Goldwater Scholarship for MD Only

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoMan1516

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Ik there is a very similar thread to this question, but I saw that it was from over 10 years ago, so I wanted to ask again in case anything has changed.

I was wondering how it would look for MD only applications (albeit to research focused schools) if you have a goldwater scholarship. At the time of applying for the scholarship, I genuinely wanted to do MD/PhD with a focus on translational research, but my career interests have shifted and I think MD only would be best for me. Would it reflect poorly on me that I have a goldwater and now am abandoning the PhD part?

Please let me know your thoughts–I apologize if this is a naive question. Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Young people, including pre-meds, change their minds. Adcoms know this and accept it. You may be asked in interviews about your change of heart. However, if you have good reasons why you want to pursue clinical medicine, as opposed to research, this should be a non-issue.

Honestly, it would look worse for the Goldwater Fellowship that you decided to scrap the PhD, but there's nothing they can do about it.

In spite of the questions from over a decade ago, I haven't observed research-focused schools react to the Goldwater with as much enthusiasm as general adcoms to Peace Corps or Americorps. PhD committees of course, but not MDs.

I mean, just how high up the pole are you trying to climb? I'm imagining that with a Goldwater you must have been quite a strong applicant; if you have the rest of your ducks in a row you'll still have a shot at top schools. I'd imagine that it would be a slight benefit (over no Goldwater at all). As far as not wanting to do a PhD anymore, that doesn't seem like it would be an issue except maybe at the likes of Harvard or Hopkins, and there it would be a minor one. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I certainly believe anyone with an international prestigious scholarship has had unique opportunities for leadership in their field.

Maybe this is really nothing to worry about. With the Scholarship, you clearly show a strong mastery in scientific and academic competency. Again, you going to med school is an issue with Goldwater, not you.

Do your homework and pick schools that may appeal to you with research opportunities to complement any residency interests. If you want a research year anyway, you have a lot of schools to choose from. If you haven't done so, check out the CCLCM program or Mayo which seems to be very research focused. Probe how much support you and your PI get from mentors and the research support office.

Last edited:
I mean, just how high up the pole are you trying to climb? I'm imagining that with a Goldwater you must have been quite a strong applicant; if you have the rest of your ducks in a row you'll still have a shot at top schools. I'd imagine that it would be a slight benefit (over no Goldwater at all). As far as not wanting to do a PhD anymore, that doesn't seem like it would be an issue except maybe at the likes of Harvard or Hopkins, and there it would be a minor one. Good luck!
Thank you for your reply–I really appreciate it! May I ask why you think the T5 schools would possibly care about no PhD as opposed to the other schools?

I certainly believe anyone with an international prestigious scholarship has had unique opportunities for leadership in their field.

Maybe this is really nothing to worry about. With the Scholarship, you clearly show a strong mastery in scientific and academic competency. Again, you going to med school is an issue with Goldwater, not you.

Do your homework and pick schools that may appeal to you with research opportunities to complement any residency interests. If you want a research year anyway, you have a lot of schools to choose from. If you haven't done so, check out the CCLCM program or Mayo which seems to be very research focused. Probe how much support you and your PI get from mentors and the research support office.
Thank you for your reply :) I am very grateful for the thoroughness in your response

Hi everyone,

Ik there is a very similar thread to this question, but I saw that it was from over 10 years ago, so I wanted to ask again in case anything has changed.

I was wondering how it would look for MD only applications (albeit to research focused schools) if you have a goldwater scholarship. At the time of applying for the scholarship, I genuinely wanted to do MD/PhD with a focus on translational research, but my career interests have shifted and I think MD only would be best for me. Would it reflect poorly on me that I have a goldwater and now am abandoning the PhD part?

Please let me know your thoughts–I apologize if this is a naive question. Thank you for your help!
Do you still want to do research in medical school and beyond?

Do you still want to do research in medical school and beyond?
I do, I just don't plan on having a crazy focus on basic science research. I definitely plan on going into academic medicine, but most of the doctors I've worked with in the department of a very research heavy subspecialty at a T20 school are MD only and lead pretty incredible research, which is why I don't want to spend another 4 years doing a PhD.

I do, I just don't plan on having a crazy focus on basic science research. I definitely plan on going into academic medicine, but most of the doctors I've worked with in the department of a very research heavy subspecialty at a T20 school are MD only and lead pretty incredible research, which is why I don't want to spend another 4 years doing a PhD.
Do these doctors do basic science/mechanistic biology/wet lab research with MDs only? How did they train up in such reseach? Via research fellowships?

Thank you for your reply–I really appreciate it! May I ask why you think the T5 schools would possibly care about no PhD as opposed to the other schools?
Maybe being seen as wishy-washy or not knowing what you want, and they have a lot of stellar applicants. They might not care at all, for what it's worth. You're going to be platinum, not golden, if you do well on the MCAT and have decent ECs.

I don’t think Goldwater adds too much value to MD only application. What it tells is you have strong research experience and schools that value research will look at your research anyway. My candidate didn’t bother to apply for Goldwater knowing that they have no intention to apply for Ph.D. and instead opted for lesser known scholarship which funded summer research in Europe and got good acceptances.