Going into sonography w/ back problems??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsdary

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I hope I can get some insight from this post!! I was originally pre-Optometry that had applied 2x and didn't make it in.. so I then thought about Sonography school. I got in and start in a few weeks, but the more I look into this and talk to sonographers, the more I hear about the issues w/ ergonomics. I had a spinal fusion when I was 17, have regular back pain, and have a little bit of carpal tunnel. From what I hear about sonography is that the ave. career span for an ultrasound tech is now 7 years due to work related injury! (this info was given to me at the orientation!) That scared me big time. I don't want to waste the next few years of my life, and the money if I'm not going to be able to physically handle it. Any words of advice out there??? Help!! I really love the field but am I going to regret it? Not sure what area of sonography to go in. I've GOT to make my decision this week - already got the first college bill! :confused:

Thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Try the technologist forum on Aunt Minnie...you'll almost certainly get better advice there. Most of the posters on this forum are radiologists or radiologists-to-be and have a limited knowledge of what being a tech/sonographer entails.

Best of luck. I know what it's like to have back issues, so I definitely sympathize with you.