Going to call admissions...what do I say?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSD1984

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've decided to start an informal post-bacc. program to raise my awful 2.76 GPA. My number one dental school choice would be University of the Pacific, followed by USC, Western, and UCSF. I'd love to stay in Cali (close to family).

Alright, so...I've been advised to contact admissions and simply talk to them about my situation. Question is...what do I say?? I want to call UoP but I get the jitters every time I think about it. How do I explain my situation? Do I ask what classes they recommend I take during my post-bacc. year? Are there counselors/deans I can keep in contact with at the school during my post-bacc. process to keep them informed of how well I'm doing, etc? ANY advice you can offer me is greatly appreciated.

My main goal is to show them that I'm absolutely infatuated with the idea of getting into Dental school (UoP's, specifically). Thank you so much for your time...

Members don't see this ad.

So I've decided to start an informal post-bacc. program to raise my awful 2.76 GPA. My number one dental school choice would be University of the Pacific, followed by USC, Western, and UCSF. I'd love to stay in Cali (close to family).

Alright, so...I've been advised to contact admissions and simply talk to them about my situation. Question is...what do I say?? I want to call UoP but I get the jitters every time I think about it. How do I explain my situation? Do I ask what classes they recommend I take during my post-bacc. year? Are there counselors/deans I can keep in contact with at the school during my post-bacc. process to keep them informed of how well I'm doing, etc? ANY advice you can offer me is greatly appreciated.

My main goal is to show them that I'm absolutely infatuated with the idea of getting into Dental school (UoP's, specifically). Thank you so much for your time...

"Hello, My name is [first name], I am interested in your school and I was hoping I can set up an appointment with one of your admission advisors preferably in-person or over the phone"

When you get in touch with an admiss advisor, they have probably dealt with thousands of students like yourself (low GPAs, older, and want dentistry).... They'll pull the information out of you.

I know what you mean, b/c I hesitated about a month to even talk about my bad situation. You just gotta do it and say you are interested in school and what should be proper steps to take to become an competitive applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, I'll call tomorrow. I'm sweatin' bullets just thinking about it. I can't help but feel I'm never going to get accepted no matter what I do =/

"Hello, My name is [first name], I am interested in your school and I was hoping I can set up an appointment with one of your admission advisors preferably in-person or over the phone"

When you get in touch with an admiss advisor, they have probably dealt with thousands of students like yourself (low GPAs, older, and want dentistry).... They'll pull the information out of you.

P.S. I love it when you reply to posts, DentalWorks. You're always logically reassuring =)

P.P.S. Game of Thrones is amazing.

Just get up the courage and call them. If you don't call them you are only going to be in a worse situation. Your GPA isn't going to get higher, so you only chance is to somehow get a foot in the door and get them to know you as a person rather than a number.

P.S. I love it when you reply to posts, DentalWorks. You're always logically reassuring =)

P.P.S. Game of Thrones is amazing.

I honestly believe its the best show HBO has come up with so far... They've already decided to make season 2 (decision was made 48 hours after premier)

Lets just hope they don't end it like their other fantastic shows after 2nd season. I've already sent them 2 emails. Both cussing them out for ending Rome and Carnivale after season 2.

I honestly believe its the best show HBO has come up with so far... They've already decided to make season 2 (decision was made 48 hours after premier)

Lets just hope they don't end it like their other fantastic shows after 2nd season. I've already sent them 2 emails. Both cussing them out for ending Rome and Carnivale after season 2.

I agree, it's a phenomenal show. I didn't know they had already made the decision to continue the series. Not sure if you've read the books, but it's actually composed of 5 in the series, with 2 more being released (the 6th being released in June of this year). They should continue it until the end if you ask me. That's assuming that they continue to work towards quality rather than main-streaming it for quantity. I have all the episodes downloaded in HD. I've probably seen each episode around 5 times each, haha...

I agree, it's a phenomenal show. I didn't know they had already made the decision to continue the series. Not sure if you've read the books, but it's actually composed of 5 in the series, with 2 more being released (the 6th being released in June of this year). They should continue it until the end if you ask me. That's assuming that they continue to work towards quality rather than main-streaming it for quantity. I have all the episodes downloaded in HD. I've probably seen each episode around 5 times each, haha...

I haven't read the books (yet)... but Plan on reading the first one after this season is done.

My underestanding is, HBO is focusing on the first book (only).

