GME partnerships and Burrell

Started by ahawke100
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ahawke100

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone please help me to understand the significance of a school creating GME partnerships and how these partnerships affect where the school's students may match for residency? Is it more likely for a student to match a residency with one of the school's GME partners? I always thought students could match h with any residency they choose upon obtaining their DO or MD.

I'm specifically asking this question with Burrell-COM in mind (http://bcomnm.org/academics/clinical-partners-and-gme/). I was impressed with Burrell during my interview, and I'm wondering - if I choose to attend BCOM - how attending this new school may affect my shots at different residency programs in the future. Please try to stay objective with any advice.

Thanks!
 
Look man as much as many people on SDN hate to admit their is tiers to residencies as well as DO programs. In BCOMs case, you may be more familiar with the area and the PDs than someone lets say in the NE, but that doesn't mean anything if you have low boards and GPA. While its always good to attend a program with many GME partnerships a lot of if is subjective on where you want to stay and practice. If you want to stay in the southwest and at new GME programs then BCOM is great for you. But if you want to work and live in a different region I would look at your other options. Again in my perspective the more established the residency the more hard facts you can make allowing you to gage it. In general (their are exceptions) the more established the residency the better. But all this is secondary,the most important things are your boards and GPA.
 
Can someone please help me to understand the significance of a school creating GME partnerships and how these partnerships affect where the school's students may match for residency? Is it more likely for a student to match a residency with one of the school's GME partners? I always thought students could match h with any residency they choose upon obtaining their DO or MD.

I'm specifically asking this question with Burrell-COM in mind (http://bcomnm.org/academics/clinical-partners-and-gme/). I was impressed with Burrell during my interview, and I'm wondering - if I choose to attend BCOM - how attending this new school may affect my shots at different residency programs in the future. Please try to stay objective with any advice.

Thanks!

The school creates GME because it's a standard by COCA (Standard 8.2 of the COCA Accreditation and Standards Handbook). COCA is the accreditation organization for DO programs.

It does not FORCE students to stay in the area. The only thing this does is it gives the students from BCOM an opportunity to match in the region in order for the school to meet it's mission statement and goals for serving the population the school is in.

Attending BCOM, which is a new school, does not affect your residency match outcomes in general. You will still be able to match. It's absolutely expected that the students at BCOM will match.

What it may do however, is affect your ability to match into strong residency programs that 1) have never heard of students from BCOM and 2) already have a preference of DO students coming from older, more established DO programs (example: https://medicine.umich.edu/medschool/education/visiting-students#do). So DO students from PCOM will have a better chance at matching to Penn State Hershey then a student from BCOM.

Another note and just my assumption so take it with a grain of salt: since the executive of Burrell tried to sporadically open up another DO school in WWAMI territory it has sparked some tension between the admin and medical school leaders of UW and BCOM's Bozeman. I don't know if it will do much, but it may possibly affect your ability to match into UW if Bozeman keeps pressing to open a school in Montana.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There are people who seek out this type of partnership so they can stay in the area. You can view it as your safety net in the SOAP/scramble.
 
Can someone please help me to understand the significance of a school creating GME partnerships and how these partnerships affect where the school's students may match for residency? Is it more likely for a student to match a residency with one of the school's GME partners? I always thought students could match h with any residency they choose upon obtaining their DO or MD.

I'm specifically asking this question with Burrell-COM in mind (http://bcomnm.org/academics/clinical-partners-and-gme/). I was impressed with Burrell during my interview, and I'm wondering - if I choose to attend BCOM - how attending this new school may affect my shots at different residency programs in the future. Please try to stay objective with any advice.

Thanks!

Your focus on residency applications will be in the surrounding area with BCOM being a new school. This is because BCOM hasn't built a reputation yet, since there are no graduates in residency programs to show what caliber of students the school is producing.

Having residencies set up in Las Cruces is the most intelligent thing that school has done. This prevents loss of rotation spots with GME to rival schools. It also has the added benefit of the programs getting to know the students that rotate there. This gives BCOM students a leg up against outside competition (especially since osteopathic programs like students who audition with them, the rotation acts like that).

This school will be very strong in the future at the rate its going.
 
Last edited:
Oh wow I have never seen a school explicitly outline which DO students are allowed to rotate. Any chance they might be more inclusive post merger?
I'm not sure. There are so many factors in the selection of schools eligible to rotate i'm sure the director of clinical rotations utilizes (far beyond what I'm aware of). The merger really has no precedence over anything at the UGME level, just GME. Sorry!
 
