Go for DO or take a masters and reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BiggestMidget

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted some input from people -

I have been accepted to a DO school, however I am not 100% sure I want to attend. I only applied to DO schools as my undergrad GPA was low (3.1) mcat not great (28). Although I have no problem with going to a DO school, I wasn't positively impressed by this particular school and am having serious doubts investing so much in it.

I have also been applying to some masters programs to help boost my academic record. After this I will reapply, but this time to both DO and MD schools.

Would it be crazy to not take my acceptance and do a master's program instead?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been accepted to a DO school, however I am not 100% sure I want to attend. I only applied to DO schools as my undergrad GPA was low (3.1) mcat not great (28). Although I have no problem with going to a DO school, I wasn't positively impressed by this particular school and am having serious doubts investing so much in it.

I have also been applying to some masters programs to help boost my academic record. After this I will reapply, but this time to both DO and MD schools.

I think the question you have to answer is whether your doubts about this school are so great that you are willing to take the risk of never going to medical school anywhere versus going there. Because this is the worst case scenario, right? You do your MS, reapply, and don't get in anywhere. Do you have a plan B? Would you rather not go to med school at all than to go to the school where you're currently accepted? No one can answer this one for you. :luck: to you. :)

I'm not sure how receptive DO schools are going to be to the idea that you were accepted and didn't go. I know MD schools don't like it too much. However, if you really dont' like your school AND you think you can really do well in a masters, then go for it. Just remember that you're 3.1 will need to be offset by a huge jump in your academic performance in your masters program. And your current academic record will make it difficult for most MD programs to accept you, even with a year worth of grad classes to compensate.

Members don't see this ad :)

I essentially agree with Q. Nobody can answer this question for you. I can only tell you that I don't think it would be crazy for you to choose what you really want. And who cares what others think anyway? It's about your own aliveness. Do what makes sense for YOU. I wish you the best, and I see you creating the path that you most want and need. :luck: :thumbup:

Just reiterating what has been said. Turning down the DO slot might black list you with other DO schools in the future. A master's won't change your undergrad GPA which will be a non-starter for many MD schools.

It's very risky to turn down your only acceptance. Is being unhappy with this school for a few years worth the risk of never being a doctor? Maybe you'll get lucky in next year's cycle, but do you really want to count on luck?

You have an offer of admission in-hand. Many would beg, borrow, steal, and maim to have that opportunity. Only you can decide what is important to you.

I think you already know that your stats are pretty competitive for most D.O. schools so I think it really boils down to whether you think a masters degree will give you a shot at the best D.O. schools and perhaps some M.D. schools. For allopathic schools, a masters degree alone does not usually sway the Admissions Committee if there was a huge problem with the undergraduate GPA - unless it's a special masters program like the Georgetown SMP.

If it's a regular masters degree that will allow you the opportunity to engage in hypothesis-driven research, go for it if you can handle waiting another couple of years before getting to where you really want to be (med school). Publications do matter to some allopathic schools - especially the private research-focused ones. Good luck.

I honestly believed that accepting your offer is the best thing to do, however at the end of the day u have the ultimate decision to decide the next fate of your academic career.
Speaking from experience, i am currently doing my Master Program in Biology and simultaneoulsy studying hard for MCAT inorder to get into DO school. In this respect, i think it will be wise enough in my perspective to accept your admission offer instead of going for a Master degree.

Againa, you have the final decision of your life. Goood Luck.

For allopathic schools, a masters degree alone does not usually sway the Admissions Committee if there was a huge problem with the undergraduate GPA - unless it's a special masters program like the Georgetown SMP.

If it's a regular masters degree that will allow you the opportunity to engage in hypothesis-driven research, go for it if you can handle waiting another couple of years before getting to where you really want to be (med school). Publications do matter to some allopathic schools - especially the private research-focused ones. Good luck.

If you have a low undergraduate GPA, a masters is not going to raise that low GPA.

Doing a Special Masters like Georgetown can be great but can also be a death blow if your grades are not good. Doing well in a SMP is not a "chip shot" or a "given". These degrees are expensive and are hard work.

