go to school in cali...or chicago?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanted your opinion... thanks!

• UCSD (out-of-state)

Votes: 51 58.0%
  • Pritzker

Votes: 37 42.0%

• Total voters

hoping2004

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you rather go to UCSD (out-of-state) or U.Chicago?

Members don't see this ad.

wow...it's neck and neck. any opinions? (even though i'm out-of-state, i'll be paying in-state tuition (they were kind enough to offer me a scholarship...)). thanks for any input! i truly appreciate it.

scholarship at ucsd?

wow go to sd. strong in both research and primary care. you really cant go wrong with sd.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSD hands down, great weather, great education, Lajolla is a beutiful city, and cali women (need I say any more?)

Which lifestyle do you like??? The schools are extremely similar (research, curriculum, etc, etc) so really it comes down to location. Do you like the laid back style of San Diego or the bustling style of Chicago??

One deciding factor (at least for me) will make me choose Pritzker over UCSD instead. Pritzker has a very famous Business school and Law school. If you're interested in taking classes in those areas, or doing combined MD/MBA, Pritzker will be a better choice.

Or else, UCSD's tuition is much more attractive than Pritzker

UCSD w/out a doubt-- but then I am biased since it is my alma mater...

Originally posted by hoping2004
Would you rather go to UCSD (out-of-state) or U.Chicago?

Have you ever lived in Chicago? I'd pick UCSD, hands down. UC is a great school but as I look out my window and see 4 inches of snow on the ground....there is nothing that could keep me from Cali right now!! (it's in the 70's in SD)

Really though, you have to pick the place you feel you will fit in the most. It's all about where YOU will be the happiest!!
Good luck.

since I'm waitlisted at Pritzker I think you should go to UCSD : )
The weather in San Diego would be hard to beat, I liked that pritzker isn't very competative, and that they have a really good internal medicine program (Which UCSD may have too, I just don't know).

Congrats on the scholarship! I don't know much about either of those schools, but I am a fan of both cities. I have a lot of love for Chicago, spent several years near there and I can honestly say it's my favorite city. That said, I also lived in San Diego for over three years, and loved it. They are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT cities - in many ways - you will have to pick which of them fits you better. Or, flip a coin, because you really can't go wrong in either place.

thanks for the input guys! keep them coming... i don't really have a gut feeling for either school, so just trying to get people's ideas/experiences of cities/schools.

I've never been to San Diego, so can't comment on that, but if you're not used to cold weather, I would seriously reconsider Chicago!

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion but man I think California is SOOOO overrated. Horrible (nonexisting) public transportation, weird vibe from people in general, terrible traffic, etc.

I felt like I should stick up for the Chi-town people...

Give me hustle and bustle city attitude anyday.

Originally posted by StrngoutAS
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion but man I think California is SOOOO overrated. Horrible (nonexisting) public transportation, weird vibe from people in general, terrible traffic, etc.

Most people in Cali drive, and probably (exaggerating) most don't even know how to use a subway system.

I grew up in an urban city that sorta has the setting of New York, and I just got so disappointed when I came to L.A. and the public transportation is mediocre. I'm very much leaning towards moving out of California partly b/c of that.

I don't know anything about UCSD, but the tuition break would be enough to tip the scale for me if I were undecided. On the other hand, my boyfriend went to Pritzker and loved it. The only thing is that UofC is fairly isolated from the rest of the city so you don't get the "Chicago" experience as much. Hyde Park is starting to pick up, but most people I know still drive up to the northside whenever they go out.

Originally posted by CalBeE
Most people in Cali drive, and probably (exaggerating) most don't even know how to use a subway system.

That is NOT an exaggeration. We have freaking bus strikes every couple of months so you can't depend on them. Oh, and... we have a subway? The only time I ever used a subway was in NY because my school trip made us. SCARY!!

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
That is NOT an exaggeration. We have freaking bus strikes every couple of months so you can't depend on them. Oh, and... we have a subway? The only time I ever used a subway was in NY because my school trip made us. SCARY!!

Another thing is when I tried to explain to my roommate how unusual L.A. is and that it's not so much an urban city, but a huge "town", he couldn't understand it at all.

He spent almost his whole life in California, and the only other country he has been to is Canada. Obviously he didn't think that every other major city in the world have extensive public transportation system and much more "crowded" environment.

public transportation up in northern california is much better than it is in southern california.

ive lived in both ny and the la area...and id still stick with socal. i just like to have a much more relaxed environment.