Global Health/Wildlife Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jellybean77

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all! I am currently a second year vet student who is trying to get the ball rolling for summer research experiences. I am currently looking for research in global health that gives some focus to wildlife-human interactions/conservation. I wold prefer ones with little costs since with the understanding that I am assuming living and personal costs. I'm open to domestic or international research. Any and all suggestions would be very helpful- I am really struggling to find an opportunity.
 
Hello all! I am currently a second year vet student who is trying to get the ball rolling for summer research experiences. I am currently looking for research in global health that gives some focus to wildlife-human interactions/conservation. I wold prefer ones with little costs since with the understanding that I am assuming living and personal costs. I'm open to domestic or international research. Any and all suggestions would be very helpful- I am really struggling to find an opportunity.
When you say "research," do you mean field research, bench research, clinical research experience, or something else? Are you also referring to zoonotic diseases ... or to anything in connection with global health/wildlife-human interactions?
 
Hello all! I am currently a second year vet student who is trying to get the ball rolling for summer research experiences. I am currently looking for research in global health that gives some focus to wildlife-human interactions/conservation. I wold prefer ones with little costs since with the understanding that I am assuming living and personal costs. I'm open to domestic or international research. Any and all suggestions would be very helpful- I am really struggling to find an opportunity.
Look at the Morris Foundation grants or the Merial vet student summer program. I will warn you though, the funding for Merial tends to be only in more in-demand areas...it can be very tough to get a grant for wildlife research. You'd probably have more luck with Morris. Speaking from experience, you can be told you had one of the best applications, but if the funding isn't there for your preferred area, it's just not there.

What school do you go to? If you have a wildlife/zoo clinician in your teaching hospital, you can reach out to them to see if they'll take you on for the summer on one of their own projects or at least help with writing your grant proposal.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Look at the Morris Foundation grants or the Merial vet student summer program. I will warn you though, the funding for Merial tends to be only in more in-demand areas...it can be very tough to get a grant for wildlife research. You'd probably have more luck with Morris. Speaking from experience, you can be told you had one of the best applications, but if the funding isn't there for your preferred area, it's just not there.

What school do you go to? If you have a wildlife/zoo clinician in your teaching hospital, you can reach out to them to see if they'll take you on for the summer on one of their own projects or at least help with writing your grant proposal.

Thank you for the suggestions! We do have wildlife/zoo vets; however, there is no global/public health perspective to what they do from what I understand. Maybe I can still ask them and see about a public health angle to their research.
I am at North Carolina State's vet school.
 
When you say "research," do you mean field research, bench research, clinical research experience, or something else? Are you also referring to zoonotic diseases ... or to anything in connection with global health/wildlife-human interactions?

I would like to do field research, with the understanding that benchwork will be involved. I am looking to do just about anything with a connection between global health and wildlife as I am currently exploring career ideas prior to graduating. To give an idea of what I am interested in, I looked into Conservation Through Public Health for research in Uganda.
 
Thank you for the suggestions! We do have wildlife/zoo vets; however, there is no global/public health perspective to what they do from what I understand. Maybe I can still ask them and see about a public health angle to their research.
I am at North Carolina State's vet school.
From an NCSU CVM third year:

This prof is your ticket. He was specifically brought on board to strengthen veterinary medicine's (and NCSU's) global presence:

https://cvm.ncsu.edu/directory/stringer-andrew/
 
I would like to do field research, with the understanding that benchwork will be involved. I am looking to do just about anything with a connection between global health and wildlife as I am currently exploring career ideas prior to graduating. To give an idea of what I am interested in, I looked into Conservation Through Public Health for research in Uganda.
Another question: did you already look at the Student Externship Locator provided by AVMA (see link below)?

https://www.avma.org/ProfessionalDe...cc-student-externships-special-interests.aspx
 
From an NCSU CVM third year:

This prof is your ticket. He was specifically brought on board to strengthen veterinary medicine's (and NCSU's) global presence:

https://cvm.ncsu.edu/directory/stringer-andrew/
Hey! I am actually working on finding research in order to do the new Global Health Program! I have spoken to him a few times, but he is not as familiar with anything to do with wildlife except for the Conservation through Public Health group. Still in tough but haven't gotten very far.