GMAT--any takers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shredder

User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registered to take it on Aug 1. Anyone else? Not that date, of course, but anytime in the future.

I'm surprised at the difficulty of the data sufficiency questions. They give me the most trouble for sure. I usually get them correct but feel very iffy when I'm doing them. It's all because of that -none of the above- answer choice, I hate that. It makes it so much harder. I'm hardly practicing writing at all, fortunately it's at the beginning of the test so it can be gotten out of the way quickly. Pretty interesting how they have an e-grader, I wonder how that works.

The rest is pretty simple. Sentence correction I love, what a breeze. Reading can be moderately hard but not like the MCAT. Critical thinking's cool. Overall the GMAT's a good test and a lot more sophisticated than the jurassic MCAT. It reminds me of how much biz blows away med in its efficiency.

I feel strange taking it as a 21 yr old; I imagine avg age is much higher for it, perhaps the highest among the standardized tests? But I haven't done much else this summer so I'd like to take care of it.

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking it on August 1st - I just started to really study! I hope to take my first practice test this weekend.

Shredder said:
Registered to take it on Aug 1. Anyone else? Not that date, of course, but anytime in the future.

I'm surprised at the difficulty of the data sufficiency questions. They give me the most trouble for sure. I usually get them correct but feel very iffy when I'm doing them. It's all because of that -none of the above- answer choice, I hate that. It makes it so much harder. I'm hardly practicing writing at all, fortunately it's at the beginning of the test so it can be gotten out of the way quickly. Pretty interesting how they have an e-grader, I wonder how that works.

The rest is pretty simple. Sentence correction I love, what a breeze. Reading can be moderately hard but not like the MCAT. Critical thinking's cool. Overall the GMAT's a good test and a lot more sophisticated than the jurassic MCAT. It reminds me of how much biz blows away med in its efficiency.

I feel strange taking it as a 21 yr old; I imagine avg age is much higher for it, perhaps the highest among the standardized tests? But I haven't done much else this summer so I'd like to take care of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
PolarBear04 said:
I am taking it on August 1st - I just started to really study! I hope to take my first practice test this weekend.
Ha! Fortunately you can get away with that kind of thing for this test, unlike with the MCAT. Very little actual content that needs to be learned, if any at all. They are such different tests. I'm soon taking a couple of computerized ones that the site gave free for registering to take it--did you take those yet? I'm lazy to get around to them since it takes a block of time kinda. Practicing writing any?

Stiff $250 registration fee--I forgot how much MCAT was, but it seems like this one is really high compared to any other tests I've ever taken. Still, at least it gives flexibility in when you can take it, and you won't have to take it in a crowded, stressful testing center. A much more personal experience, so it seems.

Long time no see Brett, I had a feeling you might pop in here though. It's a fun test, worlds better than the MCAT. Funny thing...it's actually called the GMAT CAT, computer adaptive test. GCAT? I'm having a lot better experience prepping for it--as long as my score can say the same! I'll let you know; scoring is same day I think, pretty sweet. The few months MCAT takes is unheard of among other standardized tests.

There should be two GMAT official CAT's available. I hope to take them and perhaps three more. I am aiming for a 670, you? I hope to get it the first time. I am rushing because school starts on August 4th unless I get off the waitlist at Boston University.

Shredder said:
Ha! Fortunately you can get away with that kind of thing for this test, unlike with the MCAT. Very little actual content that needs to be learned, if any at all. They are such different tests. I'm soon taking a couple of computerized ones that the site gave free for registering to take it--did you take those yet? I'm lazy to get around to them since it takes a block of time kinda. Practicing writing any?

Stiff $250 registration fee--I forgot how much MCAT was, but it seems like this one is really high compared to any other tests I've ever taken. Still, at least it gives flexibility in when you can take it, and you won't have to take it in a crowded, stressful testing center. A much more personal experience, so it seems.

Long time no see Brett, I had a feeling you might pop in here though. It's a fun test, worlds better than the MCAT. Funny thing...it's actually called the GMAT CAT, computer adaptive test. GCAT? I'm having a lot better experience prepping for it--as long as my score can say the same! I'll let you know; scoring is same day I think, pretty sweet. The few months MCAT takes is unheard of among other standardized tests.

