Quantcast

Going To Manipal - KMC

Application is now open for MD & PhD 2022 Intake
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssmvv01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a US citizen planning to go KMC, Manipal in Jun 2009. Completing my high school from sacramento, USA by end of May'2009. accepted in UC, Irvine for under graduate admission. Not yet decided to go for it or not.
I am applying for an admission in MBBS as NRI. I am looking for the following information:

1. Is the KMC, Manipal recognised?
2. How is the standard of the institute?
3. How is hostel facilities?
4. Doing MBBS from India would save 2 years, would it be worth?
5. After completing MBBS from KMC, Manipal. I would like to do Internship in US.
6. After competing MBBS from KMC, Manipal. Do I need to complete USMLE first or have to apply for the residency.

Can someone please explain me what is the process to become a doctor in USA( what I need to study, major, mcat etc)?

What is the process to become a doctor, If I want to do MBBS from KMC, manipal and then come to US?

I am really confused not very clear. Please help me.

Thanks.

ORELL

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, i am going to manipal this summer to study medicine. its a very good university and my husband studied there. Now ill be going there to study medicine. already accepted in the program

indianink

Reaction score
Hi,

First try to do ur doctor degree in U.S itself, in my opinion manipal is a good institute, but there are many other institutes which offer you a greater value than manipal, like Sri Ramachandra University in chennai, try getting an NRI Seat, it has good recognisation worldwide, or you can try NRI Seat in Annamalai University, Christian Medical College-vellore or St. John's Medical College-Bangalore, Look these are all private medical colleges i am listing, you can try NRI Seats in these colleges in addition to KIMS- Manipal.....

Thanks

airwayman

Reaction score
I'm a graduate of KMC, Manipal. Went there after I completed 2 yrs of pre-med at NYU. Although I was successful in passing all of my exams and becoming an Anesthesiologist, there were several of my classmates who gave up after repeatedly failing the FMGEMS. Hate to break the news, but you really don't save any years going to India to study medicine. By the time you factor in the preparation of the US exams (assuming you pass on the first attempt) do internship in India, you really are behind in the game. As a "Foreign Graduate" even if you were born and raised in the US, you will still be labeled a Foreign Medical Graduate. You will face limitations to the type of Residencies you will be able to get and often will need to settle for an undesirable program. If you want the truth this is it. My advice: Study hard and get into an American Medical School. Back up plan should be an Osteopathic School and get a D.O.

Good Luck, from a Manipal graduate class of 1990.

drmansi

Reaction score
id agree with airwayman .. i recently graduated from kmc manipal and will be applying for residency .. since u need to graduate before you apply for residency as a Foreign graduate compared to applying in 4th year US medical student ..u do end up losing one year and you are slightly at a disadvantage compared to US grads despite being a citizen and having good scores

so if you think you can get into a US medical school .. thats a better option from residency point of view

that bein said .. if you do well at kmc , get good score on USMLE step 1 during MBBS , u can easily get permission from school to do internship in US as many of my nri batchmates did but I believe you will have to arrange these on your own .. which gives you the chance of US lOR you have an excellent chance of securing a good residency spot .

i believe NYU or sum other university in NY has a program fr citizens/PR to do their complete internship if they have not done any internship in INDIA

Hope thts helpful

drmansi

Reaction score
to further clarify the process of rsidency after mbbs

1. MBBS is 4.5 yr
(4th yr typically ends january/february in kmc)

2. give USMLE STEP 1 ( ideally before end of 4th year IF you would like to do internship/rotations in US as many schools like to see the step 1 score when you apply for these )

3. Internship 1 yr ( starts march - can be done partly/completely in US)

4. USMLE STEP 2 CK & STEP 2 CS ( plan to give during or soon after internship )

5. once you have compted the above exams you are issued ECFMG certificate and fully eligible to apply ( ideal situation again , you can apply with only step 1 also)

6. residency application begins september every year for the residency that starts NEXT year

eg: to begin in 2010 one needs to have all scores( atleast usmle step 1 and the remaining by oct/nov 09) and finished internship and apply by september 2009 ..

then you begin to get interviews typically oct to jan . finaly find out where you get a spot in march 2010 (called MATCH DAY ) and begin residency in july 2010