Going abroad during admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HB_

Reaction score
Essentially, I want to go abroad to Spain for a few weeks in October with family to do a Spanish immersion program (one of my big goals for my gap year is learning some Spanish). My only school that interviews in person is Jefferson and I should be able to do remote interviews from Spain. My question is more, does it look bad to take a sabbatical from work during applications to travel (especially when I literally just spent 2 months over the summer traveling). I don't want to come off like I'm doing nothing on my gap year, but I'd also like to enjoy it.

Members don't see this ad.

The only issue would be with scheduling interviews. Some places are back to in-person. I can't imagine you'd be judged for learning Spanish.

It wouldn’t look bad, people vacation literally all the time during their app year (the ones who are financially stable anyway.. lol). Only issue would be scheduling interviews.

But, I honestly don’t even know how schools would know unless you told them. You’re under no obligation to make your life less fun for a school you’re not even attending yet! Set some boundaries and go enjoy this cool thing, there’s no need to tell schools about it unless you’d like to talk about how it’s to help you learn Spanish.

Reactions: 1 user
Do your vacation and Spanish training. Life is short.

But I understand the paranoia. Most processes are rolling, so your chances at a seat are always better early. However not all seats are given away in October, and a lot of people are on waitlist until spring.