Global Health?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

younggotti

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I get that MD=DO and that you can practice abroad as a DO in a bunch of countries and join medical missions to basically all there are, but would anyone happen to know how international organizations involved in global health consider DO vs MD applicants? I'm talking about things like WHO administration and otherwise leading roles in the major institutions of global health. I've seen DO's in a bunch of specialties, and in management at a number of international companies, but have not yet come across DO's in leading global health roles. I would imagine or hope that there would be: OMT as a means of diagnosis would be of great use in low-resource contexts. I'd appreciate any info with regards to this!

Members don't see this ad.

lol bump. any help would be appreciated.

I´m also curious as to how accessible ID fellowships at academic centers are for DO applicants. I did some of my own research, and I found one DO in the Yale ID Fellowship, and I think there were a few at UMiami/Jackson Memorial too. I can't tell whether or not these can be taken as I perceive them or if it's the case that these DO's have to be superstars or whatever. I'd like to think that, since ID isn't too competitive a specialty, DO's would have some good fortune there. But one can never be too sure!

lol bump. any help would be appreciated.

I´m also curious as to how accessible ID fellowships at academic centers are for DO applicants. I did some of my own research, and I found one DO in the Yale ID Fellowship, and I think there were a few at UMiami/Jackson Memorial too. I can't tell whether or not these can be taken as I perceive them or if it's the case that these DO's have to be superstars or whatever. I'd like to think that, since ID isn't too competitive a specialty, DO's would have some good fortune there. But one can never be too sure!

In 2011, 75% of DOs applying for Acgme ID matched.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/chartingoutcomessms2011.pdf