Take the DO if you truly want to be a physician. To turn down a doctorate for a masters degree just doesn't make sense or show good judgement.

If you felt the DO school that you were accepted to was somehow "inferior" why did you apply there in the first place?

If you have a low undergraduate GPA, a masters is not going to raise that low GPA.

Doing a Special Masters like Georgetown can be great but can also be a death blow if your grades are not good. Doing well in a SMP is not a "chip shot" or a "given". These degrees are expensive and are hard work.

Take the DO if you truly want to be a physician. To turn down a doctorate for a masters degree just doesn't make sense or show good judgement.

If you felt the DO school that you were accepted to was somehow "inferior" why did you apply there in the first place?
I think you know that I am aware of that...as is the OP. There is nothing in my post that implies graduate grades are somehow averaged into the UG grades.

My point is that capability in medical schools classes via a 'special' masters program speaks volumes whereas some people perceive 'regular' masters program to have inflated GPAs (though that is not always the case...as least where I went). So, the research and publications in the latter program, IMHO, are worth more to some allopathic schools than the grades - especially the research-focused ones.

I agree that the Georgetown SMP will be the nail in one's coffin if one does not excel. Low grades at that stage are simply not an option. The medical school classes are curved against the med students while the graduate school classes (fewer of them, too) in the SMP are curved against only the graduate students.

OP: for clarity - AMCAS lists a separate graduate GPA from the UG GPA. A special masters program (like Georgetown) will, of course, demonstrate capability in difficult classes, but the original UG GPA will remain 'as is'.

To the OP, with a 3.1 undergrad gpa you are putting yourself in a position where you are delaying your potential to become a doctor by at least two years in a best case scenario. That is also assuming that you do well, nothing sidetracks you in life, etc. etc.... I think that the difficulties that you might incur in life from having a DO as opposed to an MD behind your name pale in comparison to the risk you are considering. DOs are not barred from allopathic residencies, why not plan to do that? Clearly you are not absolutely opposed to being a DO or else you wouldn't have jumped through the necessary hoops for your application.

Also, your quality of life will suffer for a longer time because of the additional school years and additional debt. IMO, the SMP route at this juncture is a really, really bad idea.

Had a 3.1 and a 38 on the MCAT. Applied during my masters and after then again with a Masters degree and in the midst of a second bachelors in Biology. GPA in grad school and beyond was 3.6-3.7. Rejected from every allopathic school I applied to for 3 years. Had research, good recommendation letters, volunteer experience, clinical experience. Was waitlisted a few times but never got in. Accepted to DO school this year and wish I would have just applied DO three years ago. Would be one year away from graduating right now. If you turn it down you may be sitting without any acceptances 2 or 3 years down the road and regret it.

This is my first question...and I'd be interested in knowing which school.

My philosophy was I wasn't going to apply to anywhere I wouldn't go in a HEARTBEAT...so, i'm going to take my acceptance and run with it.

My mentor doc has just one quote for folks like you and me...

"JUST GO"..

This is coming from a guy that got in off a waitlist 3 days before classes started and had to move his wife and kid across the country on ULTRA short notice...ended up 2nd in his class and in a residency at Mayo.

It's up to you, but my personal feeling was I'm gonna be a doc in 4 years rather than 5 or 6 if I take another year trying for something "different".

I'm very happy with my choice, but had thought it through before I started out applying.

Had a 3.1 and a 38 on the MCAT. Applied during my masters and after then again with a Masters degree and in the midst of a second bachelors in Biology. GPA in grad school and beyond was 3.6-3.7. Rejected from every allopathic school I applied to for 3 years. Had research, good recommendation letters, volunteer experience, clinical experience. Was waitlisted a few times but never got in. Accepted to DO school this year and wish I would have just applied DO three years ago. Would be one year away from graduating right now. If you turn it down you may be sitting without any acceptances 2 or 3 years down the road and regret it.
Congrats on your offer! That is awesome!