PolarBear04 said:
There should be two GMAT official CAT's available. I hope to take them and perhaps three more. I am aiming for a 670, you? I hope to get it the first time. I am rushing because school starts on August 4th unless I get off the waitlist at Boston University.
I'm going to see how I do on one or two of the CATs and then decide whether to get a few more--they sell paper ones on the GMAT site but it's a little costly, or maybe I'm just cheap. I like official material as it's more accurate than simulated material from Kaplan and others; I was the same way with MCAT and practice tests.

I'm moving on the 6th, so I'm rushing too because studying seriously and taking it isn't feasible once the school ball starts rolling. I'm going for 700 to be safe, and I definitely don't want to retake, if only to avoid the fee. My summer will have been a waste if I don't get it done with. At least we'll know right away whether we cleared the bar or not.

Edit: So I took the first CAT and was pressed for time like hell on math, it led me to make many errors. Are you set on timing? I think it's one of the hardest (actually the hardest, period) parts of standardized tests. Material's never too difficult but the time constraint can add so much pressure and mistakes. And those blasted data sufficiencies, you have to test too many different cases. 2 min avg time per question in math leads to a lot of discomfort. I've largely forgotten SAT math but this seems markedly harder.

Btw where are you headed if not BU?

Drexel, if not BU. I am also waiting on Tufts, but, I did not update them. Therefore, I am really only waiting for BU. What about you, where are you headed?

Shredder said:
I'm going to see how I do on one or two of the CATs and then decide whether to get a few more--they sell paper ones on the GMAT site but it's a little costly, or maybe I'm just cheap. I like official material as it's more accurate than simulated material from Kaplan and others; I was the same way with MCAT and practice tests.

I'm moving on the 6th, so I'm rushing too because studying seriously and taking it isn't feasible once the school ball starts rolling. I'm going for 700 to be safe, and I definitely don't want to retake, if only to avoid the fee. My summer will have been a waste if I don't get it done with. At least we'll know right away whether we cleared the bar or not.

Edit: So I took the first CAT and was pressed for time like hell on math, it led me to make many errors. Are you set on timing? I think it's one of the hardest (actually the hardest, period) parts of standardized tests. Material's never too difficult but the time constraint can add so much pressure and mistakes. And those blasted data sufficiencies, you have to test too many different cases. 2 min avg time per question in math leads to a lot of discomfort. I've largely forgotten SAT math but this seems markedly harder.

Btw where are you headed if not BU?

Ohio State. I'm "waiting" on UPenn, Columbia and Baylor, but I knew it was doomed from the start bc I refused to update them.

Shredder - what practice tests have you been using? Thomson's Arco Gold is ok. I have veritas prep tests and 800score.com tests to go through. Do you have any recommendations? I am saving the two real GMAT tests for my last tests. Thanks

I haven't studied in nearly a week. I took the first real one and somehow pulled a 770 even though I didn't do very well. I'm taking the next one maybe today and if I do well on that I'm not studying anymore. I thought about getting some of those other tests, but I decided what I really wanted was the computer experience.

If I do decide I need more practice though, I will get a set of 3 old official GMATs from the site and quickly finish them. Doubt I'll do that however. I've always been a fan of official type of material myself. Maybe take the first real one and gauge where you stand?

I just took the GMAT today actually! Did as well as I wanted to. But here is my advice:

I studied for a week and out of about five books. I used the Princeton Review, Kaplan's Premier and GMAT 800 books, and the orange official GMAT book. Definitely definitely get the official GMAT book. I would also reccomend the GMAT 800 book. Do both of the practice tests off the GMAC website. If you scored a 770 out of one of those (not sure if thats the ones you are tlaking about) you are probably pretty set to do well. The practice tests in teh Kaplan book are way too hard, and dont simulate the actual difficulty so I would only do those to get some timed experience. My scores on the Kaplan tests ranged from a 580-660 and my scores on the GMAC ones were 700-770. I would say the GMAC tests are much more representative of the actual test (altho the actual test seemed much harder than the GMAC practice tests, tho they prob took account of that in the scoring) It's really really nice getting a score right after you take it. Any other questions, let me know. I'm just glad i dont have to take it again! Much easier than the MCAT for sure

I did the whole Kaplan 2006 book too, and also the hard ones from the orange official book. 770 on the first GMAC computerized one yeah. Just getting set to do the 2nd right now...it's so much easier than practicing MCATs, takes like half the time. Practicing MCATs was dreadful. Shoot, the actual test's much harder, that's a bad feeling even if they do account for it in scoring. Immediate score is unbeatable though.

