GMAT Review Books/Course Advice

Started by JonnyWise
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JonnyWise

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I was thinking alot of you fellow pre-MD/MBAs may have already taken the GMAT and could help me out here. I am looking to take the test some point between now and the beginning of med school (hoping I get in of course). Can anyone recommend their favorite books or a course or something? Any other info you guys might have would be greatly appreciated also.

On a side note, any comparisons to the MCAT in terms of difficulty? I took mine in april 05 and was wondering if I should prepare to lose my life for two months again! haha.

Thanks
 
JonnyWise said:
So I was thinking alot of you fellow pre-MD/MBAs may have already taken the GMAT and could help me out here. I am looking to take the test some point between now and the beginning of med school (hoping I get in of course). Can anyone recommend their favorite books or a course or something? Any other info you guys might have would be greatly appreciated also.

On a side note, any comparisons to the MCAT in terms of difficulty? I took mine in april 05 and was wondering if I should prepare to lose my life for two months again! haha.

Thanks
same boat here, although i stopped studying for it until i can have assurance of some acceptances. i dont feel right studying for it otherwise, its like im taking a leap of faith or something, but thats just my skepticism about my apps.

a few months ago i picked up a kaplan gmat 2006 book, i like it. it has an online component too with practice tests and some reviews i think. i dont think its worth it to take a course for the gmat, its not really a hard enough test. there is a consensus that its much easier than the mcat. its on the same level as the SAT. additionally, med schools dont hold md/mba applicants to the same standards as standard applicants, so its probably not so necessary to rock the gmat. you only lost two months of life to the MCAT? wow, thats mighty impressive compared to my ~6. i do intend to devote about 2 months to gmat studying; 2 benefits are that you can schedule it for whenever you want, and you receive your numerical score instantly.

hmm anything else? i too would like to discuss the gmat since im in the same predicament, although this app cycle is enough as it is for now. i dont think you will find too many pre-md/mbas who have taken the gmat--ive met med matriculants who havent even taken it, as many dont even apply to the business schools until they matriculate in a med school. for now, if you havent already, swing by barnes asap and check out some of the gmat materials, it should give you a good idea of what its like/how easy it appears to be
 
I just took the GMAT (in the summer between MSI and MSII). I read the Princeton review book for some strategy help but I found that taking test after test was the best for me. A good website is www.800score.com where you can buy 5 tests for $20. The Powerprep software is the most realistic but it only gives you two (I used them as my first and last practices of the 8 I did) because it is put out by the company that writes the actual test. Here's that website:
http://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT/Tools/PowerprepSoftware.htm

I didn't find the Princeton review CD as good. There were some mistakes in the questions and the timer didn't work.

I took 7 weeks of around 8 or so hours a week and got a 740.

This timeline is assuming you are at a school that takes business apps after you're in medschool as is the case for me at UCLA. If you're ready to take it before med-school go for it. It will be nice to get it out of the way because things only get busier. Good luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thanks cabnd for the input. I am actually wondering about the MD/MBA at UCLA as its one of my top choices (assuming I get in of course). Do you know any older classmen who have done it already or are involved in it now? What do they say about it? I often get conflicting opinions as to the real benefit of the MBA. One of the issues people tell me (I dont know of its integrity) is that since you spend all your extra time studying for the MBA you dont have as much time as others to do research, etc so that you can shine on your residency apps. Is this true? Does it detract or enhance from your residency app? Thanks for the feedback.
 
the kaplan gmat prep is incredibily good...try to do as many practice exams as you can