However, to be fair, my feeling is that you are probably one of those enigmas in the medical school admission cycle because you did in fact interview at a few allopathic schools and your recent grades, MCAT, and EC's are quite remarkable. I take my hat off to you.

Members don't see this ad :)

Congratulations Doctor!...your resiliency is admirable!

I can't believe you didn't have more luck with that MCAT score...that's just unbelievable.

I figured I could play the silly games, or be a doctor...and I'm a year ahead of my original schedule.

After reading all these great responses, I feel compelled to give my personal opinion: take your DO school acceptance and run with it. There is no such thing as an absolutely perfect situation, and your happiness isn't dependent on where you are, or what school you eventually attend. If becoming a doctor is what you want, then do it. The opportunity is right in front of your face. In my humble opinion, to turn away now would be silly.

If, however, having a DO after your name isn't acceptable to you, and you are really intent on receiving an MD, then you may have a long road ahead of you. In this case, I wouldn't recommend getting a master's degree. Allopathic schools consider your UGPA with considerably more weight than your graduate work. Graduate work is considered by many allopathic schools as an intangible and is often treated like a good EC. Focus instead on taking more advanced undergraduate science classes and strive to get straight A's in fulltime semesters to raise your UGPA and to show a trend. Learn from your mistakes on the MCAT and retake it; strive for 30+. As you can see, you have a lot of work ahead of you.

Good luck, whatever you choose. :luck:

Definitely go to medical school while you have the chance! Once your in, whether it's DO or MD, it's up to you as far as where you end up. If you do crappy in an MD program you won't have your choice of competitive residencies...do crappy in a DO program and you won't have your choice of competitive residencies. If you do outstanding in EITHER program you will be able to do whatever you want. Either way, MD, DO, they are a means to an end and I'm all about taking the path of least resistance considering I have done the opposite and now I 'm paying the price....I'm several years older and not where I want to be. Seize the opportunity you have been given! That's my advice. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for all the great input!! You've definitely given me something to think about.

This is my first question...and I'd be interested in knowing which school.

My philosophy was I wasn't going to apply to anywhere I wouldn't go in a HEARTBEAT...so, i'm going to take my acceptance and run with it.

My mentor doc has just one quote for folks like you and me...

"JUST GO"..

I'm kind of leaning towards just sucking it up and going. After all, I will be a doctor.

The reason I applied to the school in the first place was entirely based on location. I applied to school because I had a decent shot of getting in and it seemed like a good idea at the time. However, after visiting, doing more research, and talking to some students I was negatively impressed. Especially after interviewing at a few other DO schools which had significantly better resources.

I'm mostly worried about the quality of rotation sites and also residency opportunites. I know I can apply to allopathic residencies but I need an outstanding record out of DO school. Since I'm not positive what specialty I want to enter, I really don't want to limit my opportunites so early in the game. From talking with some DO's, it seems an uphill battle to get top residencies and fellowships.

I'm kind of leaning towards just sucking it up and going. After all, I will be a doctor.

I'm mostly worried about the quality of rotation sites and also residency opportunites. I know I can apply to allopathic residencies but I need an outstanding record out of DO school. Since I'm not positive what specialty I want to enter, I really don't want to limit my opportunites so early in the game. From talking with some DO's, it seems an uphill battle to get top residencies and fellowships.

1) Well if you're going to be miserable, don't go! But try to see the wisdom in what previous posters have been saying about why going makes sense, and if you can't see it, and you will be miserable, try something else.

2) ANY RESIDENCY will get you to your goal. It doesn't have to be a TOP residency. Just like medical school, the last person in the class is still a doctor. If you get 'the worst derm residency in the country' (does that exist?!:laugh:) you will still land up in dermatology. So stop worrying about it.

Ortho when I graduated undergrad and had similar stats 3.01 and a 26 MCAT, so I did an MS in biochem, and still had a hell of a time with the DO school process (1 acceptance, 3 holds, 1 rejection), you obviously have good LORs and ECs, and would be a good candidate if you got an acceptance, but just remember your undergrad GPA is made up of around 120 to 140 credit hours, a 2-3 year 40-60 hour MPH or MS isnt going to boost that too much, after 2.5 years and over 90 hours of course/research (only 36 hours are course work) of grad school and a cumulative gGPA of 3.92, my total cumulative on AACOMAS was 3.26, and I got a 27 MCAT.

