Farcus

10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2007
My Bed
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Ok in the kaplan study guide they're saying that glucose degradation result in water produced but how? I mean from everything I learned glycolysis doesn't produce water at all.

MLT2MT2DO

10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I was under the understanding H2O wasn't produced until the end of the E transport system...so it said Glycolysis and not Cellular respiration?

About the Ads

Farcus

10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2007
My Bed
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
well it doesn't say its cellular respiration but I will assume that since i'm quite sure it doesn't get generated anywhere else except the final phase of electron transport chain.

Farcus

10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2007
My Bed
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
actually I just read again on another place

Which of these is NOT a product of glycolysis
and one of the answer is water and water and FADH2, so of course i put FADH2 but now then water is produced in glycolysis but i swear i never heard of this nor did my professor ever stress this. This is specifically GLYCOLYSIS and not just respiration.

AsuKa

10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2008
ny
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
http://www.uccs.edu/~rmelamed/MicroFall2002/Chapter%205/glycolysis.jpg

step 8 /9

2-phosphoglycerate 2pg to pep phosphoenolpyruvate

structure is easier to see here: http://erkki.kennesaw.edu/schem229/glycolysis2.jpg

oh and if youre talking about glycolysis strictly, it's really easy to rule out FADH2, that sticks out like a sore thumb if you took biochem. FADH2 first comes into play during the conversion of pyruvate to acetyl-coa in the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex i believe.

but the mcat wouldn't ask you something so specific about glycolysis i believe. maybe something really general like what the first substrate is, or the final product is, or what is needed to run it (initial 2 atp) or something like that.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.