That safety net (600 ACGME residency positions) is too awesome to pass up

Where are you getting the 600 number from? From reading the feasibility report it's only around 450 and that's a 10 year outlook report. Which means most of the entering classes will probably have a lot of IM/FM/Psych programs available for them but that's about it. The opening of more competitive spots or fellowships, especially with the ACGME merger occurring, will not be a fast process at all. EDIT: There is a ortho program with one of their community partners. So it's good to see BCOM really focus on opening up positions as soon as possible for their students.

I think this is why it's told to applicants to take caution making their decision on what a new medical school says, because it's all plans and there's always a possibility it may not work that way at all.

BUT, BCOM having the partnership with NMSU is honestly a good thing to have and the possibilities of partnering and creating a health system are a bit easier with a full university backing you.
 
Where are you getting the 600 number from? From reading the feasibility report it's only around 450 and that's a 10 year outlook report. Which means most of the entering classes will probably have a lot of IM/FM/Psych programs available for them but that's about it. The opening of more competitive spots or fellowships, especially with the ACGME merger occurring, will not be a fast process at all.

I think this is why it's told to applicants to take caution making their decision on what a new medical school says, because it's all plans and there's always a possibility it may not work that way at all.

BUT, having the partnership with NMSU is honestly a good thing to have and the possibilities of partnering and creating a health system are a bit easier with a full university backing you.

Probably referring to this (they are increasing their goals)

(last page first sentence)
http://www.burrellgroupmtpfs.org/BCOMatNMSU-12-3.pdf

Would you also say that BCOM being apart of NMSU helps in terms of creating and establishing clinical research also?
 
Probably referring to this (they are increasing their goals)

(last page first sentence)
http://www.burrellgroupmtpfs.org/BCOMatNMSU-12-3.pdf

Would you also say that BCOM being apart of NMSU helps in terms of creating and establishing clinical research also?

Yeah the keyword there being "anticipated". I'd say the feasibility report is more realistic than this brochure. Still 450 is ALOT of spots and they do have somewhat of a monopoly of the community hospitals there because no one else is competing for them.

Regarding clinical research: I think that's a huge thing. NMSU currently has an NIH grant in collab with Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (just to reiterate, it's a top cancer institute to the likes of MD Anderson and Sloan Kettering Memorial Cancer Center) and I'm certain the start working with the faculty coming into BCOM to assist in gathering whatever data is needed for the project.
 
Can someone please help me to understand the significance of a school creating GME partnerships and how these partnerships affect where the school's students may match for residency? Is it more likely for a student to match a residency with one of the school's GME partners? I always thought students could match h with any residency they choose upon obtaining their DO or MD.

I'm specifically asking this question with Burrell-COM in mind (http://bcomnm.org/academics/clinical-partners-and-gme/). I was impressed with Burrell during my interview, and I'm wondering - if I choose to attend BCOM - how attending this new school may affect my shots at different residency programs in the future. Please try to stay objective with any advice.

Thanks!


Students generally have a leg up at their GME partners because you A) Sometimes rotate with them and B) They know (and sometimes are) the people at your school.

Pretty much all other residencies will see BCOM the same way they see any other DO school. There is not an osteopathic school that has enough of a reputation, good or bad, to actually cause you to get or not get a residency. Nearly every residency that isn't part of an OPTI and doesn't have a preference for their local osteopathic school will not care where you go to school, and will see BCOM = PCOM/MSUCOM/KCUMB/whatever is being called established.


The school creates GME because it's a standard by COCA (Standard 8.2 of the COCA Accreditation and Standards Handbook). COCA is the accreditation organization for DO programs.

It does not FORCE students to stay in the area. The only thing this does is it gives the students from BCOM an opportunity to match in the region in order for the school to meet it's mission statement and goals for serving the population the school is in.

Attending BCOM, which is a new school, does not affect your residency match outcomes in general. You will still be able to match. It's absolutely expected that the students at BCOM will match.

What it may do however, is affect your ability to match into strong residency programs that 1) have never heard of students from BCOM and 2) already have a preference of DO students coming from older, more established DO programs (example: https://medicine.umich.edu/medschool/education/visiting-students#do). So DO students from PCOM will have a better chance at matching to Penn State Hershey then a student from BCOM.


Another note and just my assumption so take it with a grain of salt: since the executive of Burrell tried to sporadically open up another DO school in WWAMI territory it has sparked some tension between the admin and medical school leaders of UW and BCOM's Bozeman. I don't know if it will do much, but it may possibly affect your ability to match into UW if Bozeman keeps pressing to open a school in Montana.

Residencies and their schools often have disagreeing attitudes about DO's, and UM is the only school I've ever heard of that only takes students from specific osteopathic schools. Not that it does any good for those 5. I looked through the match lists of those 5 schools and didn't see any UM matches last year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad