkins?

Members don't see this ad :)
WOW!! I am in the exact same situation between the two schools except I am epidemiology MPH at columbia vs. epidmiology MHS at Hopkins. I have been trying to get advice from people too and something that they've been telling me is that within the public health field, i think its pretty clear that hopkins is the best school, has been the best school, and will probably continue to be the best school (or at least in the top 2). So the question becomes is an MHS from Hopkins as marketable.

Here is the other thing...I am seriously thinking about applying to medical schools after I finish and I am trying to take that into consideration as I am making my decision. I am not sure how it'll factor in but I'm still trying to figure out. My columbia deposit is due near mid april so I guess I have some time left.

The hopkins public health school website has a link that allows you to see student profiles with their e-mail addresses. maybe you could try to get in contact with them (this is the site: http://commprojects.jhsph.edu/students/search.cfm)

Good luck, and let me know what you end up deciding on and why.

Hey basten0, I just posted a reply to your question on the other thread.

Another thing we have in common is that I'm also considering getting an MD after my MPH or MHS, though I'm still not certain that this is what I will want to do. I'll try to get a sense from both schools, as I'm going to visit them both next week.

(I'm hoping that the Columbia decision just has to be postmarked by April 10 and not received by then--if not, I may ask for an extension of one week)

publichealth06 said:
Hey basten0, I just posted a reply to your question on the other thread.

Another thing we have in common is that I'm also considering getting an MD after my MPH or MHS, though I'm still not certain that this is what I will want to do. I'll try to get a sense from both schools, as I'm going to visit them both next week.

(I'm hoping that the Columbia decision just has to be postmarked by April 10 and not received by then--if not, I may ask for an extension of one week)

Yea I need to see if I can get an extension from Columbia as well. I mean, I'm leaning heavily towards Hopkins but I haven't gotten my finaid stuff from Hopkins yet. I don't know if Columbia will let me have an extension since they have sent me my finaid package so I think they've given me everything they need to for my decision.

Enjoy Manhattan and Baltimore, let me know what you think.