Go to Top 10 program even if not going into academics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perzian

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Is it worth going to a top 10 program if you are not planning to go into academics? If you are going into private practice, does it really matter if you went to a top 10 program?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on what you want to do with your career. The match for retina fellowship was yesterday. Some would say that surgical retina along with oculoplastics are the most competitive fellowships that you can match into. I am currently doing a rotation at a top 10 ophtho program (my internship is flexible like that). Both residents applying for retina got their #1 choices at top programs. Does this mean that going to a place like Doheny is necessary to match into a retina or plastics fellowship? No...but it probably helps.

I think the most important ingredient to their success what the fact that these residents were excellent applicants. So, I'll re-phrase your question. Is it worth going to a top 10 program if your goal is to become an excellent community ophthalmologist? Not necessarily. The advice passed on to me was to be the best ophthlamology resident you can be regardless of where you do your training!

Good luck to all of you during this interview season!

I couldn't agree more. What type of resident you are is much more important long term than where you do your training. If you're curious, disciplined and dedicated to achieving excellence in your clinical skills, then you're going to be an outstanding ophthalmologist almost regardless of where you train.

my two cents