Global Scholars Program in the UK!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shwinster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a question about the Global Scholars Program that SGU offers in the UK. This is only the second year of the program and I would like to find out from those who are in it how it is. I wanted to do the UK program rather than the Grenada program but I hear that the anatomy class in the UK does not do dissections on bodies - they actually get plasterized body parts to observe. This is what the admistration in NY told me a student told her. I just want to confirm with other SGU students that did the UK program that this is true - as I believe both classes should be allowed to do full dissections if they pay the same tuition, not to mention for the experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Careful this is not all 50 states, it is not Cali approved.

SGU may be the name but it is name only for now, you are not doing Basic Science in the country of charter and that causes License problems in some states.

you should check the forums here

http://www.valuemd.com/st-georges-university-school-medicine/

I believe the cadavers in the GSP program are prosected, not plasticized. This is the first I've heard of that. The GND students don't get to dissect during 1st term either; our cadavers are prosected before we get to lab. We can feel/poke around but no actual dissecting. There are dissection selectives you can take starting 2nd term onward.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now how much money do SGU needs, seems like there is not end to it.

GSP is largely aimed at UK students, basically they will get a foreign medical degree and never actually leave their country, since SGU has UK clinical rotations.

GSP is largely aimed at UK students, basically they will get a foreign medical degree and never actually leave their country, since SGU has UK clinical rotations.

Oh really! Good for them.

What about most American students actually going to Caribbean schools including SGU, they don't go to these UK, IRELAND clinical rotation or even local Caribbean rotations.

Oh really! Good for them.

What about most American students actually going to Caribbean schools including SGU, they don't go to these UK, IRELAND clinical rotation or even local Caribbean rotations.

Some do. At SGU, I had a classmate from Chicago who did her core rotations in the UK. I don't really recommend that route, though, if you're trying to get into a residency program in the US because a lot of American residency programs look for US clinical experience. IMHO, its better for American SGU students to do their cores in the US and then maybe do an elective or two in the UK.

this is not true, the first class was mostly US students, it still does not solve the Basic Science out of the country of charter issue. SGU does not have a UK charter for a medical school so it is not a UK medical school. You know the old St. Chris had this problem, Does anybody care that grads from St. CHris have been banned from like 10 to 15 US states now? Jeeze OK if its SGU breaking rules? I guess if you have enough money a lot can be swept under the rug?

this is not true, the first class was mostly US students, it still does not solve the Basic Science out of the country of charter issue. SGU does not have a UK charter for a medical school so it is not a UK medical school. You know the old St. Chris had this problem, Does anybody care that grads from St. CHris have been banned from like 10 to 15 US states now? Jeeze OK if its SGU breaking rules? I guess if you have enough money a lot can be swept under the rug?

OLDPRO, I think you are on the ball, things are looking a little fishy with this SGU basic sciences in UK. I won't put my money in it.

Well expecting Schools, any, to tell the truth, is not wise.

I know of more then a few Medical students who had to go to the Caribbean after US schools ADCOMs telling them if you reapply and do XYZ then you will be accepted, this has happened more then a few times.

Promises mean nothing IMO, what is, is real. Get everything in writing.:cool:

Yes, and I believe St. Matthew's had a similar problem. Holding basic science classes on a campus in Maine was one of the reasons California disapproved St. Matthew's. Again, in this case, basic sciences were being taught outside the country of charter.

Yes, and I believe St. Matthew's had a similar problem. Holding basic science classes on a campus in Maine was one of the reasons California disapproved St. Matthew's. Again, in this case, basic sciences were being taught outside the country of charter.

So there is history with other schools, other then SC, I think this should be a wake up call to everyone, make sure your degree will be worth something before spending 200k, listen if the school is not WHO and IMED, if the school teaches you outside the country of charter and or the internet, know you may have major lifetime problems trying to practice.