Going Back over blocks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knope321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm an MS1 who just finished up a cardio block like 2weeks ago. I passed the test, but I didn't do super great. I also feel like there are still gaps in my knowledge or things that I'm not 100% sure about, especially physiology. For example, I still have trouble distinguishing heart sounds. I'm also a little worried that if I wasn't able to master it now, I will only have more trouble when boards come around.

Would you all recommend going back over these topics with just review resources? Continuing to do some leftover Rx questions? I have a lighter block and think I could put in a few hours throughout the week.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in dedicated now. The weaker blocks are really a struggle. For neuro (weakest) I studied only neuro for like 4 days pre-dedicated. Ill study it again during dedicated and hopefully it will become a strength. For me it takes some pressure to actually get something out of studying old material (summer/break studying has been a waste for me).

That being said if you can crank out all of the Rx questions for the topic it will probably help you feel more confident. Depends how far you are willing to go but sometimes you gotta just move on and try not to make the same mistakes in other blocks.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in dedicated now. The weaker blocks are really a struggle. For neuro (weakest) I studied only neuro for like 4 days pre-dedicated. Ill study it again during dedicated and hopefully it will become a strength. For me it takes some pressure to actually get something out of studying old material (summer/break studying has been a waste for me).

That being said if you can crank out all of the Rx questions for the topic it will probably help you feel more confident. Depends how far you are willing to go but sometimes you gotta just move on and try not to make the same mistakes in other blocks.
The struggle is real.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a first year, I wouldn’t worry too much about the gaps. Once you are introduced to Pathology on the same subject during second year, you’ll be very much surprised and how much sticks and integrates.

Using review resources during M1 to keep up with the physio will only help you. It will all make more sense when you get to path.

There is so much redundancy in preclinical years that you do not need to be worrying about this yet. My first few organ systems consisted of me memorizing a ton of BS out of context with only a vague understanding of what was going on (although I felt really on top of it), but now at the end of preclinical it's all clicking together. Organ systems will repeat stuff over and over, especially stuff like cardiac physiology and heart sounds, and you'll get plenty of practice applying this material in different contexts and making sense of it. Example: GI, renal, and neuro pathology should incorporate a fair amount of cardiac issues into its content, so you'll have time later. Just update your notes as needed.

Reactions: 1 users
Everytime i return to material two weeks after the exam.
tenor.gif

Reactions: 3 users