But then again I never applied after undergrad so I have no strong correlation here, I just thought I had no shot and did my MS, but I dont think just doing an MS or MPH will make the MD folks go crazy. Just my thoughts.

Might not hurt to try to DO route again and just say, you went to the interview and were not impressed with the school, every admission counselor I have talked with always says, "go where you fit in the best" maybe this school just isnt your best fit.

I would suggest forgetting about top residencies at this point and just go to the school and do well. Do your work at the school and everything else will fall into place for you regarding residency.

Realistically, you survived the application process with a 3.1, which limited your options severely off the bat. I can't help but think that wanting to an SMP and reapply because of the top residency concerns could potentially leave you with no residency (i.e., no med school) in the end.

I have concerns about some of the clerkship opportunities at some DO schools as well. Many MD schools just have access to better resources. But if I had the choice between Generic School of Osteopathy this year or Generic Allopathic School sometime in the future, I'll take the DO school everytime!

it seems an uphill battle to get top residencies and fellowships.

It's usually an uphill battle to get into the top competitive residencies (EROAD) no matter whether you attend an Osteopathic or Allopathic medical school. I'm sure there are some benefits to what school you attend, but if you want to match a particular residency, a huge amount rests on your own individual performance. Anyway, as you said, you have no idea what residency you want; your mind will likely change after your rotations, even if you did.

I still think the little bit of extra work you will need to put into matching a competitive Allopathic residency from a DO school (taking both the COMLEX and the USMLE, for instance), outweighs the difficulty you will encounter trying to make yourself application-worthy for Allopathic schools for the next round; also, suffice it to say that it may not necessarily "improve" your chances at matching a competitive residency in the future. However, if you are intent on the MD, then I made a suggestion of how to improve your application in my previous post.

Now, I'll leave you with the words of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards:

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you might find
You get what you need

Huge misconception here--Master's programs will not boost an academic record in the eyes of adcoms. Success in traditional Master's programs doesn't indicate success on step 1.

If you are concerned about money like me, I'd reload and try for allo acceptance in a state school nearby assuming that it would save me $100K. I'd rule out the Master's unless it is an SMP as previously mentioned.

If you want to go to grad school to get into a better DO school, then that's one thing. I think there are good ones and bad ones, so its understandable that you would want to go to a better one. Also, the purpose of the interview isn't just to see if the school likes you, its to see if you like them, so I don't think not accepting would automatically blacklist you in the future.

However, if you want to go to grad school so you can go to a MD school instead that's something else. Realize that if you re-apply later and the DO schools see that you applied to MD schools after being accepted to and turning down a DO school, they would probably really frown upon that. The pre-med advisor at my school told that year after year people with the exact same stats that apply to MD and DO get turned down, but people that apply only to DO schools get in. They're sick of being thought of as a back-up, they're getting more popular, and they can afford to turn down more applicants.

Huge misconception here--Master's programs will not boost an academic record in the eyes of adcoms. Success in traditional Master's programs doesn't indicate success on step 1.

If you are concerned about money like me, I'd reload and try for allo acceptance in a state school nearby assuming that it would save me $100K. I'd rule out the Master's unless it is an SMP as previously mentioned.

Huge misconception? I keep reading posts saying the exact opposite.

Check this out - a number of posters said it helped them out.
Master's Degrees - do they help you get in?

In addition, the pre-med advisor at my school is on the AdCom at two schools and told me grad school was a good way to go.

So if you have some solid evidence saying otherwise, I'd love to see it. For one I'm thinking about going to grad school, but secondly, because nearly all of posts I see against grad school seem to come from people who have heard it from someone else it wasn't a good idea, and most of the posts I've read that were for it were from people that have done it.

take the DO position. Dont wait and waste your time on Masters program. Your 3.1 is low for a MD school. Yes, they will see that you did Masters, but they dont care. Unless you get a 40 on the MCAT, you can wait. Take the DO, I recommend.

