Go to the specialty you are interested in, NOT because prestige/or parents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oscarmu25

Reaction score
Guys
I am an FMG PGY1 internal medicine resident in a competitive program (state top 3).
I applied and ranked this program because to feed my ego, but let me give you a suggestion. DON't DO IT!

When I was in medical school, I loved primary care (family medicine), I love interact with patients and build a rapport with patients. I love to see kids reach their milestone and love to give perinatal care. And I have above average step scores and got few interviews.

However, before I rank, I did some research regarding program's prestigious or name, then ranked that program #1.
In a nutshell, Matched ->struggled ->disliking it. Because too much inpatient, I am ok with few blocks but not 7-8months of total inpatients in first yr. Second, continuity of care does not exist (at least program tried). I hardly learn pap smear, prostate palpation and MUSK stuffs.
Don't get me wrong, faculties and preceptors are super supportive, but I do not see myself not doing everything : minor outpatient procedure, perinatal care, psych, ped and medicine.

Now I am switching to a FM program that is outpatient heavy, PD is supportive. BUT MORALE OF THE STORY, LISTEN TO YOUR HEART!

Members don't see this ad.

That's fair, but there are also plenty of people who are happy. If prestige makes you happy, do it.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
That's fair, but there are also plenty of people who are happy. If prestige makes you happy, do it.
I should not , it does not make me happy unfortunately. So now I am switching to FM. ~ Sigh, thousand regrets

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
anyone? will I have easier time to match into a FM compare with others?

Status
Not open for further replies.