going to grad school in same place as an undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych1012

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do people think about going to the same place for grad school as undergrad, even if you are working with totally different people and in fact a top mentor/scholar in the field?

Members don't see this ad.

psych1012 said:
What do people think about going to the same place for grad school as undergrad, even if you are working with totally different people and in fact a top mentor/scholar in the field?

Unless you have a personal reason to stay in the area, I still think it's a bad idea. As a grad student, you not only work with a specific mentor, but you are a member of an intellectual environment. And if you remain in the same department, you're missing out on the opportunity to be exposed to a DIFFERENT intellectual environment.

From personal experience, a shift from one department to another can be a great way to gain exposure to new ideas, new ways of thinking about the same scientific questions, etc. Also, every department has its strengths and weaknesses - by switching departments, you have the opportunity to take advantage of expertise that may not have been available in the first department. I think you'd be limiting yourself by staying, but that is just one person's opinion.

In my experience, 1/3 to 1/2 of new students has undergrad ties to the institution. I also second changing schools but if you feel the mentor is worth it then stay where you are. I did my MA and PhD in different institutions...

Members don't see this ad :)
lazure said:
In my experience, 1/3 to 1/2 of new students has undergrad ties to the institution.

This hasn't been my experience at all. A lot of programs have rules against taking their own students (although most programs seem to break that rule once in a long while). I agree with previous comments about the importance of getting diversity in your training. On the other hand, if it's a really great research match, I wouldn't stop yourself from applying-- if you get in, you can alway weigh the costs and benefits of staying put vs. attending somewhere else.

psychanon said:
This hasn't been my experience at all. A lot of programs have rules against taking their own students (although most programs seem to break that rule once in a long while). I agree with previous comments about the importance of getting diversity in your training. On the other hand, if it's a really great research match, I wouldn't stop yourself from applying-- if you get in, you can alway weigh the costs and benefits of staying put vs. attending somewhere else.
Yes, and most clinical programs have "rules" against backdoor entry yet many people get in that way :)

I think generally programs are reluctant to take students who went there during undergrad. Mainly for the reason that they feel you should get two different perspectives. But it happens. But lets face it, how much did you really get from your undergrad training, I had no idea whhat my undergrads institutions ways of looking at things were.

lazure said:
Yes, and most clinical programs have "rules" against backdoor entry yet many people get in that way :)

What is backdoor entry?

In my program, the 1/3 to 1/2 statistic is completely false. Out of 12 students, there was only 1 from the undergrad school and in the past 4 years there hadn't been any others.

SaraL124 said:
What is backdoor entry?

Well, in psychology as opposed to the adult film industry, it means getting into a school for a experimental program for example (or social, or cog. , etc.) which have more relaxed entry requirements and then transefering into the clinical program.

It seems to me to be one of those clinical psych urban legends. I'm sure it happens but it is difficult. And schools certainly want to discourage the practice.

SaraL124 said:
In my program, the 1/3 to 1/2 statistic is completely false. Out of 12 students, there was only 1 from the undergrad school and in the past 4 years there hadn't been any others.

Yeah, not so true in my program either. I've heard they haven't taken anyone who went here for undergrad in something like 20 years. They want to prevent faculty from being biased and taking their own RAs, when there may be better candidates out there. But then, the undergrad program here sucks-- there may be a different pattern at better undergraduate institutions.

lazure said:
In my experience, 1/3 to 1/2 of new students has undergrad ties to the institution. I also second changing schools but if you feel the mentor is worth it then stay where you are. I did my MA and PhD in different institutions...

This is the case in my program as well. Personally, I think it detracts a bit from the intellectual environment... The student body is not very diverse in terms of their academic backgrounds.