Golden Number for Volunteering Hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sortie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm aiming for my 100 hours of shadowing (The so-called "Golden Number") across a range of dental specialties and general dentistry; however, is there a Golden Number for volunteering? The impression I'm getting is that most applicants have 2-3 times more volunteering hours than they do shadowing hours. If I had to take a shot in the dark, I would aim for 300 volunteering hours. Would this be enough? Thanks in advance, I've been looking through the threads but didn't find an agreed upon number for volunteering hours.

Members don't see this ad.

It's less about amount and more about the breadth that you were involved in a volunteering experience.

What do you believe is more important, spending one week volunteering at a soup kitchen for 40 hours or spending 40 hours over three months volunteering with a local animal shelter?

Pick your battles, however, always remember that consistency is key.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's less about amount and more about the breadth that you were involved in a volunteering experience.

What do you believe is more important, spending one week volunteering at a soup kitchen for 40 hours or spending 40 hours over three months volunteering with a local animal shelter?

Pick your battles, however, always remember that consistency is key.
Definitely makes sense, and my intention has not been to put volunteering on the side so that last minute I would do the former of what you are saying. I'm in the summer before my sophomore year in undergrad, so I'll be sure to spread volunteering activities out.

Reactions: 1 user
^ I agree. You really can't compare shadowing and volunteering. For shadowing, they are looking for a number. For volunteering, they are looking for a pattern that shows you are dedicated to serving others.

Definitely makes sense, and my intention has not been to put volunteering on the side so that last minute I would do the former of what you are saying. I'm in the summer before my sophomore year in undergrad, so I'll be sure to spread volunteering activities out.
Great.. if you can, try choosing a position that offers upward growth, i.e. volunteer -> local organizer -> chapter president, etc..

It's quality versus quantity; what each experience taught you.

Reactions: 1 user