Going into Med school..have a residency placement Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

I am going to medical school in august and was thinking about residency placement, i know it's a little early to think about it but i was thinking of doing research in the field I like in order to get some experience. I've done cardio research in the past and think that whatever med school i end up deciding to go to i can do research there the summer before classes start. do you all think that's a good idea and that getting publications in your field tremendously help your chances of matching in a preferred field? thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Forget about research - go on a trip, go to the beach, go camping or whatever. Even if you are interested in cardiology or whatever other specialty, what you do prior to the start of MS1 year will have little, if any impact on getting a residency.

Instead, having a good clear mind, being relaxed prior to the start and doing something you wanted to do in life will enable you to approach the beginning of Med School a little better than having spent the last 2-3 months in a lab, most likely on something that may or may not come to fruition.

Most people have little to no research experience and fewer still have publications and most match into their chosen fields.

Also, many people change their mind as to which specialty to pursue - I initially thought FM, then liked CTS, then as a 3rd year could see myself in nearly all specialties and finally settled on ENT (as I thought it really had every aspect of medicine, M/F, Old/young, Surgery/Medical Mgt, Clinic/OR).

Study hard, play hard, have fun, be interested and interesting but not eccentric and you'll do fine.

Leforte

hey yeah, i definately beleive in having fun and stuff that's why i took a year off and did the stuff u talked about. but i was just wondering even if i did get published my summer before, if i could start on the research and get involved in the lab. i've done alot of traveling in my time off and plan to go to europe soon. but just wondering what u all were thinking! thanks

Leforte said:
Forget about research - go on a trip, go to the beach, go camping or whatever. Even if you are interested in cardiology or whatever other specialty, what you do prior to the start of MS1 year will have little, if any impact on getting a residency.

Instead, having a good clear mind, being relaxed prior to the start and doing something you wanted to do in life will enable you to approach the beginning of Med School a little better than having spent the last 2-3 months in a lab, most likely on something that may or may not come to fruition.

Most people have little to no research experience and fewer still have publications and most match into their chosen fields.

Also, many people change their mind as to which specialty to pursue - I initially thought FM, then liked CTS, then as a 3rd year could see myself in nearly all specialties and finally settled on ENT (as I thought it really had every aspect of medicine, M/F, Old/young, Surgery/Medical Mgt, Clinic/OR).

Study hard, play hard, have fun, be interested and interesting but not eccentric and you'll do fine.

Leforte

virilep said:
hey all,

I am going to medical school in august and was thinking about residency placement, i know it's a little early to think about it but i was thinking of doing research in the field I like in order to get some experience. I've done cardio research in the past and think that whatever med school i end up deciding to go to i can do research there the summer before classes start. do you all think that's a good idea and that getting publications in your field tremendously help your chances of matching in a preferred field? thanks for the help

I think its a shame that you are "not going to fill out secondaries" to DO schools and Meharry...Obviously you only applied to these as fallbacks, and when you got your MCAT of 29 (obviously above cutoff), you feel safer. To some of us who chose schools like this, its kind of disappointing...but, oh well. I suppose you cant win them all.

To answer your questions, if you can get published in the summer before medical school, go forth and prosper. Otherwise, I would wait until clinicals start, at which point you should seek out those who do research and adhere to them as though your symbiont self required their hydrocarbon for growth. I would wager that the latter is more likely. Good luck.

:idea: hey, I can definately see where you are coming from. I'm actually limiting the total number of schools now because of the cost. This is my second time applying and I fill out so many applications and went into the hole quite a bit. so this time i figured i'd only apply to the schools that I have a good chance at and a place where I could go. UK/UofL are my state schools which I think i have a good chance to get into now (especially cuz I was waitlisted there last year with an average MCAT score and now it's in the average) and PCOM is good cuz it's near family and KCUMB is nice because of the DO/MBA program. So anyhow, these are the reasons. it's not because the other schools are below me, because i'd be really happy to get into ANY medical school. but definately cost is an issue so I'm choosing my money wisely. (I think) especially cuz i'm a poor out of school substitute teacher. i guess that tells you enough. thnx for the advice though!

Idiopathic said:
I think its a shame that you are "not going to fill out secondaries" to DO schools and Meharry...Obviously you only applied to these as fallbacks, and when you got your MCAT of 29 (obviously above cutoff), you feel safer. To some of us who chose schools like this, its kind of disappointing...but, oh well. I suppose you cant win them all.

To answer your questions, if you can get published in the summer before medical school, go forth and prosper. Otherwise, I would wait until clinicals start, at which point you should seek out those who do research and adhere to them as though your symbiont self required their hydrocarbon for growth. I would wager that the latter is more likely. Good luck.