goljan high yeild notes any thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kanyanta

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone who has already taken step 1 think they are worth a look???

Members don't see this ad.

I have not, but someone who did told me they wished that he should have looked at them even more carefully (he still got a 250 though and said that those helped him tremendously). Take that for what its worth.

Yeah... Those were the best set of notes. I'm studying for step III and still pull them out from time to time. A++++++ Step 1 = 221/90, Step 2 237/96 used them for both.

Maybe 3 steps ago it was worth it, but I just took Step 1 last week and looked over the notes again that morning. Not very helpful.
I think they've changed the questions a lot since he wrote them.

Just an opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which high yield notes are you guys talking about? 30 pages, 100 pages, 500 pages etc

I have listened to Dr. Goljan lecture in Pathology for Kaplan and he is excellent. I would love to get a copy of his Kaplan Pathology notes. Does anyone out there have a copy that you could send me??

Thanks
RON

Hi Ron,

If you want Goljan's notes, you can get the rapid review pathology. He is my pathology professor and a large chunk of the notes he gives us is included in the Rapid Review with the high yeild points on the side of the pages. The exams at the back of the book and the CD are also very similar to the study questions he gives us with each note packet. Good luck.

Ron Dudek said:
I have listened to Dr. Goljan lecture in Pathology for Kaplan and he is excellent. I would love to get a copy of his Kaplan Pathology notes. Does anyone out there have a copy that you could send me??

Thanks
RON

Ron, I'm mad at you for being one year late on your new High Yield Molecular Biology book :D . I wish it was released this year instead of next year!

BTW, Good Job on revamping High Yield Histology. The integrations that you made to the other subjects is Goljanesque.

p53 said:
Ron, I'm mad at you for being one year late on your new High Yield Molecular Biology book :D . I wish it was released this year instead of next year!

BTW, Good Job on revamping High Yield Histology. The integrations that you made to the other subjects is Goljanesque.

the Ron??? no??!!
i feel like i know this man inside and out..
no way, not THE RON
streetdoc

What's up with this: "Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) is believed by some to cause acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS)." I also don't put my stock in the claim that DiGeorge's syndrome was a deletion of chromosome 23.

streetdoc said:
the Ron??? no??!!
i feel like i know this man inside and out..
no way, not THE RON
streetdoc

Pox in a box said:
I agree with p7/11's assessment but don't put too much stock in someone (Ron) who said the following verbatim: "Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) is believed by some to cause acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS)." I also don't put my stock in the same guy who claimed that DiGeorge's syndrome was a deletion of chromosome 23.

I do put my faith in Goljan, however. His students probably exaggerate a lot but I'd say at least 60% of what they say is true examworthy material even a couple of years down the pike. He's the closest thing to a poster child I can imagine for the NBME. His lectures are great. I've never stayed awake this long in my life. Unfortunately they DO check you at the door for audio recording devices (I couldn't believe it).

Let's show a little respect, shall well? It is Dr. Dudek.

The only reason I referenced him by his first name is because during our private message exchanges he has referenced himself to me by his first name.

Pox in a box said:
I agree with p7/11's assessment but don't put too much stock in someone (Ron) who said the following verbatim: "Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) is believed by some to cause acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS)." I also don't put my stock in the same guy who claimed that DiGeorge's syndrome was a deletion of chromosome 23.

I do put my faith in Goljan, however. His students probably exaggerate a lot but I'd say at least 60% of what they say is true examworthy material even a couple of years down the pike. He's the closest thing to a poster child I can imagine for the NBME. His lectures are great. I've never stayed awake this long in my life. Unfortunately they DO check you at the door for audio recording devices (I couldn't believe it).

