Goljan or Pathoma?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iki4life

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. I'm looking for the book that is EASIER TO UNDERSTAND, not how long it takes to finish.
2. i am doing behavioral sciences and path is the next subject, so i should buy the book asap.
3. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

no info on Pathoma (someone will chime in with it, though)

Goljan RR (plus audio if you want) is great but here's the catch: it's entirely too detailed to read cover to cover. It has blue margin notes that tell you what's important (always read these) and black text that goes into detail (only read these if you don't understand the corresponding blue text in the margin).

So, read the blue notes in the margins + charts + pictures. Basically, anything he thinks is important is either written in blue, outlined in blue, in a blue box, or a picture. So read/look at those.

When you don't understand the actual logic/pathology behind something in the margin, look next to it in the black text for an explanation. It's very quick and very easy to understand if you do it that way. Trying to slog through 500 pages of full text will take you an eternity and probably just fry your brain.

It also seems like his blue text in the margin hits on the same points that his audio does so you could probably do without audio although it's nice to be able to listen when your eyes are exhausted from reading, when you're driving or at the gym.

Hope that helps.

I'm doing Path study right now. Pathoma is excellent; easy to get through. Sattar is a great lecturer. Every time he says "this is high yield, this is frequently tested" I highlight that in a different color and transfer that tidbit to my 1st Aid. Rapid Review Goljan is just too dense; I use it strictly for the images. I listen to Goljan audio in the car; anything he says is a "bonus" for me. If I have time I may go and read his audio transcripts.

So, buy Pathoma. It is the best path resource for step1.

In terms of being easy to understand, I think it's hard to beat Pathoma. While he does not cover every single possible topic that is fair game for Step 1 (not sure if anyone does that), Dr. Sattar does a great job of presenting his material in a clear, concise, ORGANIZED manner.

I own RR Pathology and have listened to the Goljan audio lectures, and after using both I'm 100% "Team Pathoma". RR Path is a great book to reference if something doesn't make sense to me, but I feel like I get so much more out of listening to a Pathoma chapter than I do plowing my way through RR Path and trying to follow along as Papi tells stories about his grandkids.

Both are great resources, but if I had to pick one or the other, I'd go with Pathoma.

Members don't see this ad :)
Admittedly, I haven't used Goljan, but that's just because II love, love, LOVE Pathoma. Dr Sattar is so concise and clear. He has saved my ass numerous times this year.

Admittedly, I haven't used Goljan, but that's just because II love, love, LOVE Pathoma. Dr Sattar is so concise and clear. He has saved my ass numerous times this year.

He is saving mine right now! don't hesitate/question/ponder...just do it

Pathoma is path.
Goljan integrates.
I preview topics with Pathoma when I was still doing Path. He's very helpful but not up to the level of detail required for my ****ty tests.
Now I'm doing Goljan to integrate Path and other subjects.

thanks everyone..

looks like 5-1 pathoma is winning lol

amazon doesn't have pathoma available...does anybody know of other websites to buy it?

If you have time use both

I started off with Goljan audio, finished them in about 8 days while annotating some information and going through the pictures while listening to the audio. I used RR while doing my organ-system approach. He does a good job integrating other subjects.

Closer to the date of my exam, the topics I was weak in (e.g. Reproductive, Respiratory), I looked at in Pathoma and I agree he's a splendid teacher. He's straighter to the point and obviously, his videos are quite recent.

I vote Gojan. The guy has like 30 years worth of leaked step 1 questions that went into his notes. He doesn't hide the fact that his students always tell him the questions on their exams.

I've taken ~5 NBME's and probably had ~20-25 questions so far that I only knew because I came across them in a Goljan resource.

His blue text + tables + images are extremely high yield. The black text is comprehensive and contains mechanisms for practically every single disease process. He works a lot of physiology, micro, and pharm into his text and integrates material well.

If you're gonna skip Gojan RR, do yourself a favor and AT LEAST go through the HY content in the first half of the text.

Reactions: 1 user
1. I'm looking for the book that is EASIER TO UNDERSTAND, not how long it takes to finish.
2. i am doing behavioral sciences and path is the next subject, so i should buy the book asap.
3. thanks!

For the love of good God. PATHOMA, PATHOMA, PATHOMA AND PATHOMA.

I have been using Pathoma throughout my second year (still going)...and he's been awesome. He has videos and his review book (much more condensed as compared with RR Goljan).

You can purchase it on his site Pathoma.com
You may be able to email him to get a discount. I believe he only gives the discounts if you get it at a certain time period though (i.e. beginning of the year...August-ish). Still really cheap and very worth it.

Now, I also have Goljan's audio and RR book. I have passively listened to his lectures throughout the year and I used it as a supplement to Pathoma and my course notes. He definitely has lot more stuff in his book and integrates other subjects more. Pathoma tries to do it as well, but he probably intentionally didn't do it because he wants to make it short and condensed. Dr Sattar has ~10 years of experience and First Aid 2013 gave him an A+ (Goljan got an A+ as well).

Major reasons to use Goljan as well --> BLUE HIGH YIELDS, TABLES, PICTURES.
Also, he has chapters that are not in Pathoma (eg Immunopathology, Nutrition, etc). I counted about 5-7 chapters. I plan to go through those more thoroughly than the others.

So, I'm not going to tell you that Pathoma is better than Goljan, but I will tell you that they are both good and complement each other well -- Pathoma videos explain well while Goljan has really useful things in his book as a reference.

So, I hear that Pathology is ~25-30% of the exam (excluding pathophys). How much of Pathoma and Goljan cover that?

I vote Gojan. The guy has like 30 years worth of leaked step 1 questions that went into his notes. He doesn't hide the fact that his students always tell him the questions on their exams.

I've taken ~5 NBME's and probably had ~20-25 questions so far that I only knew because I came across them in a Goljan resource.

His blue text + tables + images are extremely high yield. The black text is comprehensive and contains mechanisms for practically every single disease process. He works a lot of physiology, micro, and pharm into his text and integrates material well.

If you're gonna skip Gojan RR, do yourself a favor and AT LEAST go through the HY content in the first half of the text.

I agree with a lot here.

I say it's a tie, because they are different tools. Pathoma is to understand the basics of path. Goljan is comprehensive and integrative (less about understanding, more focused on mastery). Pathoma omits a lot and Goljan covers more than you need to know.

If I had to pick 1 then I'd say Pathoma just because it's shorter and easier to master. Goljan is for those who are dedicated and want a comprehensive integrative source.

I use both.

I agree with a lot here.

I say it's a tie, because they are different tools. Pathoma is to understand the basics of path. Goljan is comprehensive and integrative (less about understanding, more focused on mastery). Pathoma omits a lot and Goljan covers more than you need to know.

If I had to pick 1 then I'd say Pathoma just because it's shorter and easier to master. Goljan is for those who are dedicated and want a comprehensive integrative source.

I use both.

seriously, I'm tired of posts that asks "which is better?" when they are unique resources that are best used in tandem with each other.

I think it comes down to what learning style you like best. Pathoma has video lectures to go along with the book and helps keep me engaged. Goljan has more info but I lose focus very fast because in my opinion it isn't an easy read.

I agree with a lot here.

I use both.

Agreed, both are great but Pathoma>Goljan. I also use both, Goljan can be used to clear up some complex pathophysiology that is not written clearly in most books. The best resource you can buy outside of FA and Uworld for the USMLE is the Pathoma videos/book. However, just buy both, your Step 1 score is too important to only pick 1 of these great resources and not spend the $100 or $35 extra dollars to buy the other.