going out on a date with a patient you've had on rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

egymed1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Already know it's not ok for doctors to date their patients, but does the same ethical principle also apply to medical students on rotations? Can't seem to find anything about this online, unless it's just that the same principles apply. Matched with a girl on tinder that i later realized i took a history and physical exam from while on family practice placement in a small town.

Members don't see this ad.

Already know it's not ok for doctors to date their patients, but does the same ethical principle also apply to medical students on rotations? Can't seem to find anything about this online, unless it's just that the same principles apply. Matched with a girl on tinder that i later realized i took a history and physical exam from while on family practice placement in a small town.

Depends on where she is at on the hot-crazy matrix.

Reactions: 28 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You already know the answer...Sucks but it is what it is.

After asking about her past on the date, are you going to move onto family history and sexual history or do you know that information already?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Met a student who had sex with one of the lab techs at the hospital we were all on rotation with.

I mean go for it.

We could see our first SDN love story. lol

a29e71ed-7ca3-41a5-a227-1a7c11839acd_text_hi.gif

Reactions: 1 users
As long as you were not treating the patient for psych issues, go for it.

Might as well let the little guy free to have some fun while you’re still a medical student

I don't know what the policy is, but it's not OK in my eyes. Yes, you're a medical student but there should be no difference in professional conduct between you and an attending. The general public hardly know the difference between a medical student and resident. Professionalism starts on day 1 of medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not really sure why you even asked this question, I think you know the answer.

Too late. There have been several SDN love stories and even marriage and babies to date.

Where's my love story Winged?

You know how much of a crush I've had on you and even though there's an age gap... AGE IS JUST A NUMBER.

We could have been something amazing.

You and me against the world.

<3 <3 <3

Why be a queen when you are a true GODDESS amongst mortals?

;)

For someone with as many terms of service violations as you, I wouldn’t be faulted for thinking your endearments are an attempt to curry favor with me.

It’s working, but I’m just saying…

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
For someone with as many terms of service violations as you, I wouldn’t be faulted for thinking you’re endearments or an attempt to curry favor with me.

It’s working, but I’m just saying…

That's totally fair.

But many of those service violations are because I said what I felt was necessary.

And it's necessary for me to reiterate the fact that genius, bright, powerful women like yourself are God's gift to Earth and I'll be damned if I didn't shoot my shot with you.

Forever in my heart Winged...

Forever in my heart.

<3

Reactions: 4 users
No, of course not. Don’t even consider it. Dating patients and using drugs are like the top two ways to lose your license or opportunity to get one forever. Everyone else in the hospital or office or whole world is fair game except your subordinates and superiors, though. Plenty of fish.

Reactions: 3 users
This is highly unethical in the field of psychology because of the nature of your relationship. That is, you are in an authoratative position relative to the patient. This disturbs relationship dynamics, placing the patient at a disadvantage, and thus never suggested.

7.07 Sexual Relationships with Students and Supervisees
Psychologists do not engage in sexual relationships with students or supervisees who are in their department, agency, or training center or over whom psychologists have or are likely to have evaluative authority. (See also Standard 3.05, Multiple Relationships.)

No, of course not. Don’t even consider it. Dating patients and using drugs are like the top two ways to lose your license or opportunity to get one forever. Everyone else in the hospital or office or whole world is fair game except your subordinates and superiors, though. Plenty of fish.
so if subordinates are off, that literally means everyone in an office setting except physician partners who are mostly married in the first place. Basically the same thing in the hospital. Sorry I don't buy this, date who you guys want, just set appropriate boundaries. I don't think there is a problem with dating a person you met as a student during a well visit. Especially if the date came from another source other than the well visit.

We are physicians, not monks. The advice in this thread is how people (women especially) end up 38 years old and single working as a hospitalist while their fertility is declining exponentially. I can understand not dating a psychiatry patient etc, but saying not to date coworkers is just cutting off a huge amount of people. According to an eHarmony study "nearly 22 percent met through work" One-third of married couples in U.S. meet online: study. There are some high quality people in healthcare, and I would never pass up someone I was interested in just because some organization said they thought it was 'unethical' for me to do it.

There are some high quality people in healthcare, and I would never pass up someone I was interested in just because some organization said they thought it was 'unethical' for me to do it.

Although we're not "monks", society has placed in us a level of trust that needs to be respected. If you lose that trust for whatever reason, your medical license will be in jeopardy.

Besides, a relationship with that perfect someone can go sour...no better way to get back at your ex than turning them in to the medical board or the hospital ethics committee for an inappropriate relationship. Or you can piss someone off and they will turn you in as revenge.

Is her body unique?
Is her booty on fleek?
Is she jhenne aiko?
Is she really real?

I mean ethically I would not do it but if she doesn't know you were her patient and she's hot I'd consider it. If she knows you were "treating" her and you are not into her like that then it is not worth the hassle.

Very clear distinction in here between those with an ethical, moral, and professional compass versus those without one.