Dear Pox in a box
I was wondering when someone was going to notice my provocative statement about AIDS. It shows you read my book very carefully. Good job. If you want an interesting read after you take the USMLE, you can read "Inventing the AIDS virus" by Dr. Peter Duesberg ISBN#0895264706. Even Dr. Kary Mullis the Nobel laureate for discovering the polymerase chain reaction has more than strong doubts about the linked between HIV and AIDS. Don't forget that DR. Peter Gallo was found guilty in court and got fired from NIH for stealing and lying about the HIV virus he got from France.
The DiGeorge's syndrome is simply a typo mistake that got through. Sorry.
Good luck in your studies.
RON or perhaps DR. Ron Dudek

supersars said:
Hi Ron,

If you want Goljan's notes, you can get the rapid review pathology. He is my pathology professor and a large chunk of the notes he gives us is included in the Rapid Review with the high yeild points on the side of the pages. The exams at the back of the book and the CD are also very similar to the study questions he gives us with each note packet. Good luck.

Dear superstars
Thanks for the info about the Goljan notes. I will buy the book tomorrow. You were lucky to have Dr. Goljan for pathology. He is very good.
Dr. Ron Dudek

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Dudek, you may become the next "Dr. Goljan". I am not a HY fan, but am impressed by the comments on your book--will have to pick it up, and will let you know how much of it helped for the real exam. Thank.

Ron Dudek said:
Dear Pox in a box
I was wondering when someone was going to notice my provocative statement about AIDS. It shows you read my book very carefully. Good job. If you want an interesting read after you take the USMLE, you can read "Inventing the AIDS virus" by Dr. Peter Duesberg ISBN#0895264706. Even Dr. Kary Mullis the Nobel laureate for discovering the polymerase chain reaction has more than strong doubts about the linked between HIV and AIDS. Don't forget that DR. Peter Gallo was found guilty in court and got fired from NIH for stealing and lying about the HIV virus he got from France.
The DiGeorge's syndrome is simply a typo mistake that got through. Sorry.
Good luck in your studies.
RON or perhaps DR. Ron Dudek

I wouldn't call it a typo if it was made multiple times. How did this splip throught the editors? Don't take it personal though. In my exhaustive studying for Step 1, I've found many errors in every single source I've used. First Aid is definitely the worst. Second place would have to go to BRS Physiology. I can't believe how I didn't realize the errors when I read that book last year.

Back to HY Embryology, how many thousands of students have missed the CATCH-22 DiGeorge syndrome on an exam (more likely on class exams because people do not know how to write good USMLE-type questions) because no errata sheet was made public? Am I the only one since the publishing that's noted this error?

Welcome aboard, friend. Sorry to catch you off guard. I assumed you were an imposter, about as much as Edward J Goljan from a couple of months ago. By the way, there is no way to verify that this is Dr. Dudek. Most imposters actually put their school's website URL as their homepage. If you were smart, you would have put your personal homepage and research link.

Pox in a box said:
I wouldn't call it a typo if it was made multiple times. How did this splip throught the editors? Don't take it personal though. In my exhaustive studying for Step 1, I've found many errors in every single source I've used. First Aid is definitely the worst. Second place would have to go to BRS Physiology. I can't believe how I didn't realize the errors when I read that book last year.

Back to HY Embryology, how many thousands of students have missed the CATCH-22 DiGeorge syndrome on an exam (more likely on class exams because people do not know how to write good USMLE-type questions) because no errata sheet was made public? Am I the only one since the publishing that's noted this error?

Either way, I'm curious. Do you stand by your claim in HY Neuroanatomy that almost every single concept tested on Step 1 is contained within the pages of your work? First Aid and Kaplan have made several dubious claims such as these and have been flamed vehemently because of this. Welcome aboard, friend. Sorry to catch you off guard. I assumed you were an imposter, about as much as Edward J Goljan from a couple of months ago. By the way, there is no way to verify that this is Dr. Dudek. Most imposters actually put their school's website URL as their homepage. If you were smart, you would have put your personal homepage and research link.

He used his real email address. It is him. Believe it.

I would think that the real Dr. Dudek would try and contact Dr. Goljan if he wanted to take a look at his notes, instead of trying to get a possibly illegal copy from an internet message board... Copyright issues are usually a huge deal with professors...