My thoughts now are that if you really dislike the school and really feel like it's not adequate, then turn it down, do something to improve the application and reapply. It's conventional wisdom on sdn that you should never turn down an acceptance, but I've discovered from reading around a little more than there are lots of people who do it and are successful. The key is that you have to have a really good explanation for why you did it. Also, allopathic programs aren't even going to know about the DO application or acceptance.

I think everyone here is getting caught up in the notion that you want to turn down the school just because it's osteopathic, which doesn't seem to be the case. Also, I think it's illogical to ask why you applied if you wouldn't attend -- you might not know you dislike the school until you actually interview.

Anyway, good luck! :luck:

In addition, the pre-med advisor at my school is on the AdCom at two schools and told me grad school was a good way to go.

So if you have some solid evidence saying otherwise, I'd love to see it. For one I'm thinking about going to grad school, but secondly, because nearly all of posts I see against grad school seem to come from people who have heard it from someone else it wasn't a good idea, and most of the posts I've read that were for it were from people that have done it.

njbmd is also on the adcom of two medical schools and here is some advice she gave me awhile back:

njbmd said:
No graduate degree, even a Ph.D will raise your undergraduate GPA. Taking graduate coursework to "prove yourself" to medical school admissions committees is a very poor reason to attend graduate school and obtain a graduate degree. Attend graduate school if you want a graduate degree and want to do graduate school in a particular area of study.

You would be better served entering a post-bacc such as the Johns Hopkins Post Bacc, your own informal post-bacc or the Goucher post-bacc which would provide the coursework along with some MCAT coaching (in the case of the Hopkins program) which will raise your undergraduate GPA. Anything at the master's level is not going to do this but make no mistake, if you enter a masters program and complete it, you come out with a masters degree.

The bottom line, I think, is if your low undergraduate GPA prevents a problem, no traditional graduate degree is going to raise it for you. However, special master's degree (SMP) programs, such as the Georgetown University SMP program, could potentially help, since it provides a direct and tangible way for the adcoms to compare you and measure your potential for academic success.

Anyway, BiggestMidget, do what you want. If you really do not want to attend the DO school in which you got accepted, and you are wanting to improve your application and reapply, that's fine. However, I'd recommend doing one of these options, if you make that choice: 1) taking additional undergraduate science classes through an informal post-baccalaureate program, trending A's, to raise your UGPA. 2) attending a Special Master's Program. Furthermore, if you are considering applying to Allopathic schools, I think your MCAT score could potentially cause you some problems. Keep in mind that the average MCAT score for an Allopathic matriculant is around 30. Thus, if you think you can do better than your current score, I'd retake it and shoot for 30+ (do lots of practice tests under real conditions until you can average 30+), to maximize your chances. Both your UGPA and your MCAT must be as good as you can get them; they are both important and tell different stories about your academic prowess.

Good luck to you! :luck:

Don't do medicine unless you are 100% sold on the career path and the venue in which you are training.

I was told, point blank, by an admissions dean that my graduate coursework (MPH) was utterly useless in improving the competitiveness of my application. A master's degree helps only those who had an a priori decent shot at being accepted and needed something extra to make them stand out in comparison to someone else with similar undergrad stats and MCAT scores (again, within the acceptable range). So, comparing it to a really good EC is far more valid than using it as a crutch to support a weak application (especially weak undergrad GPA).

Now, a Special Master's, as a few people have already mentioned, is an entirely different beast.

I was told, point blank, by an admissions dean that my graduate coursework (MPH) was utterly useless in improving the competitiveness of my application. A master's degree helps only those who had an a priori decent shot at being accepted and needed something extra to make them stand out in comparison to someone else with similar undergrad stats and MCAT scores (again, within the acceptable range). So, comparing it to a really good EC is far more valid than using it as a crutch to support a weak application (especially weak undergrad GPA).

Now, a Special Master's, as a few people have already mentioned, is an entirely different beast.