Done with GMAC test 2: I'm having a hard time grasping how lenient math scoring is. I missed 13/37 and pulled 750 still. I think I keep comparing it to the SAT math. However, I honestly find GMAT math extremely difficult, and stressful. I rely totally on verbal to pull me out of the rut math puts me in. How do you guys find math? Considering the CAT format, maybe it's best to try earnestly on the first 20 and then leave the last 17 to mostly guessing until you get some easy ones you can reasonably tackle. Some of those problems cannot be humanly done in the avg 2 min time one is given. Working hard ones untimed routinely takes me 5 minutes or more. I wonder if anyone gets all 37 right, I would sure like to meet that person. Even 30 is quite a feat IMO.

I do think flawless verbal is within reason though.

PNASTY..good to know that it went well...how hard is it to get like a 600-650? I studied off an on for the gmat but haven't taken any practice tests yet...never got around to it..haha...still kind of ambivalent (40g's is still kind of a lot of money to throw..but i think it could be worth it. to get an MBA.)

I think i am going to study hard for about two weeks and see how it goes... not sure yet though like i said. i have the princeton review book and the kaplan book but i worked throught a lot of princeton review. I suck in math too..but good to know you can still miss a lot and come out with a good score. MUCH better in verbal though.

Shredder how long have you been studying for?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's best to go for mediocre math and huge verbal to get a good score. It seems to work. My studying by the time I take it on Aug 1 will have been about 3 weeks. I would say 2 weeks of that was serious.

Be careful with the missing a lot of questions assumption. You have to remember how the exam is scored. If you get the first 10-15 questions right (i actually spent a little bit more time on these questions by checking my answers at the end so my score would ramp up quickly) then you start getting the harder questions and if you average 1/2 right after that you will still get in the 700s. However, if you start out missing some you could miss the same number of Qs and get a 550. Verbal is within reason to only miss a couple of questions, but then again if you miss one question your percentile could be like a 95 because people do so well on it. Math is where you can pick up the points. I would focus on doing well in both sections because that is what jacks up your score. For example, I got a 90 percentile in math and 95 in verbal but 97 percentile overall....you know what I mean?

Oh, and I actually ended up buying the GMAT Paper Tests III, and was thinking maybe I could recoup some of my $25....if any of you guys are interested I can email you the tests and we could do some sort of paypal transfer for $10. I know before I bought it i was looking on ebay to see if anyone was selling them but they werent....anyways, if you are interested PM me and ill send you my paypal email address.

Shredder, dont worry about the real test being hard...they do account for it in the score. After taking the math section I totally thought i would have to retake the test, but ended up doing pretty well. Definitely report your scores so you can see what you got at the end regardless of how poorly you think you did. B schools dont care even if you screw up because they only look at your highest score.

I would say it shouldnt be too hard to get a 600-650, but you should definitely aim higher than that. In order to have a good chance (from what I have read, i could be wrong), it sounds like you should aim for a 700 (90th percentile) and up.

Oh yeah, some more advice: Make sure your signature on your driver's license is the same way you sign now. If it isnt try and figure out how you used to sign. My signature changes a lot and they wouldnt let me in until I convinced them that I was who I was. They made me sign and resign like 12 times before letting me in. The whole testing experience was ridiculous. If you thought the MCAT fingerprinting was harsh you will be surprised to know that after every break or any time you leave the room (As well as when you first go into the room and finish the test) they do a biometric fingerprint scan right there and compare it to when you get back from your break five minutes later (And they check IDs again). And oh yeah, they have a room with mirrored glass that they watch you from and a camera on ever test taker. It was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen!

I took the first GMAC test today and received a 32V/40Q. I am not sure of my overall score - any advice as to how I can calculate it? I definitely need to bring it up. Thanks

Where'd you take that GMAC test? The computerized ones do auto score for you, it's great and instant. pnasty I see what you mean about the order of questions--that's why I was thinking earnest for the first 20 or so on math, then after that going for whichever ones look feasible given the time constraint. And double checking the first several, yeah that sounds smart. Verbal's easy to finish well under time, not much reason to ration time there. And for anyone who doesn't know already, finish the sections otherwise they supposedly penalize harshly for omissions.