Pox in a box said:

Either way, I'm curious. Do you stand by your claim in HY Neuroanatomy that almost every single concept tested on Step 1 is contained within the pages of your work? First Aid and Kaplan have made several dubious claims such as these and have been flamed vehemently because of this. Welcome aboard, friend. Sorry to catch you off guard. I assumed you were an imposter, about as much as Edward J Goljan from a couple of months ago. By the way, there is no way to verify that this is Dr. Dudek. Most imposters actually put their school's website URL as their homepage. If you were smart, you would have put your personal homepage and research link.

as far as i know, POX, HY neuro is by Dr. Fix from WV-Marshall SOM. and in my now 2nd time thru the 2005 edition, i haven't seen that statement. maybe an update was made. however, the idea of supporting something kery mullis believes and "spouts" pretty often will never win my over. that guy maybe a PCR genius, but i'm sure there is a bit o' crack in his wheates.
streetdoc
now back to Dr. Fix

streetdoc said:
as far as i know, POX, HY neuro is by Dr. Fix from WV-Marshall SOM. and in my now 2nd time thru the 2005 edition, i haven't seen that statement. maybe an update was made. however, the idea of supporting something kery mullis believes and "spouts" pretty often will never win my over. that guy maybe a PCR genius, but i'm sure there is a bit o' crack in his wheates.
streetdoc
now back to Dr. Fix

You're right streetdoc. I didn't mean to give Dudek credit for Fix's work. I guess I have beef with Fix, though I don't remember any blatant errors that are inexcusable like I have seen with other books. These late night study sessions and morning-afternoon lectures are getting to me... :sleep:

Pox in a box said:
You're right streetdoc. I didn't mean to give Dudek credit for Fix's work. I guess I have beef with Fix, though I don't remember any blatant errors that are inexcusable like I have seen with other books. These late night study sessions and morning-afternoon lectures are getting to me... :sleep:

Pox, check your PM.

The Goljan lectures I listened to went along verbatim with the Stars Pathology review by Dr. Goljan...
The brown book... the questions at the end are money... got some of the same cut sections of the brain on my real exam... no joke...
And Dr. Dudek... used both Hi Yield Anatomy and Embryology... good stuff...

Kluver_Bucy said:
Which high yield notes are you guys talking about? 30 pages, 100 pages, 500 pages etc

Which ones are the best, the ones at the end of the 500 pages, the 36, or the 100? Omar?

I dont have the 500 notes. I havent looked at the 100p notes (who has time for this anyway?) The 36 p notes are HY. These are pretty much remembered questions. Set aside a day for these. I could say that 5-20 q I got came from the 36 p notes. Man these USMLE people are lazy, I was expecting some "new" test. No way, they are using old quesitons over and over again. Thats what makes First Aid and goljan so good. Atleast that was my expereince, others said that the HY notes werent HY. Maybe I got an "old" USMLE? who knows?

omarsaleh66 said:
I dont have the 500 notes. I havent looked at the 100p notes (who has time for this anyway?) The 36 p notes are HY. These are pretty much remembered questions. Set aside a day for these. I could say that 5-20 q I got came from the 36 p notes. Man these USMLE people are lazy, I was expecting some "new" test. No way, they are using old quesitons over and over again. Thats what makes First Aid and goljan so good. Atleast that was my expereince, others said that the HY notes werent HY. Maybe I got an "old" USMLE? who knows?

maybe you are just honest? ;)
streetdoc

omarsaleh66 said:

How do you find/purchase the Goljan HY notes? I am assuming they come in different formats 36/100/500 pages? I would rather not purchase from ebay, but a search of Amazon came up with no results...

Ebay is the only way. I looked for "legit" "licensed" copies.
They dont exist... (except for the adapted Rapid Review)
That said, I highly reccomend his stuff.

Well..."I know someone" who is about to win a bid on ebay for the lecture set. I'll let you know how "he" feels about the quality of the set once "he" receives it. ;)