1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Global Health Programs

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by drzuggie, Apr 16, 2007.

1. drzuggie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am really interested in Global Health and I am looking to apply to schools that have a good global health program/track. Any suggestions?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ms2007plz

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I didn't apply, but check this out: http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/bgcu-md/Gurion.html

From the website: "The Medical School for International Health is a collaboration between Ben-Gurion University of the Negev Faculty of Health Sciences and Columbia University Medical Center to graduate doctors with special skills in primary care and community, preventive, and population-based medicine. "

4. coral

coral Member
    5+ Year Member

George Washington has a great International Health track with clinical opportunities abroad.

5. Zippership

Zippership the Burninator
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am also interested in Global Health. It's hard to say exactly what a good global health program / track is because this largely depends on what you want to get out of it. Schools that have good public health schools attached to them are gonna attract a lot of researchers in global health which could give you opportunities for study. Schools with lots of money to spare will have more money to spend on financing summer opportunities for you. Also, a handful of schools now have global health residency offerings. Harvard/BWH has one of these in Internal Medicine and Social Medicine and Hopkins/Penn/WashU is developing another joint one although I don't know if it's established quite yet. What exactly do you want to study/do? That'll probably give me a better idea of how to guide you.

6. unfrozencaveman

unfrozencaveman not a dude
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys-

I am a student in the Miami Jay Weiss pathway-- just started this year. I couldnt recommend anything more highly, even while it's just getting off the ground. As a medical student you do some extra coursework in global health, have a mentor in the field in which you're interested, get placed into research in global health, and get to do externships abroad. The Jay Weiss center also has residencies (like Harvard) which function much in the same way, sponsor your MPH and as a weiss center undergrad, you're looked favorably on to move to the residencies.

I'm not sure why miami does such a poor job of marketing it, but I thought I'd put in a plug for those of you going into global health-- you couldnt pay me enough to be at another medical school at this point between the pathway and the clinical experience in Miami.

If that's not enough of a plug, when I was looking at schools last year and trying to decide between a handful, Paul Farmer told me I would be nuts not to go to Miami. Reason enough for me. He was right. As a first year I've already met some ridiculous people, gotten summer jobs, been abroad, and learned a new language (which I speak horribly)...

For more info:

http://www.jayweisscenter.org

7. enigma85

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hard to beat Harvard Med's Division of Social Medicine/Dept. of Infectious Diseases as well as its School of Public Health. Tulane also has a very strong Tropical Medicine program that many people may not know about. Look into schools with Public Health programs as well like JHU, Emory, Columbia, Yale, UWash, etc. (see full list here http://www.asph.org/document.cfm?page=200).

8. ericana_83

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    University of Washington has a global health track, including rotations overseas--one of the reasons it was my top choice. Unfortunately, it's kind of hard to get in unless you are from WA, WY, ID, MT, or AK. You have to convince them you are interested in primary care, for sure. Any chance you also might be interested in rural things as well?
    But don't take my word for it:
    http://depts.washington.edu/ihg/

9. cdsolution

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The Indiana University School of Medicine has a lot going on in terms of global health. It has opportunities for international experiences throughout the MS1-MS4 years with spring break trips, summer programs, clerkships, and international electives. We also have a very large "Global Health Student Interest Group" with over 300 members including medical students, public health students, undergrads, faculty, and community members. There is more information about the global health opportunities at IUSM on our website here: https://ghsig.usg.iupui.edu/MedicalCurriculum/tabid/2651/Default.aspx.