Golijan Transcript vs. Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheMaestro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So I was originally planning on listening to the Golijan lectures while following along with the transcript (I know he says not to write anything but following along in the transcript helps me). Needless to say this is a bit time consuming as every lecture is near one hour.

So question #1: What do people here think about just reading the transcripts instead of listening to him AND reading? The transcripts have everything he says and it is a lot faster.

Question #2: Should I maybe follow the audio with his Rapid Review (3rd ed) book? The books is heavy in detail and in pictures so its a bit intimidating but would you people recommend just reading the book, following the audio w/ the book, or just scrapping the book all together and only use the transcripts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a BIG advocate of the audio transcripts, one of my prized possessions in the prep arsenal.

# 1. I would do the transcripts alone- scrap the audio.This actually depends on how much time you have at hand, if you have ample time , then go ahead with the audio.But transcript reading works best for me.

#2 : Though not a big fan of the RR book , I think to steer safe it's imperative to go through it.I do it without the audio again cuz after reading RR, the transcripts are a cinch.Vice versa.

Poppy fills in those defects in your knowledge seamlessly.Be sure to utilize it!

Last edited:
Poppy fills in those defects in your knowledge seamlessly.Be sure to utilize it!

Absolutely. If for no other reason, use it as a reference when you're going through FA and come across a disease/condition that just has a bunch of stupid symptoms or causative factors listed that make no sense. Flip to the corresponding page in RR, and voila, usually you'll find an explanation (a simple example would be FA listing anemia as a side effect of Vit C deficiency with no further explanation . . . I completely forgot that Vit C is important in both Fe and Folate stores/maintenance, so a deficiency could cause either microcytic/macrocytic anemia, or a combo).

I honestly didn't like the transcripts and preferred the audio. So I guess it depends on whether you learn better when you read or listen to a lecture. Do what has worked for you in med school.

if you have time do audios, you can even speed it up a bit, after that transcript is perfect. also its easier to search for items in the transcripts