Go back to Undergrad??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenniemd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am currently facing a rather rare predicament. I finished all my pre-reqs for dental school and got in last yr (I'm a 2nd yr). However, during the spring semester, an unfortunate event occured and I couldn't take my final exams (was too late to withdraw) and therefore didn't graduate and my GPA tanked seriously. Now I'm seriously thinking about specializing in either Pedo or OMS and my question is this: Do I explain to the OMS Programs that I lost my preemie 2nd baby 2 weeks before graduation or do I suck it up and take those classes while in dental school to get my B.S ( I was an Econ Major so it isn't any Bio stuff). Any response would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

kenniemd said:
Hi everyone,
I am currently facing a rather rare predicament. I finished all my pre-reqs for dental school and got in last yr (I'm a 2nd yr). However, during the spring semester, an unfortunate event occured and I couldn't take my final exams (was too late to withdraw) and therefore didn't graduate and my GPA tanked seriously. Now I'm seriously thinking about specializing in either Pedo or OMS and my question is this: Do I explain to the OMS Programs that I lost my preemie 2nd baby 2 weeks before graduation or do I suck it up and take those classes while in dental school to get my B.S ( I was an Econ Major so it isn't any Bio stuff). Any response would be appreciated

I think that you only need an undergrad degree if the specialty program you are applying to awards an M.S. or PhD along with a specialty certificate. Sorry to hear about your baby.

Thanks! I guess a good way to rephrase would be
a) Do I need to explain my weird last semester of undergrad grades??
b)If yes, do I do it in my personal essay or wait to be asked at interviews ( if I get any invites)
c) Retake the classes so I don't have to deal with a&b above
d)all of the above
e) none of the above

This is finals week so pardon the exam humor

Members don't see this ad :)
kenniemd said:
Thanks! I guess a good way to rephrase would be
a) Do I need to explain my weird last semester of undergrad grades??
b)If yes, do I do it in my personal essay or wait to be asked at interviews ( if I get any invites)
c) Retake the classes so I don't have to deal with a&b above
d)all of the above
e) none of the above

This is finals week so pardon the exam humor
e

Do you need an undergraduate degree to get into a Masters program for specialty training? I would think that A DMD (and an acceptable GRE score) would be good enough to get into the graduate school. I left undergraduate without a degree too and I really don't want to take American Heritage independent study so that I can get a masters degree.

kenniemd said:
Hi everyone,

You won't need it. Don't worry. I had a 2.8 in undergrad and I now have an MD. I have a friend that went into DS after third year and he went to med school too. Master's programs won't mess with you.

kenniemd said:
Do I explain to the OMS Programs that I lost my preemie 2nd baby 2 weeks before graduation or do I suck it up and take those classes while in dental school to get my B.S ( I was an Econ Major so it isn't any Bio stuff). Any response would be appreciated

Having a 2.67 cumulative GPA in undergrad and have just recently gone through my OMFS interview trail, MD OMFS programs will ask you about your undergraduate grades if they are low, but no details were asked. If you have a low undergrad GPA, the medical schools are just worried about you passing the USMLE Step I. Now this is IF you receive interview(s) from MD OMFS programs.

In many cases, if your undergrad GPA is low, you won't even receive an interview invite from the MD OMFS programs with top US medical schools, which I have experienced this application cycle.

By the way, I see your SDN Username "Kennie MD", I hope you're not applying to dental schools because you feel like you're not competitive for medical school anymore. MD OMFS programs/residencies are very competitive to get in, you'll have to be top of your dental class.
There will be no need to explain why your undergrad GPA was so low. No one really wants to hear about family tragedies during interviews anyways. I wouldn't bring it up at all.

Even when I inquired about OMFS as a D1, one of the first questions my professor asked was my undergraduate GPA. I think that as Yah-E mentioned, certain OMFS programs seem to care more than others regarding the undergraduate GPA. If I were you, I'd probably just go back and take the classes to keep ALL options open.

Pedo or OMFS...strange combo, i don't think i've ever heard someone on the fence b/w those two.

The undergrad gpa should not be a factor for pedo.

Yah-E said:
Having a 2.67 cumulative GPA in undergrad and have just recently gone through my OMFS interview trail, MD OMFS programs will ask you about your undergraduate grades if they are low, but no details were asked. If you have a low undergrad GPA, the medical schools are just worried about you passing the USMLE Step I. Now this is IF you receive interview(s) from MD OMFS programs.

In many cases, if your undergrad GPA is low, you won't even receive an interview invite from the MD OMFS programs with top US medical schools, which I have experienced this application cycle.

By the way, I see your SDN Username "Kennie MD", I hope you're not applying to dental schools because you feel like you're not competitive for medical school anymore. MD OMFS programs/residencies are very competitive to get in, you'll have to be top of your dental class.
There will be no need to explain why your undergrad GPA was so low. No one really wants to hear about family tragedies during interviews anyways. I wouldn't bring it up at all.

Hi Yah-E,
I'm a 2nd yr dental student and I live in Maryland, hence the MD. I don't even think I want to do the MD program. Also I've taken the boards and I did ok. Pedo / OMS because I enjoy working with kids and I've had 2 and I also enjoy surgery. Those are the only 2 specialties on my radar and I'm sure with externships etc, I'll eventually narrow it down. Thanks for all the responses and keep the suggestions coming

do the best you can in dental school... grades, national boards, extra activities. get good references,,,, then post grad,,,,

If you are undecided between Peds and OMS - its normal... you havent had much clinic experience. If by the 3rd year you are still undecided debate a GPR that does a lot of OMS and has peds patients... then you have your senior year and a few months of the GPR to make up you mind and apply to Peds or OMS...

good lucj

do the best you can in dental school... grades, national boards, extra activities. get good references,,,, then post grad,,,,

If you are undecided between Peds and OMS - its normal... you havent had much clinic experience. If by the 3rd year you are still undecided debate a GPR that does a lot of OMS and has peds patients... then you have your senior year and a few months of the GPR to make up you mind and apply to Peds or OMS...

good lucj

good lucj

good lucj

good lucj

good lucj

good lucj

I am sorry my computer locked up and i posted too many copies..sorry