Going at it alone and could use input!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AntonioDevon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I have been lurking on this site for some time now but today I decided to put my life out there to see if I could get some input. I am 29 year old pre-med student and for ease I will list my "stats" in bullet point format:

- Graduated with Business Degree in 2010 2.92 Gpa
- Worked 3 years after graduation at a Drug Treatment Center (urine analysis, patient transport, and medication admin)
- Completed EMT-B certification and worked for Event EMS for a little over a year
- Around 40ish hours of shadowing ER doctors
- Possibly 100+ hours of volunteering
- Currently in a Pre-med summer program
- Attended 2 schools after graduation to complete Prereqs (Community Colleges)
- 3.4gpa first school and recently finished with a 3.6gpa

I am pretty much going at this alone with no advisor and lots of researching. I use MSAR frequently and I am kind of limited to MD/DO schools in Florida as I plan to get married and start a family soon. My list at the moment includes USF Morsani, University of Central Florida, and LECOM Bradenton. Its a very small list so I want to put myself in the best position to apply. I take the MCAT August 5th and I am studying daily (Practice exams and such). Recently got a 514 on a practice test. I will keep taking tests to improve and stay sharp. Again I will apply next year after moving to Florida and my question is...What else can I do to become more competitive? Considering working as an EMT or CNA when I move to Florida. Are there any other school recommendations? Anything would be appreciated. Thank you for taking your time and for your input. Best Regards.

P.S. Would it be advisable to apply to LECOM only this cycle or wait to apply to all next cycle when I have more clinical exposure? Really I'm going to see how I do on my MCAT but its not scheduled until September.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're doing everything you're supposed to. I would wait to apply until next cycle for all schools so that you have all your options.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.

As a side note, you may want to consider removing information that could be used to identify you (i.e. the name of the colleges / programs that you attended) in order to protect your anonymity.

Now, back to it. It sounds like you are doing well with checking off the boxes. The big glaring question that remains to be answered is what is your current cGPA and sGPA using both AAMC and AACOMAS guidelines? Since you plan on applying to only a few schools, your GPA is going to play a very big role. However, I do think you need to reevaluate your plan to apply to only Florida schools. While I understand starting a family, I think this kind of self imposed limitation doesn't reflect the reality of how competitive medical school admissions are (even for osteopathic schools). My advice would be to identify a few more osteopathic medical schools to apply to. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the forums.

As a side note, you may want to consider removing information that could be used to identify you (i.e. the name of the colleges / programs that you attended) in order to protect your anonymity.

Now, back to it. It sounds like you are doing well with checking off the boxes. The big glaring question that remains to be answered is what is your current cGPA and sGPA using both AAMC and AACOMAS guidelines? Since you plan on applying to only a few schools, your GPA is going to play a very big role. However, I do think you need to reevaluate your plan to apply to only Florida schools. While I understand starting a family, I think this kind of self imposed limitation doesn't reflect the reality of how competitive medical school admissions are (even for osteopathic schools). My advice would be to identify a few more osteopathic medical schools to apply to. Best of luck to you.

Noted. Ammended. Thank you.

I agree with you very much. I understand that medical school admissions are very competitive but it's either Florida Md/Do at the moment due to personal reasons. I am definitely open to other options but I have to consider the family. It's a tough decision to compromise on a dream. So, with that being said I want to put my best application forward.

Noted. Ammended. Thank you.

I agree with you very much. I understand that medical school admissions are very competitive but it's either Florida Md/Do at the moment due to personal reasons. I am definitely open to other options but I have to consider the family. It's a tough decision to compromise on a dream. So, with that being said I want to put my best application forward.

You will be moving odds are extremely likely, so what is the difference in moving say 150 miles in FL vs 300 miles into another state. There are programs in AL and GA and if you are near a big city it's a ~2 hr flight home in some other states. If you seriously want to be a physician you really need to consider 60% of applicants don't make it at all so you want to reduce your small chances further by 75% plus? Also, odds are good that you will have to move for residency and maybe even move for yrs 3 & 4 rotations, so don't expect to settle down in one area.

Your scores are likely too low for most FL MD programs. As asked what is your sgpa, cgpa, bcpm gpa?

MD programs avg all grades vs. DO has grade replacement.

You'll need a 515+ MCAT to be highly competitive with a low avg gpa for MD, so I'll say it, given that is statistically unlikely (but not impossible) that leaves you with NOVA and LECOM with a 504+ MCAT, both of which get a ton (like ~10000) of strong applicants who all want to live in FL, but for a very limited number of slots.

Good Luck

You will be moving odds are extremely likely, so what is the difference in moving say 150 miles in FL vs 300 miles into another state. There are programs in AL and GA and if you are near a big city it's a ~2 hr flight home in some other states. If you seriously want to be a physician you really need to consider 60% of applicants don't make it at all so you want to reduce your small chances further by 75% plus? Also, odds are good that you will have to move for residency and maybe even move for yrs 3 & 4 rotations, so don't expect to settle down in one area.

Your scores are likely too low for most FL MD programs. As asked what is your sgpa, cgpa, bcpm gpa?

MD programs avg all grades vs. DO has grade replacement.

You'll need a 515+ MCAT to be highly competitive with a low avg gpa for MD, so I'll say it, given that is statistically unlikely (but not impossible) that leaves you with NOVA and LECOM with a 504+ MCAT, both of which get a ton (like ~10000) of strong applicants who all want to live in FL, but for a very limited number of slots.

Good Luck

Sounds like the odds are stacked against me...challenge accepted. I am definitely open to applying to schools in other states. I am currently in a program at a Georgia Medical School and I may apply here.

I am not sure what my SGPA, CGPA, or BCPM. I will have to calculate those values. Does the AAMCAS application calculate these values when you submit the application or is this something that I can do on my own? I have been to several institutions and Im aware that grades are institution based, for example a University vs Community College.

Thank you for your input! There is no harm in applying to surrounding schools and putting all the information "on the table" with the fiancé if I were to get accepted to a school outside of Florida.

They calculate the gpa for you but there is a gpa calc on sdn if you search for it. Knowing your stats can make all the difference in decision making. I love FL and have lots of family there, along with a busy practice and job but moved for med school. Sometimes the sacrifice is worth it, but it is a family decision as it will be a lifetime commitment and sacrifice.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Sounds like the odds are stacked against me...challenge accepted. I am definitely open to applying to schools in other states. I am currently in a program at a Georgia Medical School and I may apply here.

I am not sure what my SGPA, CGPA, or BCPM. I will have to calculate those values. Does the AAMCAS application calculate these values when you submit the application or is this something that I can do on my own? I have been to several institutions and Im aware that grades are institution based, for example a University vs Community College.

Thank you for your input! There is no harm in applying to surrounding schools and putting all the information "on the table" with the fiancé if I were to get accepted to a school outside of Florida.

Calculator attached. Don't separate by school, everything is lumped together. Just enter in every class you've ever had, separated into years by number of credit hours.

Attachments

• AMCAS GPA_Calculator Version 4 Final2.xls
    138.5 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: 2 users