goals for summer internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whompwhomp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting my summer (small animal) internship this week, and I am supposed to meet up with the doctor with a list of goals. I just completed my first year, so my knowledge base is still pretty basic. So far I have:

-technical skills (venipuncture, catheters, sutures, cysto)
-reinforce lab skills (fecals, FNA, UA, ear swabs)
-reinforce anatomy via radiographs
-physiological case studies on renal failure and heart failure particularly since they effect so many systems)
-learn to understand lab values (cbc, chem, etc)

Any advice of what else to learn/what you wished you had learned? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I always recommend people ask the doctors why they are picking certain meds to prescribe over others and learn the names of the drugs if possible. I really feel like it helped me out in our pharm course. I had an easier time in the course because I could think to myself, "ok, onisor is also known as robenacoxib and we gave it to cats as an NSAID" or something along those lines. Basically I just had a frame of reference of what was used on a regular basis, therefore I knew what was likely to be emphasized in my class. I had a much easier time than my friend who spent most of her vet hours just palpating horses and cows.

You might not think about it, but one of the most important skills that (I think) you won't learn very well in school is client interaction: How to make clients comfortable, how to discuss problems so clients trust you, how to deal with the costs of treatment, especially with clients have limited budgets, and how to deliver difficult (bad) news,