If you look at the thread I linked in an earlier message, FoughtFyr, goes from a 2.8 or something uGPA to a 3.8MPH and gets in. He (I think he, but not sure) claims the MPH was brought up at nearly every interview, and mentioned as a plus. He also served on an adcom as well later on. He has a pretty amazing app, not counting the uGPa. But there's no way his MPH was useless.

What is more, others posters that thread who got an MS and went to med school said that few students with an MS were turned down, and that MS is seen very differently than an MPH.

I mean, there are 120-some med school, not counting the DOs, so I really can't think all of them look upon grad school as a 'really good EC', especially when you consider what some of the posters in that other thread said.

"...A master's degree helps only those who had an a priori decent shot at being accepted...

Please consult a dictionary on your use of a priori. :)

If you look at the thread I linked in an earlier message, FoughtFyr, goes from a 2.8 or something uGPA to a 3.8MPH and gets in. He (I think he, but not sure) claims the MPH was brought up at nearly every interview, and mentioned as a plus. He also served on an adcom as well later on. He has a pretty amazing app, not counting the uGPa. But there's no way his MPH was useless.

What is more, others posters that thread who got an MS and went to med school said that few students with an MS were turned down, and that MS is seen very differently than an MPH.

I mean, there are 120-some med school, not counting the DOs, so I really can't think all of them look upon grad school as a 'really good EC', especially when you consider what some of the posters in that other thread said.

Please consult a dictionary on your use of a priori. :)

Eh, I don't think anyone here said that a master's degree would be, in your words, "useless." On the contrary. Anything you do that distinguishes you is of benefit in this process. I think by that reasoning, a master's degree would be looked upon favorably by any adcom, more or less depending on the given school in question. However, in general, you can't readily expect that a master's degree will compensate for a poor UGPA and/or a poor MCAT, if that is indeed the issue. Of course, if you look around, you'll definitely find exceptions. People have gotten in with quite a range of different UGPA and MCAT scores, I'm sure, even without a master's. It's such a variable process and there are so many different factors involved, that it's very hard to nail down that one thing that got you accepted; we can only guess, most of the time, and we'd do well to guess that it was a multitude of factors, including plain old luck. Nevertheless, there are schools that screen based on UGPA and MCAT, and it's quite clear that these specific statistics are what most medical schools value. This has been hammered in me by now through a variety of sources. Does this mean that you absolutely HAVE to raise that UGPA to get accepted and that some other method, such as completing an MPH won't work? Nope, not at all, especially if you've already worked the post-baccalaureate undergraduate class route to death already. But assuming you haven't beaten that route to death, raising that UGPA significantly and trending A's in advanced undergraduate science classes is definitely high yield in this process, and it will more than likely help you in most, if not in all, cases, if that is what is lacking on an otherwise good application. It's the conventional path, and it is known to work. But, hey, if you want to get that MPH, or another master's degree, and you are highly determined, I'm sure you can get it to work for you. I've learned to be cautious about saying never. There's certainly no accounting for the power of the human spirit and what we can accomplish in any given situation. As I've heard it once said, "there are many paths, but one mountain." There's no one formula for getting accepted, and I'm not going to stand here claiming that there is any best way. I just know what I've heard time and time again from many people. Could I be mistaken? Absolutely. The way I see it, do what you most want to do, take in all the useful feedback, trust your educated intuition on what is best for you, and if you do it smartly, I'm sure you can make it work. :thumbup:

Now that I think of it, after writing that tome above in response to your post, the best advice I can give is to talk to the medical schools in which you are interested in applying and ask them DIRECTLY what will most improve your application and exactly how to do it. Yeah, now that's getting it down to laser-point accuracy and precision; what better source than right from the horse's mouth.

Eh, I don't think anyone here said that a master's degree would be, in your words, "useless."

Someone actually did say it, or at least was quoting someone from an adcom who said it.
I was told, point blank, by an admissions dean that my graduate coursework (MPH) was utterly useless in improving the competitiveness of my application.

We're getting off topic I think. But I appreciate your viewpoint. Many roads, but one mountain...that's good. And you're probably right. MS or whatever else you have to do to make your application stick out.

