Go for it, or be wise and save - Poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

What is the right decision? Must prove myself.

  • Stay, try crush all 3

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Opt for not for credit - invest into other two

    Votes: 8 61.5%

  • Total voters
    13

rhodesmd2024

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,.

First time poster in this forum - I just wanted to run this bye the group. I want to get your incites.

Backstory: I am in 3 courses this semester and I am pulling A's in two of the them. The third has just two class meetings left - a third exam, worth 15% of the final, and the last meeting, the final, worth 37.5% of the grade. I have to get an A on the third exam (Can do) and an A on the final to come away with a B in the course.
The problem is the timing - the final exam in this course is 3 days away from my immunology final, which I must prepare for and crush in order to get the A. Then the next day I have the biochemistry final, which is worth 30% of the grade and I also must crush.

I have the opportunity to submit a 'not for credit N/P' audit sheet for this course given the nature of the class and the school. It would go down as an N/P grade, from my understanding, and have no credit hours, so not report to AMCAS based on the way the petition is formatted. I can follow up with the school tomorrow to confirm this is the way it will appear on the transcript and no grade will actually be assigned.

I will get A's on each course, but should I stick it in, hammer it out, and make every sacrifice for the B and try for the two A's, or collect my energy nuts and invest them in the two courses for A's and then plan to take an extra course next semester?

(Prior GPA is very very low, non trad student, must have A's to prove myself. All that matters is I prove prove prove. I have no other commitments that will take away energy.
 
Realistically, can you pull A's on the last two exams? If your grade is already that low, it would make me question whether you're really capable of acing the last two exams.
 
It would go down as an N/P grade, from my understanding, and have no credit hours, so not report to AMCAS
(Prior GPA is very very low, non trad student, must have A's to prove myself. All that matters is I prove prove prove. I have no other commitments that will take away energy.
All courses taken - whether audit or graded - get put on AMCAS.

2nd - you do not need ALL A's to prove yourself; mostly A's + solid MCAT + solid EC's + excellent LORs should help get you an interview or 2
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
if you need that A being that your GPA is already low then drop it n retake it. if you're ok with the B then continue however keep in mind that you need an A not A- not a B or C...if u cant be sure to get the A then get the n/p. also, I'm assuming the final is cumulative which means you'll be tested on topics you didn't do well in earlier in the semester.
 
Hi Everyone!

Yes!
I am confirming that the grade listed will be "NC" meaning Non credit at 0 credit hours. Per AMCAS, if no official letter grade is given with no credit hours, it will not affect my GPA, which is my overall concern.

I just want to do my homework here and dot my T's and cross my I's.

I have to prove myself with my poor undergrad, but want to be strategic and put my best face forward, rather than risking everything by staying and attempting to do well yet jeopardizing A's in the other two. If I must stay in the third, I will, but I must be smart!
 
Got some feedback guys medical schools might see NP as an F

Might go for it and generate all the immune response planning and grit I have in me.
 
if you need that A being that your GPA is already low then drop it n retake it. if you're ok with the B then continue however keep in mind that you need an A not A- not a B or C...if u cant be sure to get the A then get the n/p. also, I'm assuming the final is cumulative which means you'll be tested on topics you didn't do well in earlier in the semester.

Thank you!

I can take this summer and get an A!

Will have course corrected, done well, and then pushed. And now can have A and know it and go all out!
 
Hi Everyone!

Yes!
I am confirming that the grade listed will be "NC" meaning Non credit at 0 credit hours. Per AMCAS, if no official letter grade is given with no credit hours, it will not affect my GPA, which is my overall concern.

I just want to do my homework here and dot my T's and cross my I's.

I have to prove myself with my poor undergrad, but want to be strategic and put my best face forward, rather than risking everything by staying and attempting to do well yet jeopardizing A's in the other two. If I must stay in the third, I will, but I must be smart!
It may not affect your GPA but it is still reported through AMCAS and ADCOMs can still see this. I had a drop on my transcript as well that was a passing drop, no hours towards GPA, etc but it still shows up as a drop. This may be something you will have to explain in an interview if it comes up so keep that in mind. As far as your finals, you have to know your own limits. Do you think you could realistically suck it up and do 16 hours a day and ace all three exams? Only you can answer this. I know for my biochem class I had to study 3 times as much as I did for other classes and that was just to earn a B (impossible professor). Best of luck.
 
Alright everyone. Course corrected . Took exam 3 .. ended up mixing up plasmin degrades fibrin and factor 13 leads to clotting.
Got an 86 on exam 3. Should’ve had 90-94 without error.

One final left - a week from today. Need A to get B in class and will email professor to confirm.

9 days is immunology final - will review slides everyday to know this. Can meet with Professor again to review top ideas for final

10 days biochemistry final. Review sessions tomorrow and a week from tomorrow.

It’s a challenge, but get to schedule, be strategic, and focused!
 
Hi everyone!
T minus 24 hours. My gma passed yesterday and I am emailing to see if can have more time given circumstances.
I’m going to crush other two now and if can’t get more time will audit.
Very grateful but will push.
Gma supported me and wanted all As.
Feel she’s leading me to audit.
 
if you need that A being that your GPA is already low then drop it n retake it. if you're ok with the B then continue however keep in mind that you need an A not A- not a B or C...if u cant be sure to get the A then get the n/p. also, I'm assuming the final is cumulative which means you'll be tested on topics you didn't do well in earlier in the semester.

Thank you again Belle!
Audit seems appropriate