Gold Standard MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

docintheory

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone,

I am currently rooting through all these MCAT books on Amazon and have come across a book called "The Gold Standard MCAT" by Brett Ferdinand. Along with the book are these separate subject cd-rom computer lectures like Organic Chem, Gen Chem, etc. selling at a price of $99.95. The prices sound pretty ridiculous for just each section... I am just wondering has anyone used these books or CD-Roms? and how well are they? and are they worth it? I've been using a mix of old 2003 Princeton Review and Exam Krackers... are there any other books people can recommend? I am trying to stress more practice questions than knowledge, cause I think I spent too much time studying material. Thanks for any help at all! Good luck to all 🙂
 
Hey,

This is something funny...the guy who sells the tapes auctions the stuff off on ebay. You can pick up ALL the videos from his website + All his books(silver bullet, gold standard) and all the old MCATs on his website for as low as 250 on ebay auctions. I payed 260. WELL worth it! Very detailed! This guy knows what he is doing.

I LOVED the CDs. They were awsome. He does this professor style teaching. Its like having a kaplan course you can rewind.
 
i have my doubts about this Cd roms.....

MCAT Biology - CD1 - Introduction 3:32 min Free
MCAT Biology - CD1 - The Eukaryotic Cell 0:56 min Free
MCAT Biology - CD1 - Plasma Membrane 14:19 min $12.00
MCAT Biology - CD1 - The Cell's Interior 10:25 min $8.00
MCAT Biology - CD1 - DNA 5:42 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD1 - The Cell Cycle 6:46 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD1 - Protein Synthesis 10:42 min $8.00
MCAT Biology - CD2 - Viruses 2:55 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD2 - Prokaryotes vs. Eukaryotes 3:24 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD2 - Bioenergetics 15:31 min $12.00
MCAT Biology - CD2 - The Neuron 8:27 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD2 - The Nervous System 5:55 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD2 - The Endocrine System I 17:40 min $18.00
MCAT Biology - CD2 - The Endocrine System II 3:57 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD3 - The Menstrual Cycle 13:16 min $8.00
MCAT Biology - CD3 - The Circulatory System 13:11 min $8.00
MCAT Biology - CD3 - Blood Composition 6:13 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD3 - Lymphatic and Immune Systems 10:58 min $8.00
MCAT Biology - CD3 - The Digestive System I 6:32 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD3 - The Digestive System II 8:27 min $8.00
MCAT Biology - CD4 - The Excretory System I 3:30 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD4 - The Excretory System II 6:10 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD4 - Gametogenesis (Meiosis) 11:30 min $8.00
MCAT Biology - CD4 - Genetics I 5:17 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD4 - Genetics II 2:59 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD4 - Genetics III 10:26 min $8.00
MCAT Biology - CD4 - Genetics IV 10:19 min $8.00
MCAT Biology - CD4 - Genetics V 8:18 min

I think for this topics need to add more time, don't you think??? 😕 :scared:
 
I concur that they need more topics. But you should see these CDs....they cover those topics very well. I own the CDs and all the matrial. It came with the books I ordered through e-bay. WELL worth it for $250 as a whole package.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Take it from someone who actually OWNS it instead of talking outa someone who is talking outa their backside 🙂 It is a GOOD review course! Don't buy it on Amazon.com, look on ebay. It is a VERY popular book at cornell.
 
Just see the free video and you will see....It is imposible to explain a topic in just 6 min or 10min.... 😕 😡 So don't be fool man....Buy somethinG popular and not that piace of ****tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!! 😳
 
Dude it is not meant to be an all encompassing video series. The CDs are not what you paying for alone. It is a combo of things and they all intertwine. The lectures come together with the book which goes along with the tests. It is a VERY sophisticated learning system.

Seriously ask anyone who has either taken the gold standard course or owns a copy of the book/videos and they will sing its praises.
 
Hey there,

The Gold Standard is pretty popular with Canadian premeds. I have never seen or even heard of the CD-roms so can't comment on those but I did use the book when preparing for writing the MCAT this past August. It's quite good although I have to admit that I found the organization of Kaplan's comprehensive review a bit more to my liking. These two materials are almost identical, although sometimes crosschecking allowed me to learn a tidbit that was in 1 book but not the other.

If you aren't willing to pay out your @rse for a course but benefit from mixed media learning, the CDs may be a good investment. Even if they don't cover *all* the details for each section, they may help you internalize a lot of the key concepts and this will serve you well on the MCAT.

Cheers,
thatuvicguy