YOU ARE CRAZY NOT TO GO.

Take your acceptance and run. With a 3.1 you are lucky.

DO's are physicians and have the same opportunities as MD.

Don't let your ego prevent you from following your dream.

I say run with what you've got, unless you're 19 yrs old and very motivated.

I would revisit the reasons why you didn't like this particular school and re-think whether they are really that bad. Doing another program will postpone your entrance into the profession by another two years and cause you to amass another $30-60K in debt (unless you have the funds). If you go and don't like it, there's always the possibility of transfer to another school (albeit small).

BTW, Some of the newer DO schools are still accepting applications. If you want to see some more DO schools, you might want to jump on AACOMAS and check those schools.

Thanks everyone for all the great input!! You've definitely given me something to think about.

The reason I applied to the school in the first place was entirely based on location. I applied to school because I had a decent shot of getting in and it seemed like a good idea at the time. However, after visiting, doing more research, and talking to some students I was negatively impressed. Especially after interviewing at a few other DO schools which had significantly better resources.

Man, I would just go if I were you you-- you want to be a doctor, right?

As the other posters have pointed out, there are no guarantees if you improve your application that you'll receive acceptances to allopathic programs or other DO programs and you're facing the risk of sitting empty handed at the end of this entire processs.

You said that you weren't that impressed with the school, but maybe you shouldn't base you're attitude on the school you could potentially be spending the next four years of your life at on an eight hour day and a 1 hour tour where you spoke to like 4 students who may have been disgruntled due to an impending anatomy exam or something like that. I guess my point is, medical school is, for the most part, medical school. You're going to be learning the exact same concepts everyone else across the country is using pretty much the exact same resources. So what if my lecture hall is prettier than yours?

So you didn't think that your rotation sites were great. You don't know that--they might be a spectacular place to learn. Even if they aren't, this can be remediated by rotating internships during your fourth year where you have the chance to show program directors your stuff.

You don't want to limit your opportunities so early in the game? No one is limiting your opportunities, my friend. The only one limiting your future is you. In fact a great big door has just been burst open for you-- you have just past one of the biggest milestones of your career by getting into medical school so don't poison the next four years of your future with this attitude that your school isn't "good enough" and that you won't be able to obtain a good residency because you're a DO; it's not true. With good board scores and a strong clinical performance, you will match very well.

Good luck with your decision and choose wisely young grasshopper. And should you choose wisely, remember to change your attitude and look forward to these next four years with positivity and not, "oh my God, I should be at an allopathic school right now" attitude.

My thoughts now are that if you really dislike the school and really feel like it's not adequate, then turn it down, do something to improve the application and reapply. It's conventional wisdom on sdn that you should never turn down an acceptance, but I've discovered from reading around a little more than there are lots of people who do it and are successful. The key is that you have to have a really good explanation for why you did it. Also, allopathic programs aren't even going to know about the DO application or acceptance.

My thoughts exactly. Reminds me why I'm totally in :love: with Bagel.

I'm not big on "settling" for anything in life--job, education, spouse, whatever. Bring it strong or don't bring it at all.

My thoughts exactly. Reminds me why I'm totally in :love: with Bagel.

I'm not big on "settling" for anything in life--job, education, spouse, whatever. Bring it strong or don't bring it at all.
Well, but that's precisely the problem, isn't it? To be perfectly blunt, the OP's position is anything but "strong" for getting into *any* medical school. Yet somehow, s/he beat the odds with an average MCAT and a subpar GPA, and s/he is now talking about looking a gift horse in the mouth. I think that's what most people are reacting to more than anything. Go up to preallo and read the sob stories of the kids with the 38 MCATs who didn't get in anywhere, and you'll see what I mean. :)

Edit: I just want to say that my post should in no way be construed as telling the OP what to do. At this point, we've all beaten this gift horse to death by now, and s/he is perfectly capable of figuring out whether the risk is worth taking or not. Really, it doesn't matter what any of us would do in the OP's position, since we're not the ones in that position.