Meeting with the admissions office at UOP was THE MOST HELPFUL experience during my time as a pre-dent.

After you set up a time to meet, make sure to bring anything and everything you've done: transcripts, resumes, volunteer hours, etc.

Lay it all out and ask them what you need to work on or improve in order to become a more competitive applicant. Remember, the more critical the better! It may suck to hear how bad your grades are or how you need to improve certain areas of your application (I know it made me feel horrible) but take it all in and let that information kick your butt into overdrive.

Do what they tell you and when you complete something, follow up with an email.

Everyone in that office is SUPER friendly and totally willing to help.

Meeting with the admissions office at UOP was THE MOST HELPFUL experience during my time as a pre-dent.

After you set up a time to meet, make sure to bring anything and everything you've done: transcripts, resumes, volunteer hours, etc.

Lay it all out and ask them what you need to work on or improve in order to become a more competitive applicant. Remember, the more critical the better! It may suck to hear how bad your grades are or how you need to improve certain areas of your application (I know it made me feel horrible) but take it all in and let that information kick your butt into overdrive.

UBER, thanks again for your response. Did you drive/fly out there just to talk to admissions, or did you already live in the area? I live down in San Diego so I'm not sure if I could make a trip all the way up there just to talk to them...

UBERlowGPA is such an attractive applicant, even podiatry schools are begging him to enroll

UBERlowGPA is such an attractive applicant, even podiatry schools are begging him to enroll

LOL!

I love it.

@UCSD: I'm somewhat from the area, so I just called, set up an appt, and then drove there. I don't know if your school has a pre-dent club, but if you do, you could also try and get them to send a representative to present to your members. If you get that set up, email that rep (it'll probably be Stan), and set up a one-on-one with him after his presentation. Yet another option is to apply to their pre-dental simulation day. If accepted, you can try and set up a meeting that day, thus killing two birds with one stone (sim course and advisor meeting).

LOL!

I love it.

@UCSD: I'm somewhat from the area, so I just called, set up an appt, and then drove there. I don't know if your school has a pre-dent club, but if you do, you could also try and get them to send a representative to present to your members. If you get that set up, email that rep (it'll probably be Stan), and set up a one-on-one with him after his presentation. Yet another option is to apply to their pre-dental simulation day. If accepted, you can try and set up a meeting that day, thus killing two birds with one stone (sim course and advisor meeting).

Very cool. UCSD does have a Pre-Dental Society, but I'm not sure if I can take part in it since I already graduated. I'm going to go in and find out next week. What exactly is a pre-dental simulation day, by the way?

P.S. I'm not sure if you've been getting my PMs, Uber. I've gotten both of yours, and I've replied 3 times...yet my outbox still says "0 sent messages". I also received an email alert stating that you responded to me yet again, but I see no new messages in my inbox. TOTALLY confused right now. I'm guessing the site is just acting a bit wacky? I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you or taking too long to reply!

Why can't Texas dental admissions offices be SUPER friendly????? They were of no sell to me... Run around galor, not to mention the school I'm attending now, I could have transferred at my 2 year mark with the DDS transfer program but noooo!!! My academic counselor gave me a list of freshman undergrad classes and after that could NEVER get an appointment with him thereafter.... So I had to pull the pre-reqs from perspective dental programs and take all of the classes from my top pics if schools. So 76 credits later and shaggin 6 years later and like idontknowhow many actual semesters later... I'm just now getting to apply for the first time. Hopefully I will get in and wint have to apply again...

Hey UCSD,

If you could be so kind to post how the call went, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Hey UCSD,

If you could be so kind to post how the call went, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Hey jntm46, I'd be more than happy to! If I don't speak to them this week, I will for sure at the beginning of next week. I'll post a separate thread on it in these same forums explaining how it all went.

Hey jntm46, I'd be more than happy to! If I don't speak to them this week, I will for sure at the beginning of next week. I'll post a separate thread on it in these same forums explaining how it all went.

Please do! It'd be such a help to all of us going through the same thing. :)

I hate to be biased, but goodness gracious, I agree. UoP admissions/people/faculty are the most friendliest/happiest people I have ever met on the "interview" road. There must be something in the SF water system!:laugh:

Please do! It'd be such a help to all of us going through the same thing. :)

It'll be the second thing on my "to-do" list when I get off the phone with them. The first being taking a shower to clean off all the sweat, of course.