Going over to industry as FMG/IMG with PhD in the US - only option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chelewn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I finished medical school in the UK 3 years ago and am now doing a PhD at a Harvard in the US. I'm on an F1 visa and finishing my second year.
I've always wanted to live in the US long-term, more so than in any other place.

During my Ph.D., I developed a strong love for data science/computer science and have become very proficient in coding.

My advisor suggests I apply for residency (I'm in Orthopedic surgery) in the US. Most top residencies don't take international doctors and prefer US citizens; if they do, they only offer J1 visas. Still, I think I have several disadvantages: I'm an international doctor, have yet to take the US medical licensing step exams (can be done in 6-9 months), & didn't get to do a sub-I/clinical elective while I was a medical student, which is often the minimum requirement for a succesful application.

I do have my Ph.D. to possibly up-weigh some of that, but I don't think it's enough to secure a residency spot at a top 20 institution, even if my advisors (who are orthopedic surgeons) vouch for me (again, no sub I, international doctor, etc.).

As an alternative, now that I'm good at coding and will be getting a related Ph.D. (not in computer science but relatively close), I thought I could get into some tech company and possibly work with software and ideally also apply some of my clinical knowledge. What do you think about that? Going into the industry would probably advance me to hb1 and then green card (not very easy from J1 during residency)

The thing is that I need to decide what to do soon. If I go on the residency path, I need to start studying for USMLE (my Ph.D. is done in 2 years, and thus need to apply for residency already in a year if I decide on doing that). Moreover, if that isn't feasible, the time would be better spent studying CS / doing coding projects. I can't juggle both and need to choose one. I'm scared residency at a top institution is unlikely, whereas with my Ph.D., if I work hard enough, I can probably land a relatively good industry job.

Curious to hear what you think

Members don't see this ad.

but I don't think it's enough to secure a residency spot at a top 20 institution
Ortho would probably be an uphill battle at any institution let alone top 20. Only 12 FMG/IMG matched ortho in 2020

Chances are best at IM and FM in rural areas known to take FMG/IMG. AFAIK, you would have to do this somewhat soon as graduates who have been out for longer have lower chances to match.

As for your other question, most major tech companies have put a freeze on hiring. Not sure when this will change, but it looks like the federal reserve isn’t going to stop hiking anytime soon (and therefore tech company stocks will continue to fall). This will be a good option once they start hiring again

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You graduated from an international medical school 3 years ago, haven't been doing clinical work since, and wouldn't be ready to apply for 1-2 years. Your chances of matching into any US residency - of any specialty - is essentially zero.

I'm not sure which advisor is giving you advice (PhD advisor?) but you can also meet with the Harvard medical school advisors for more specific advice.

I think you need a back-up plan, because I'm not sure how realistic your other plan (get a tech job without prior work experience or a CS degree, but as an "amateur" coder) is, either.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're in boston; there are so many industry jobs that fit the skillset that you've described. You're probably a shoe in for like a senior/staff/senior staff data science jobs in pharma/biotech that would pay like 150-350k a year although we'll see how the job market holds up as all the (vc) money dries up.

talking to your advisors who you know aren't gonna sugar coat it is probably best on the residency side but not having been in clinic for several years is pretty sus

Reactions: 1 user
You can also consider applying for positions with consulting agencies. While your chances of getting into a competitive residency may be harder than others, you do have a very unique skillset and background. As we've seen over the past few years, the world is changing at an ever increasing rate and there have been countless new opportunities that otherwise wouldn't exist today without the changes we've experienced. You're in Boston, a major area of new ideas, commerce, and industry. Get a LinkedIn profile and work on making connections with others in the area as well as Austin, Houston, Los Angeles, San Diego, Atlanta, San Francisco, Seattle, London, and other metro cities. You are bound to find an opportunity in industry or consulting somewhere.

Your PhD can certainly help as I assume you have a lot of publications. But yes if you want to go the residency route, you need to do well on your USMLE 1/2/3, get some clinical experience/letters, and then apply broadly/strategically. Orthopedic surgery will be very difficult (but nothing is impossible, especially if you have a strong research background).

Otherwise yeah I'm sure you can find a great industry position with your qualifications.

You graduated from an international medical school 3 years ago, haven't been doing clinical work since, and wouldn't be ready to apply for 1-2 years. Your chances of matching into any US residency - of any specialty - is essentially zero.

I'm not sure which advisor is giving you advice (PhD advisor?) but you can also meet with the Harvard medical school advisors for more specific advice.

I think you need a back-up plan, because I'm not sure how realistic your other plan (get a tech job without prior work experience or a CS degree, but as an "amateur" coder) is, either.

This is not true at all. I've known many in this same position who have matched successfully. It just depends on many factors and is an uphill battle.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a little bit of insight in this. I work with startup tech companies in my field (urogynecology) and I can say that at least from a startup standpoint the market is red hot. A medical doctor with a PhD (especially from Harvard) in data science is absolutely a hot ticket. 2 of the companies I work with just hired CTO and CMO, you could conceivably be both. One of them just hired a kid right of out of college to do their software architecture. These are not google or Amazon, but they have high valuations and will likely get bought out in next 5 years for a nice sum of “f-u” money for the core group of employees.

Unless you breathe and live medicine and hate the idea of not taking care of patients ever again. I would pursue the tech aspect. You might even want to look at VC firms as an analyst in health tech. Could also look at doing an informatics fellowship ( I am not sure what visa or prior training requirements are for this) but with that you could look at being a chief medical information officer.

I am personally considering all of these options for myself and it is a much better life and income than being an MD in this country.

Bro…

You are a medical doctor, soon to be PHD in a computer science related field….

Go to industry and never look back. You’re going to do more for society that way than to change out 100 shoulders or knees a year. You’ll likely earn more as well.