I think I'll take you up on those paper tests. And I've never heard of security like that, sounds ghey--12 sigs?

Shredder said:
Where'd you take that GMAC test? The computerized ones do auto score for you, it's great and instant. pnasty I see what you mean about the order of questions--that's why I was thinking earnest for the first 20 or so on math, then after that going for whichever ones look feasible given the time constraint. And double checking the first several, yeah that sounds smart. Verbal's easy to finish well under time, not much reason to ration time there. And for anyone who doesn't know already, finish the sections otherwise they supposedly penalize harshly for omissions.

I think I'll take you up on those paper tests. And I've never heard of security like that, sounds ghey--12 sigs?

well it was 12 for me because I didnt remember how I signed my license cause i got it when i was 16, and they kept telling me to do it over and over. I finished verbal with 20 minutes left in the section. Oh, and at my test center if you showed up a little early they would let you start early too. Check your PM Shredder

How do you solve without a calculator:

(1001^2 - 999^2)/(101^2 - 99^2)

Thanks

How about this problem:

If y>=0, what is the value of x?
1. |x-3|>=y
2. |x-3|<=-y

answer is B) Statement (2) alone is sufficient

Your first question looks like it's just a hassle, but the 2nd one I remember seeing on a test. I think I missed it actually, I believe I put C. y has to be zero and x has to be 3. The absolute value of some expression can never be less than zero, it can only be zero at the minimum. So when you see in statement 2 that the abs val of something is less than or equal to a negative y, that's the red flag. I hate those data sufficiencies!

Just a day or two more...

Ah as for the first one, remember A^2-B^2 = (A+B)(A-B), that looks like the right way to approach it

*done. 740. Any questions welcome, while the thread lasts. I wonder how much sway the score holds, esp for MD MBA types. Also I was surprised to see that the actual test was identical to the free practice software provided upon registration. I've never had a simulation that close. The interface, that is, not the content. Proctoring was ridiculously strict; I can't imagine a single test taker managing to cheat.

Shredder said:
Your first question looks like it's just a hassle, but the 2nd one I remember seeing on a test. I think I missed it actually, I believe I put C. y has to be zero and x has to be 3. The absolute value of some expression can never be less than zero, it can only be zero at the minimum. So when you see in statement 2 that the abs val of something is less than or equal to a negative y, that's the red flag. I hate those data sufficiencies!

Just a day or two more...

Ah as for the first one, remember A^2-B^2 = (A+B)(A-B), that looks like the right way to approach it

*done. 740. Any questions welcome, while the thread lasts. I wonder how much sway the score holds, esp for MD MBA types. Also I was surprised to see that the actual test was identical to the free practice software provided upon registration. I've never had a simulation that close. The interface, that is, not the content. Proctoring was ridiculously strict; I can't imagine a single test taker managing to cheat.

wow congrats shredder - thats a sick gmat score. coupled with your mcat score i'd say you should be ok for md/mba. good luck with the market making...

Thanks, how are things looking with the apps for you? Nice sig

Hey guys, I actually just joined SDN and this forum caught my attention, since I want to do MD/MBA also.

I didn't realize there were a bunch of us, but that's good news- at first, people gave me weird looks when I said I wanted to combine medicine with management ;)

I actually just took GMATs today too, which is sort of a coincidence considering this thread...anyways, for anyone still tryin to prep, I'd def recommend the software practice-tests that you can download from the site. The actual test is the EXACT same format (maybe a lil harder) and the scoring is much more consistent with the actual exam.

I took Kaplan exams and kept getting 640-680, and took the exams from the GMAC site and got 730-760, and got a 760 on the actual one so I'd def say they are more reliable indicators of your score

Hope that helps...

just finished the gmat. 710.

i'm graduating this year w/ my MD, thinking bout doing the dual degree at my school. What would be my chances of getting into a different school, like ivy league, etc that has a one year program. Anyone have info on this. I have basically no work experience as i went to med school right after college.

just finished the gmat. 710.

i'm graduating this year w/ my MD, thinking bout doing the dual degree at my school. What would be my chances of getting into a different school, like ivy league, etc that has a one year program. Anyone have info on this. I have basically no work experience as i went to med school right after college.

It will take 2 years for an MBA if you apply from a different med school.

It will take 2 years for an MBA if you apply from a different med school.

i'm only looking at schools that offer 1 year mba options.

cornell and emory in particular