This is a very clear situation; you have a professional responsibility as a medical student/resident/attending to avoid these situations. There is no grey area.

so if subordinates are off, that literally means everyone in an office setting except physician partners who are mostly married in the first place. Basically the same thing in the hospital.
Of course, people can date who they want, but that doesn't mean their choice is good or proper. There are plenty of places to meet "high quality people" outside of the office/hospital. Don't eat where you ****.

We are physicians, not monks.
No one has made any comment suggesting that. There is no vow of celibacy or isolation being suggested here. The idea is simple to avoid dating patients and subordinates. If that's your entire life then things need some adjustment to broaden your social sphere because this wouldn't justify dating patients or subordinates.

The advice in this thread is how people (women especially) end up 38 years old and single working as a hospitalist while their fertility is declining exponentially.
The advice in the thread to how people avoid making dumb decisions that compromise a patient or a subordinate (or one's own career). No one ends up 38 years old and single because they decided they simply wouldn't date patients or a subordinate... more to the picture than that.

There are some high quality people in healthcare, and I would never pass up someone I was interested in just because some organization said they thought it was 'unethical' for me to do it.
Moral and ethical relativism is a ploy people use to justify their actions which are based on feelings and impulses.

What a stupid question.

How people like OP get into medical school is beyond me.

It just boggles my mind sometimes...

Of course, people can date who they want, but that doesn't mean their choice is good or proper. There are plenty of places to meet "high quality people" outside of the office/hospital. Don't eat where you ****.

No one has made any comment suggesting that. There is no vow of celibacy or isolation being suggested here. The idea is simple to avoid dating patients and subordinates. If that's your entire life then things need some adjustment to broaden your social sphere because this wouldn't justify dating patients or subordinates.

The advice in the thread to how people avoid making dumb decisions that compromise a patient or a subordinate (or one's own career). No one ends up 38 years old and single because they decided they simply wouldn't date patients or a subordinate... more to the picture than that.

Moral and ethical relativism is a ploy people use to justify their actions which are based on feelings and impulses.
So lets talk relativism and ethics. Surely if he matched a nurse on some dating app who he had never met before, and didn't work with, you would have no problem with him dating that person correct? You might even call it a good catch.

Do you know the difference between that and dating a nurse you met in person? One of them you have actually met. This may come as a surprise, but you tend to know people better when you talk to and observe them for a while, especially in an environment they cannot control.

I think the problem might be the fact that people act like "****" in the first place. Maybe if people knew each other in person, and were decent to each other, instead of just hooking up on apps, they might have a better chance of success in resolving even the dicey situations of breakups. If ONLY there was a high stress environment where I could see how a potential significant other performed under pressure, so I could know that they handle bad situations well. I could know that they don't just flip their '****' on the slightest whim and do things like try to destroy others lifes through board complaints.

I tell you what though, you guys have convinced me, if you are really worried about how a potential ex will treat you, your probably right. Don't trust judgement that you don't have. Stick to apps and swiping right. Thats much safer., and much more ethical.

Don't do it, my friend. You are thinking about a date and she is probably thinking about a marriage/ kids. You are a great catch and chances are she will bring more trouble than happiness

Oh come on, you don’t have to date your patients to get married and have a family and avoid the sad bitter fate of a spinster. I tell you from experience. And no one said you can’t date a nurse or other colleague. You probably shouldn’t hit on your own employees - too much harassment potential.

I guess it's not as bad as an attending marrying a former 3rd year that rotated with him. But still... take them med school goggles off please.

How about having a sexual relationship with a nurse if you are a resident?

Some of these nurses are BADDDIIEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Trussss me daddy.

But I was always told they'll make your life hell if you sex one of 'em down and I don't wanna go out like that.

Nurses are always on the prowl for young docs. :(

I have my eyes set on one woman and one woman only... my sugar momma... my queen... my world....

*cough* @Winged Scapula *cough*

Last edited:
Some of these nurses are BADDDIIEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Trussss me daddy.

But I was always told they'll make your life hell if you sex one of 'em down and I don't wanna go out like that.

Nurses are always on the prowl for young docs. :(

I have my eyes set on one woman and one woman only... my sugar momma... my queen... my world....

*cough* @Winged Scapula *cough*
Bruh, I gotta admit when a queen dreams of another queen, I don't even know if you are a female, male or none of that maybe, but I won't be surprised with either. I've seen a mom who became a man and then dated her/his son who became a girl. They later adopted a cat who was girls father but chose to identify as a cat. Persian cat. I've seen some stuff man.

Bruh, I gotta admit when a queen dreams of another queen, I don't even know if you are a female, male or none of that maybe, but I won't be surprised with either. I've seen a mom who became a man and then dated her/his son who became a girl. They later adopted a cat who was girls father but chose to identify as a cat. Persian cat. I've seen some stuff man.

Whatever you are on...

I'll take double.

Let's get trippy mane!

While some would way it's not recommended (the concept of "don't **** where you eat"), it's not uncommon, and certainly does not have the same ethical issues as a resident with a patient OR a resident with a medical student on their service.

Nurses are essentially your co-workers, not your subordinates (at least in this day and age), so as a resident it's fine, with the caveats of dating your co-workers (if things end badly, etc. etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.